Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are their any Jimmy Thunder fans here?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always enjoyed watching him. he was as strong as an ox but extremely vulnerable to counter shots. he did well with the bigger slower heavies but the slick or quicker handed guys gave him big problems

Comment

LOL hell yeah Jimmy Thunder, seemed like he was always on TV and almost always going to win but then didnt lol.

Comment

TNF legendary heavyweight along with Andrew Golota and Samson Pou'ha or however you spell his last name. I miss that show.

Comment

I hope it's cool to revive this old thread.

All yes Jimmy thunder, incredible power, had both a left and a right hook, no jab, not much of a straight right, but was easily one of the most entertaining fighters of that time. Lost to anyone that had a good jab. Regardless of all that very enjoyable to watch and I appreciated his humility when he was in the spotlight.

I don't get to use this story very often because not a lot of people outside of boxing fans really knew who he was.

In the early 2000's my ex-wife took off my kid to Las Vegas and I spent a couple years flying there on a regular basis to see my child. I would sometimes take the kid to Sunset Park between Henderson and Las Vegas. One day when I was there with my kid I noticed a large Polynesian man hanging around the benches and recognized him. Being a fan of Tuesday night fights I had to at least see if it was him and maybe let them know that I enjoyed his performances.

He seemed a little scared that I noticed him but the fact that I greeted him in the Samoan language, knew little bit about his culture, and was a former welterweight myself in my army days, he automatically opened up to me and was very congenial. Although I was with my child we did talk for a few moments and he explained to me that he was going through some tough times and actually sleeping in that park. He even asked me for whatever spare cash I had because he said he hadn't eaten much. It seemed very true because he was a little gaunt from what I can see, he smelled really bad, and had grass stuck in his disheveled dreadlocks.

I only had a couple bucks on me at the time but I told him that I was going to drop my kid off in a couple hours and I will come back and bring him something to eat. He did look at me like I was bull*****ing him, but I told him "TOFA" (the Samoan goodbye) and I forcefully insisted that he stick around for me to bring him something.

After I dropped my kid off I stopped at the ATM, picked up something for him, and headed to the park. With a super burrito and a couple large Waters, I went searching for him but didn't see him. I ended up walking around the park calling out "Talofa Peau" (the Samoan greeting and his last name), and he ended up coming out of some bushes. I gave him what I had along with $50 (I wish I could have given him more but I had child support and travel costs that were much more important at the time)

He almost looked like he wanted to cry from my gestures to feed him and help him out, especially when I explained to him that I couldn't give him more due to the difficult situation I was in. He didn't divulge too much to me about his situation but he did say that he hid in the bushes because the authorities were after him for knocking some drunk guy out at a street party. I simply said "Jimmy you still have a lot of fans out here and we want you to do well", I shook his hand and left him to eat.

Too many fighters fall to the wayside for a lot of reasons, and let's face it, I was never pro but I was a welterweight in the Army and know what it's like to get your bell rung. There's no question that this dangerous sport we love does affect how people function in their mind during and after a career in boxing. I wish I could've done more.

Thanks for reading.
          Last edited by club fighter; 09-26-2016, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by club fighter View Post

All yes Jimmy thunder, incredible power, had both a left and a right hook, no jab, not much of a straight right, but was easily one of the most entertaining fighters of that time. Lost to anyone that had a good jab. Regardless of all that very enjoyable to watch and I appreciated his humility when he was in the spotlight.

I don't get to use this story very often because not a lot of people outside of boxing fans really knew who he was.

In the early 2000's my ex-wife took off my kid to Las Vegas and I spent a couple years flying there on a regular basis to see my child. I would sometimes take the kid to Sunset Park between Henderson and Las Vegas. One day when I was there with my kid I noticed a large Polynesian man hanging around the benches and recognized him. Being a fan of Tuesday night fights I had to at least see if it was him and maybe let them know that I enjoyed his performances.

He seemed a little scared that I noticed him but the fact that I greeted him in the Samoan language, new little bit about his culture, and was a former welterweight myself in my army days, he automatically opened up to me and was very congenial. Although I was with my child we did talk for a few moments and he explained to me that he was going through some tough times and actually sleeping in that park. He even asked me for whatever spare cash I had because he said he hadn't eaten much. It seemed very true because he was a little gaunt from what I can see, he smelled really bad, and had grass stuck in his disheveled dreadlocks.

I only had a couple bucks on me at the time but I told him that I was going to drop my kid off in a couple hours and I will come back and bring them some to eat. He did look at me like I was bull*****ing him, but I told him "TOFA" (the Samoan goodbye) and I forcefully insisted that he stick around for me to bring him something.

After I got my kid off I stopped at the ATM, picked up something for him, and headed to the park. With a super burrito and a couple large Waters, I went searching for him but didn't see him. I ended up walking around the park calling out "Talofa Peau" (the Samoan greeting and his last name), and he ended up coming out of some bushes. I gave him what I had along with $50 (I wish I could have given him more but I had child support and travel costs that were much more important at the time)

He almost looked like he wanted to cry from my gestures to feed him and help him out, especially when I explained to him that I couldn't give them more to to the difficult situation I was in. He didn't divulge much to me about his situation but he did say that he hid in the bushes because the authorities were after him for knocking some drunk guy out at a street party. I simply said "Jimmy you still have a lot of fans out here and we want you to do well", I shook his hand and left him to eat.

Too many fighters fall to the wayside for a lot of reasons, and let's face it, I was never pro-but I was a welterweight in the Army and no was like to get your bell rung. There's no question that this dangerous sport we love does affect how people function in their mind during and after a career in boxing. I wish I could've done more.

Thanks for reading.

Thats a shame. I remember Jimmy well, I hate to hear thing have gone south for him.

Comment

Originally posted by club fighter View Post

He seemed a little scared that I noticed him but the fact that I greeted him in the Samoan language, knew little bit about his culture, and was a former welterweight myself in my army days, he automatically opened up to me and was very congenial. Although I was with my child we did talk for a few moments and he explained to me that he was going through some tough times and actually sleeping in that park. He even asked me for whatever spare cash I had because he said he hadn't eaten much. It seemed very true because he was a little gaunt from what I can see, he smelled really bad, and had grass stuck in his disheveled dreadlocks.

I only had a couple bucks on me at the time but I told him that I was going to drop my kid off in a couple hours and I will come back and bring him something to eat. He did look at me like I was bull*****ing him, but I told him "TOFA" (the Samoan goodbye) and I forcefully insisted that he stick around for me to bring him something.

After I dropped my kid off I stopped at the ATM, picked up something for him, and headed to the park. With a super burrito and a couple large Waters, I went searching for him but didn't see him. I ended up walking around the park calling out "Talofa Peau" (the Samoan greeting and his last name), and he ended up coming out of some bushes. I gave him what I had along with $50 (I wish I could have given him more but I had child support and travel costs that were much more important at the time)

He almost looked like he wanted to cry from my gestures to feed him and help him out, especially when I explained to him that I couldn't give him more due to the difficult situation I was in. He didn't divulge too much to me about his situation but he did say that he hid in the bushes because the authorities were after him for knocking some drunk guy out at a street party. I simply said "Jimmy you still have a lot of fans out here and we want you to do well", I shook his hand and left him to eat.

Too many fighters fall to the wayside for a lot of reasons, and let's face it, I was never pro but I was a welterweight in the Army and know what it's like to get your bell rung. There's no question that this dangerous sport we love does affect how people function in their mind during and after a career in boxing. I wish I could've done more.

Thanks for reading.

thanks for sharing

green K

Comment

Entertaining fighter..

If you were a prospect looking to get ranked in the late 90s you had to beat jimmy thunder

Comment

Originally posted by deanrw View Post
                  He was entertaining. I tuned into his fights

I remember that fight...cameras weren't even in position yet.

Comment

Ah, the thunde from down under. He of the glass chin.

Comment

Working...
                    X