No announcement yet.

Tennessee judge changes child's name against parents wishes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tennessee judge changes child's name against parents wishes

NEWPORT, Tenn. (AP) — A judge in Tennessee changed a 7-month-old boy's name to Martin from Messiah, saying the religious name was earned by one person and "that one person is Jesus Christ."

Child Support Magistrate Lu Ann Ballew ordered the name change last week, according to WBIR-TV. The boy's parents were in court because they could not agree on the child's last name, but when the judge heard the boy's first name, she ordered it changed, too.

"It could put him at odds with a lot of people and at this point he has had no choice in what his name is," Ballew said.

It was the first time she ordered a first name change, the judge said.

Messiah was No. 4 among the fastest-rising baby names in 2012, according to the Social Security Administration's annual list of popular baby names.

The boy's mother, Jaleesa Martin, of Newport, said she will appeal. She says Messiah is unique and she liked how it sounded alongside the boy's two siblings — Micah and Mason.

"Everybody believes what they want so I think I should be able to name my child what I want to name him, not someone else," Martin said.

Ballew said the name Messiah could cause problems if the child grows up in ****e County, which has a large Christian population.

"The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ," the judge said.
    http://news.yahoo.com/tenn-judge-cha...215423538.html

It's a very unique name however it would no doubt would induce mocking in the form of a certain "Life of Brian" quote.

He's not Messiah, he's a very naughty boy.

The judge is a total moron, the religious justification is total nonsense. Unless names are flat-out derogatory or insulting terms, names with nasty connotations that have become a symbol of very real evils or deemed ridiculous to the point that it will result in the child being bullied then I don't understand the reason for changing them.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post

It's a very unique name however it would no doubt would induce mocking in the form of a certain "Life of Brian" quote.

He's not Messiah, he's a very naughty boy.

The judge is a total moron, the religious justification is total nonsense. Unless names are flat-out derogatory or insulting terms, names with nasty connotations that have become a symbol of very real evils or deemed ridiculous to the point that it will result in the child being bullied then I don't understand the reason for changing them.
      "Religious bat****tery."

Comment

there used to be a guy called God Shamgod in college and perhaps pro basketball. This judge sounds like a child molesting, closet ***.

Comment

Hold on, the boy's mother's surname is Martin, yet the judge has changed the boys first name to Martin?

I think Martin Martin sounds more ridiculous than Messiah Martin.

Comment

Originally posted by black.ink View Post
            Hold on, the boy's mother's surname is Martin, yet the judge has changed the boys first name to Martin?

Neville Neville completely disagrees.

Comment

I knew this mechanic and owner of his shop name Saiton he had a Colombian mechanic that worked for him named Jesus

Comment

Originally posted by jose830 View Post
                I knew this mechanic and owner of his shop name Saiton he had a Colombian mechanic that worked for him named Jesus
                an epic battle between good vs evil.

You can`t write that ****.

Comment

Originally posted by black.ink View Post

For real.

My girlfriend dated a dude named Richard Richards once. I don't know WTF his parents were thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by ßringer View Post
                    For real.

My girlfriend dated a dude named Richard Richards once. I don't know WTF his parents were thinking.
                    also known as Dick Dicks.

Comment

Working...
                    X