Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help: How much did Canelo make vs Cotto??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: How much did Canelo make vs Cotto??

Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember thinking to myself holy **** Canelo got the shorter end of the stick. Was it 75%-25% in Cotto's favor? Guaranteed purses were $5m for Canelo and $15m for Cotto and I think Canelo got all of the Mexican TV rights.

So Canelo, who was already a proven PPV draw doing 2.2m with Floyd was THAT much of a B-side to Cotto that he accepted 25% just to make the fight. Why would he do that? I'll tell you why. He was confident of beating Cotto and he knew that it would only make him an even bigger star having that win over a star. He did great numbers vs Floyd but he didn't win.

So why don't team GGG do the same thing? They are confident they will win right? The odds are ridiculous in GGG's favour. Are you trying to tell me GGG is a bigger draw relative to Canelo than Canelo was to Cotto? Please answer this question.
    Last edited by fighter1234; 09-23-2016, 12:44 AM.

Originally posted by fighter1234 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember thinking to myself holy **** Canelo got the shorter end of the stick. Was it 75%-25% in Cotto's favor? Guaranteed purses were $5m for Canelo and $15m for Cotto and I think Canelo got all of the Mexican TV rights.

So Canelo, who was already a proven PPV draw doing 2.2m with Floyd was THAT much of a B-side to Cotto that he accepted 25% just to make the fight. Why would he do that? I'll tell you why. He was confident of beating Cotto and he knew that it would only make him an even bigger star having that win over a star. He did great numbers vs Floyd but he didn't win.

So why don't team GGG do the same thing? They are confident they will win right? The odds are ridiculous in GGG's favour. Are you trying to tell me GGG is a bigger draw relative to Canelo than Canelo was to Cotto? Please answer this question.
    Alvarez's numbers are always skewed for the simple fact that the never count his Mexico TV money on the disclosed purses. Beyond that, with the site fee split being what it was (the $15m site fee from the MGM Grand, with a share offset to Roc Nation for not going to New York, which had the highest actual site fee), the breakdown is screwy.

Beyond the opaque numbers and shares, it's pretty well accepted that the fight did $58m in PPV revenue ($29m to the fighters/promoters after paying the distributors).

the guarantees were what they were, but I'm fairly certain that the money came out nearly 50/50 once everything was split up.

Comment

Working...
    X