Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should a Knockdown Caused By an Illegal Punch Count as a Knockdown?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should a Knockdown Caused By an Illegal Punch Count as a Knockdown?

You see in a lot of fights were Fighter A knocks down fighter B with a punch to the back of the head that causes his opponent to go down (ex. Third round of Prescott vs Lawson) but you would think any punch deemed illegal wouldn't count towards a knockdown.

And then you have insistences where a fighter is hit and knocked out with an shot to the kidney but since kidney shots are illegal shouldn't the offending fighter be DQ'd instead.

Often the reason a fighter gets hit with such a punch is because he has moved himself into position after the punch has been thrown while trying to avoid being hit. It is not an intentional foul and therefore not illegal on the part of the boxer throwing the punch.

It is the responsibility of a fighter to protect himself at all times. Just ask Ortiz.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverMiles View Post
      You see in a lot of fights were Fighter A knocks down fighter B with a punch to the back of the head that causes his opponent to go down (ex. Third round of Prescott vs Lawson) but you would think any punch deemed illegal wouldn't count towards a knockdown.

And then you have insistences where a fighter is hit and knocked out with an shot to the kidney but since kidney shots are illegal shouldn't the offending fighter be DQ'd instead.
      I was at that fight live,in the second row,and the whole crowd wanted to kill the ref. It was basically a rabbit punch,mixed with a slip,yet he still counted it as a knockdown. If it wasn't for that, Prescott would have gotten a unanimous win on the cards.

Comment

The Lewis-Grant fight still angers me today. I seem to be the only person who thinks it was a travesty that Lewis was given credit for the first KD and KO even though Lewis was holding Grant's head down with his arm. If anything, Lewis should have gotten point taken away.

The Fury-Cunningham KO was also bull****.

Comment

Not quite the same, but I see a ton of fights where a fighter hit and hurts his opponent and then pushes him down and the ref in his ultimate wisdom starts counting. I don't care if a fighter is about to go down, if he is pushed down the ref should not count it.

Comment

If a fighter is knocked down with an illegal punch then it doesn't count as a knock down. If it did then fighters would be encouraged to land low blows etc. to score knock downs and win fights.

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
              The Lewis-Grant fight still angers me today. I seem to be the only person who thinks it was a travesty that Lewis was given credit for the first KD and KO even though Lewis was holding Grant's head down with his arm. If anything, Lewis should have gotten point taken away.

The Fury-Cunningham KO was also bull****.
              Originally posted by TBear View Post
              Not quite the same, but I see a ton of fights where a fighter hit and hurts his opponent and then pushes him down and the ref in his ultimate wisdom starts counting. I don't care if a fighter is about to go down, if he is pushed down the ref should not count it.
              The Lewis-Grant fight leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I wasn't even watching boxing during that time. Many fighters tend to get away with dirty tactics which is one thing, but for those dirty actions to be justified is an entirely different thing.

I agree that a push assisted knockdown shouldn't count. I think refs really need to pay more attention to these kind of things.

Comment

nope they shouldent be ruled a KD, but they usually do

Comment

Little off topic but what do you guys think about neck shots? I was watching Lopez vs rocky lockridge (great fight) and a right hand grazed the neck at the side and Tony Lopez went down. Not like a tumble down it was like a tree falling down looked really weird.

Comment

The quick and short answer is no.

Comment

Working...
                    X