Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where Did This Tradition Go?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I fought amateur shows they would sometimes announce the Golden gloves champions in attendance and local professionals and have them come into the ring. I always thought that was pretty cool.

Comment

To many federations (belts) along with promoters to self centered to be able to work with one another ruins those appearances.
      What fighter wants a little fee to wave, who needs more comps than just a seat! You can show them sitting in the comp seat for nothing instead of introducing them.

I agree the way pre fight was handled years ago had a lot more style and class than today's events. The double introductions from locker to stage to the ring is so stupid. The announcers today sound like carnival barkers and the event takes on a circus element instead of a serious sporting show!

Just listen to the interviews today compared to 40 years ago.
      Would rather hear Manny Steward or Angie Dundee or Eddie Futch talk boxing or listen to Floyd Mayweather Sr. or Garcia Sr. or Guerrero Sr.
      Class vs Trash!

Hell just ring the bell.
      Ray

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
        Oh wow. Haha.

I'll look Mr. Kennedy up on YT. Sounds great.
        No need, here he is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-I97ZcHWjU

Comment

Now they focus on no talent celebrities.

Many young fight fans believe boxing started when they became fans.

At least we have jimmy Lennon Jr, his dad was awesome too.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
            Now they focus on no talent celebrities.

Many young fight fans believe boxing started when they became fans.

At least we have jimmy Lennon Jr, his dad was awesome too.
            Yep and some of them even post here or in the NSB section.

Comment

The announcer might have to announce three different guys as the No. #2 middleweight in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                Haha!

That is one great gimmick.

Comment

Wilders fight recently in Madison brought several generations of HWs out. I'd love for it to come back or at least strapping up a new champion instead of the organisations officials.

Comment

I watched a long version of the first Ali-Liston fight and there was a large number of ex champions doing this.

It would be cool to see this more often in this era.

The last time I saw anything similar to this was Larry Holmes at the Wilder-Stiverne fight.

Comment

I was watching the Giardello-Carter fight the other day and saw where they had about five guys come up and shake hands before the fight, included among them was Joe Frazier. Very classy and cool.

Comment

Working...
                      X