Top 10 greatest fights of all time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WalkerSmithJnr View Post
    List is a mixed bag.

Some are big fights in a historical sense but not great fights in themselves some like Gatti-Ward are certainly exciting but are not exactly the sweet science or historical. But a great thread and everyone's lists are personal to them.
    without a doubt everyone may have a different criteria in which great comes up. does it mean great fighters in closely contested fights that is what I may chose to look at. others may like action fights were one fighter dominates or action fights such as gatti ward which both fighters brought excitement into there wars but there skill level is below the greats.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
      Not having the first Corrales-Castillo fight on that list is tragic.
      There are hundreds of toe to toe battles I could have put down....my list was a selection of historical impact as well physical achievements ....the list would have been endless but I had to give my ten that I think each had its own merit....pacquaio because he was up against a man that was over 17lbs heavier and was dwarfed and yet he simply battered him from the start and never his output was unreal the whole fight....in my pacquaio looked amazing that night.....Louis vs schmelling 2 ...the whole world watched this fight because of world war 2 and it's was litterally the west vs hitlers Germany ...it transcended boxing to a global event

Comment

Originally posted by WalkerSmithJnr View Post
        List is a mixed bag.

Some are big fights in a historical sense but not great fights in themselves some like Gatti-Ward are certainly exciting but are not exactly the sweet science or historical. But a great thread and everyone's lists are personal to them.
        Originally posted by Steve plunger View Post
        There are hundreds of toe to toe battles I could have put down....my list was a selection of historical impact as well physical achievements ....the list would have been endless but I had to give my ten that I think each had its own merit....pacquaio because he was up against a man that was over 17lbs heavier and was dwarfed and yet he simply battered him from the start and never his output was unreal the whole fight....in my pacquaio looked amazing that night.....Louis vs schmelling 2 ...the whole world watched this fight because of world war 2 and it's was litterally the west vs hitlers Germany ...it transcended boxing to a global event
        Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
        without a doubt everyone may have a different criteria in which great comes up. does it mean great fighters in closely contested fights that is what I may chose to look at. others may like action fights were one fighter dominates or action fights such as gatti ward which both fighters brought excitement into there wars but there skill level is below the greats.
        Originally posted by El Pistolero View Post
        But Pacquiao V Margarito is. Never in a lifetime will that ever be a top ten fight
        Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
        Sanchez vs Gomez is better than PAC vs Marg
        Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
        I agree and there is no way the one sided Pacquiao vs Margarito/ Louis vs Schmelling belongs there.
        There are hundreds of toe to toe battles I could have put down....my list was a selection of historical impact as well physical achievements ....the list would have been endless but I had to give my ten that I think each had its own merit....pacquaio because he was up against a man that was over 17lbs heavier come fight night and was dwarfed and yet he simply battered him from the start and never his stopped .his output was unreal the whole fight....in my opinio pacquaio looked amazing that night.....Louis vs schmelling 2 ...the whole world watched this fight because of world war 2 and it's was litterally the west vs hitlers Germany ...it transcended boxing to a global event
        Last edited by The plunger man; 02-06-2016, 07:31 AM.

Comment

It's cool Steve. Different strokes for different folks!

Comment

I recently found this article on in The times and thought I would share and get some opinions on what they consider are the 10 greatest fights ever and give a small clip on why that fight is there number 1

http://time.com/3840197/boxing-maywe...o-ali-frazier/

Here's mine

1 Leonard vs hearns 1
            2 Pryor vs arguello 1
            3 Ali vs foreman
            4 gatti vs ward
            5 Hagler vs Hearns
            6 Pacquaio vs margarita
            7 Duran vs Barkley
            8 Louis vs schmeling 2
            9 Barrera vs morales 1
            10 foreman vs Lyle

Leonard vs hearns 1 still remains the greatest fight I have ever seen....it's not the typical toe to toe slugfest that a lot of fans go for.
            This was a match up of two all time great fighters and it went into the 14th round and under the ring lights the tempature was over 110 degrees in the Las Vegas night.... Hearns was a formidable unbeaten fighter who had knocked out 30 of 32 opponents and he was 6ft '1 with a reach of 78 inches and longer than some heavyweights...he was a true knockout artist.
            The fight was ebb and flow hearns come out and took an early lead and was stalking Leonard trying to land his massive right hand and get a quick knockout....hearns built a small lead by the end of the 5th...in the 6th Leonard landed a left hook come uppercut which hearns failed to see and staggered him...Leonard jumped on and battered hearns in rounds 6,7,8 ..rounds 6 and 7 could have been 10-8 rounds but it wasn't scored it...hearns then changed styles and boxed using his long jab and movement so Leonard then became the hunter and stalked Hearns people didn't know that hearns was also a very good boxer and he showed his versatility ....by the end of the 12th round hearns was ahead again on points ...Leonard was told your blowing it son your blowing it...listen Ray this separates the men from the boys...you got a be quicker you gotta a take it away from him...SPEED. iconic words by the legendary angelo dundee...Leonard came out and caught hearns with a. Straight right and hearns staggered .. Leonard just jumped on him and hit him with at least 20 rapid fire shots and knocked him through the ropes..it's should have been scored a knockdown but it wasn't by Davey pearl ..after he rose to his feet Leonard continued to batter hearns untill he sunk into the ropes and ref did call it a knockdown and the bell saved him.....14th round Leonard stalked Hearns and landed a grazing shot on hearns chin and Hearns staggered along the ropes and Leonard just battered him till the ref stopped it half way through the round...hearns was exhausted and broken...but hearns showed amazing courage to absorb some of the shots Leonard landed and it took everything Leonard had to pull it out from the fire......so for me the fight had everything...skill, power ,ATG fighters, change of styles and a big fight finish that is on most experts lists as the greatest welterweight fight of all time....if some if you have never seen this fight then watch it... Thanks for reading

Thanks for taking the time to make a list Steve...everyone has their favorites. Gomez sanchez, or for that matter Little Red Lopez and Sanchez, Ali Frazier are some incredible ones under the barn burner category.

For history's sake I would put the Tunney Dempsey fight, because of what it represented historically for boxing technique....with Tunney showing how a new and modified Corbett approach could still be effective against the new modern tehniques of Jack's squaring up and using smaller movements.

For the underdog becoming the big dog, we have Hammed versus Barrera, Ali Liston 1, Douglas Tyson, Ali Foreman, Schmelling Louis 1.

These are some that come to mind
            Last edited by billeau2; 02-06-2016, 11:57 AM.

Comment

The first Schmelling Louis fight was more interesting...Schmelling did accomplish somethng amazing. I will edit my post and put that in actually. No it was not a pleasant result...

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                Thanks for taking the time to make a list Steve...everyone has their favorites. Gomez sanchez, or for that matter Little Red Lopez and Sanchez, Ali Frazier are some incredible ones under the barn burner category.

For history's sake I would put the Tunney Dempsey fight, because of what it represented historically for boxing technique....with Tunney showing how a new and modified Corbett approach could still be effective against the new modern tehniques of Jack's squaring up and using smaller movements.

For the underdog becoming the big dog, we have Hammed versus Barrera, Ali Liston 1, Douglas Tyson, Ali Foreman, Schmelling Louis 1.

These are some that come to mind
                For sure mate......I contemplated over Douglas-tyson beczause the shock factor......history and shock wise louis vs schmelling 1 was almost in the mix but I know the 2nd became a very personal matter with opposing countries has they was almost heading into war......also Sanchez & Wilfredo Gomez I still watch now. Chavez & Taylor 1 because the drama and controversy ....saad Muhammad & Yaqui Lopez ..Ali & Liston ..holyfield & bowe 1 and another underdog one that never really gets talked about was Donald curry vs Lloyd honeyghan ...I could of put a list of fight that were just wars and toe to toe bloodbaths ....but greatest fights can have other factors and that's what tried to look at..respect sir

Comment

There are hundreds of toe to toe battles I could have put down....my list was a selection of historical impact as well physical achievements ....the list would have been endless but I had to give my ten that I think each had its own merit....pacquaio because he was up against a man that was over 17lbs heavier come fight night and was dwarfed and yet he simply battered him from the start and never his stopped .his output was unreal the whole fight....in my opinio pacquaio looked amazing that night.....Louis vs schmelling 2 ...the whole world watched this fight because of world war 2 and it's was litterally the west vs hitlers Germany ...it transcended boxing to a global event

You can make an argument for Louis-Schmelling in terms of historical impact. However, there was no historical impact in Pacquiao's win over a washed up Margarito. Regardless of the weight.

Comment

For sure mate......I contemplated over Douglas-tyson beczause the shock factor......history and shock wise louis vs schmelling 1 was almost in the mix but I know the 2nd became a very personal matter with opposing countries has they was almost heading into war......also Sanchez & Wilfredo Gomez I still watch now. Chavez & Taylor 1 because the drama and controversy ....saad Muhammad & Yaqui Lopez ..Ali & Liston ..holyfield & bowe 1 and another underdog one that never really gets talked about was Donald curry vs Lloyd honeyghan ...I could of put a list of fight that were just wars and toe to toe bloodbaths ....but greatest fights can have other factors and that's what tried to look at..respect sir
                    Its why I can't do lists! there are always other fights, or fighters, etc. But it is fun and some guys, yourself included, do a good job of making a comprehensive list.

Comment

Of all hundreds of fights I’ve watched ”live” (i.e. mostly not on place, but at telly), the most memorable one is Julio Cesar Chavez against Meldrick Taylor. Because of the outcome.

If Richard Steele had given Taylor those two extra seconds, had that fight stuck into my mind as it now does? … No, it hadn’t.

At times, circumstances make a fight outstanding …

PS. Just a month before, we’ve seen Douglas KO Tyson, so we thought it was the highlight of the decade. Nothing could match that … could it? …

Comment

Working...
                      X