Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Canelo Alvarez Still Overrated if He Defeats Austin Trout or Sergio Martinez?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fighting_Pride View Post
    canelo certainly is a phenom in his own right, i mean no ones that good at just 22 years of age but he needs to at least defeat trout or another top 154 pounder before he even thinks of fighting mayweather. throw him in with legit opposition and we'll see if he's really that good. everybody wants the mayweather fight, who would want a big pay check win or lose.
    I can tell you are a young buck! Please look up Wilfredo Benitez! You can learn a thing or two and thank me later!

Comment

Ward is so much better than Chavez Jr no promoter would even make that fight. Chavez had one great round and 11 terrible rounds against a lighter punching Sergio. Ward would overwhelm Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Basco View Post
        I can tell you are a young buck! Please look up Wilfredo Benitez! You can learn a thing or two and thank me later!
        benitez is an ATG, he had monster aggression but the most notable of his accolades was he won the WBA belt at just 17. canelo is no where near that level but in today's standards, a young fighter is lucky to even be part of pvp card, not to mention be the main event

Comment

if he does that i'd actually LOVE the mayweather fight
          as it stands, i would udnerstand floyd fighting him, but sht, what if canelo turns out to be sht or floyd ruins him? does nothin for his legacy, another victor ortiz

Comment

I understand he had those dates with better fighters but the fact remains that he didn't fight either so we don't know how he would've done! Then when he has the chance to fight legit opposition, he fights Joseito? Common man!
            Joseito was not his first choice. Who else was available at that time? He fought him because he beat Ortiz.

Comment

Originally posted by War Dinamita View Post
              Joseito was not his first choice. Who else was available at that time? He fought him because he beat Ortiz.
              not a single 154 lb'er was available?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Napier View Post
                he's not overrated now, he's just unproven
                he'll end up fighting Floyd, surprised if that doesn't happen
                but he gets legitimacy beating Trout or Martinez
                he'd lose to Martinez anyway, but he can take Trout
                Trout's win over Cotto wasn't all that impressive
                This sums it up.

Comment

You are comparing fighters from different eras and the sport has evolved so much since then.

Benitez probably would've not won a world championship at the age of 17 in this era. Look at the guys right now who are 17-18 years old and there is no way they can compete with a real world championship.

Look at Morales who won his belt at age 21.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHolyCross View Post
                    Tell me who were the top 154 lbs fighters available at time?

Comment

Originally posted by TheHolyCross View Post

Hell, not even a legit 147lb'er was available at the time! I smell

Comment

Working...
                      X