No announcement yet.

Carl Froch: I'll give Groves a rematch - After Julio Cesar Chavez jr

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carl Froch: I'll give Groves a rematch - After Julio Cesar Chavez jr

Carl Froch has said on Skysports today that he's happy to give George Groves a rematch, but says Chavez jr is on his radar first.

Kind of strange, as it is an option nobody in the UK really wants to see. I think fights with Golovkin, Ward, Groves and even Kessler III would do a lot better than Chaves jr.

It would, however, give him the chance to fight in Vegas, a dream of his - and that is understandable.

Is it a duck by Froch? A smokescreen? Or is it fair enough?

What do you think?

Later, on ringside - he did say he would fight Groves again:

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/vide...t-george-again
    Last edited by LacedUp; 01-24-2014, 08:54 AM.

There has been plenty of speculation over the last few weeks regarding my future. As it stands we are looking closely at two options, George Groves and Julio Cesar Chavez Jnr. Yesterday, we made a seven figure offer to George Groves for a second fight that would have seen him earn around double that of the first. Disappointingly, George rejected this offer so we are continuing our talks with Top Rank and HBO regarding Chavez Jnr. I understand the demand for the Groves fight in the UK, but also the demand in the US for the Chavez fight. Talks are ongoing and no doubt some further news will break soon. I’m happy to fight anyone, as I have done throughout my entire career
    http://thaboxingvoice.com/froch-grov...jr-fight/21806

Comment

Hadn't seen this before.

Disappointing if true - as it would clearly have been Groves' biggest payday.

Comment

If Groves really turned down a big payday, then I'm LMAO at all the Froch ducking talk.

We'd need to hear Groves's side first.

Comment

If this was any other fighter, I would label him a duck but this guy has had a pretty tough schedule of fights and honestly fighting Groves was a service to Groves. Froch had nothing to win from that fight and everything to lose. With that being said, I have no issue with Froch taking a big money fight again Chavez and then a rematch against groves.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
            If Groves really turned down a big payday, then I'm LMAO at all the Froch ducking talk.

We'd need to hear Groves's side first.
            Eddie Hearn has said a few times that Groves' monetary demands have been an issue.

You won't hear anything from Groves about it though. He'll be too busy writing #RematchOrRetire on his Twatter. He is from the Hayemaker school of false publicity.

Comment

Groves is an idiot if he turn the fight down! War Froch I guess!!!

Comment

... "Chavez jr is on his radar first"...

Froch is a smart guy (outside the ring)... That's why I like him most...

... But he's going to fight Groves -- Jr. doesn't take this fight...

Comment

I really have a hard time believing that Groves has turned down a 7 figure payday.

If that is true, then he's a twat and can piss off with all his talk.

Need evidence though.

Comment

i'm not going to jump on carl froch for trying to make a ton of money with an easy fight. froch is at the end of his career. the groves fight was very hard on froch, and included him being all but out in the very first round. chavez jr does sell well.

the groves rematch can wait.

that said, i've heard plenty of criticism from the UK crowd over ward wanting to fight chavez jr. I will get a good laugh if froch somehow fights him first.

then, when prince dre fights chavez jr, he'll be "froch's leftovers."

cobra UD if it does happen. i don't think it will. he's slow, but so is JR. cobra will find ways to make jr miss, and give it the old nottingham shoulder roll to win the rounds. the one-two, innit?
                    Last edited by New England; 01-24-2014, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X