Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if Cotto would've retired after the Martinez win?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by North Star View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. You can never underestimate the lengths critics go to, to discredit someone they don't like. Hell, they probably would have dreamed up some belief that he retired to avoid Mayweather or Canelo taking the MW title. You never know with these "fans".

that's the fanboys...

im talkin about fans of the sport...i have no bias either way for Cotto and there is a huge difference between retiring and holding a belt that he wont defend properly...THAT is my point

Comment

Originally posted by crowntowntaps View Post
      I like Cotto, I actually posted this thread because I like to bait the GGGtards.
      Why'd you log out of your nay sayer account?

Comment

What if Pavlik retired after Gary Lockett?
        Last edited by ИATAS; 02-27-2015, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
          that's the fanboys...

im talkin about fans of the sport...i have no bias either way for Cotto and there is a huge difference between retiring and holding a belt that he wont defend properly...THAT is my point
          I agree with that, in most normal circumstances. But looking at this being the tail end of Cotto's career, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that he wants the Mayweather rematch and a Canelo fight to end his career. Both pay handsomely and both are winnable.

Against GGG, it's almost a sure loss with a lot smaller pay. And a possibly very damaging loss at that, taking Cotto completely out of the picture for any more big fights. He'd be completely done after that, no question.

Comment

Originally posted by North Star View Post
            I agree with that, in most normal circumstances. But looking at this being the tail end of Cotto's career, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that he wants the Mayweather rematch and a Canelo fight to end his career. Both pay handsomely and both are winnable.

Against GGG, it's almost a sure loss with a lot smaller pay. And a possibly very damaging loss at that, taking Cotto completely out of the picture for any more big fights. He'd be completely done after that, no question.

then he should vacate and let the division run its natural course...he doesn't need to hold the division hostage while trying to lure non MWs for money fights

Comment

then he should vacate and let the division run its natural course...he doesn't need to hold the division hostage while trying to lure non MWs for money fights
              There are no two ways about that.

Comment

Originally posted by crowntowntaps View Post
                ^^^This is exactly what I thought^^^ The GGGtards would've claimed victory as they do over 154lb fighter that doesnt want to fight him for what ever reason.
                That what ever reason you talk about is called FEAR

Comment

^^^^^^This and there is no other way to re-hash this.

Once you have to bait those below your weight class for an elite fight when there's an elite opponent within your division already than it's time to cash in your chips and walk away with your health and wealth in tact. No need in embarrassing yourself for the sake of $$$ in which you already have.

Comment

Yes, it would have been the perfect time to retire. He fought a great fight and crushed Martinez. Instead of retiring he is taking a full year off before defending his middleweight title apparently against either Bundrage, Bradley or Rios. The middleweights would have better off if Cotto had retired after his Martinez victory. I don't think Cotto's heart is in boxing anymore and I doubt he will ever fight as well as he did in his Martinez win.

Comment

Originally posted by ***1048;ATAS View Post
                      What if Pavlik retired after Gary Lockett?
                      I fail to see how that is a good comparison are you comparing cottos career to that of pavliks?

Comment

Working...
                      X