Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayweather Jr was right 'all belts do is collect dust'.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayweather Jr was right 'all belts do is collect dust'.

Mayweather Jr was right 'all belts do is collect dust'. WBO disgraces Boxing by stripping Martinez

June 2, 8:31 PMFight Sports ExaminerRick Rockwell

Let me just get it out right off the bat. The WBO's decision to strip Sergio Martinez is an absolute disgrace to boxing. Here's a fighter that's proud to be a champion and wears the belts with honor. A fighter who gives it his all inside the ring and doesn't cause trouble outside of the ring. And the WBO decides to strip him for absolute nonsense.
    "A WBO champion who wins a non-WBO championship in a weight class that is different than the weight class in which he holds his WBO championship must decide within 10 days of the non-WBO championship which title in which weight class he will retain. No WBO champion may hold a non-WBO championship in a weight class that is different from the weight class of his WBO championship." Source: Dan Rafael ESPN
    Martinez's first option was Kelly Pavlik who was the previous title holder. Pavlik had an automatic rematch clause but chose to move to a higher weight class. So, Martinez calls out Floyd Mayweather Jr and the rumors were that Martinez was in line if Mayweather and Pacquiao fell through. In addition to these fights, Martinez was also waiting to see who HBO wanted to pit him against since Martinez has been fighting on their PPVs.
    According to Sergio's promoter Lou DiBella, through ESPN, the WBO could have made an exception:
    "What's troubling is that they have a rule that gives them the right to make an exception, but here, for whatever reason, they elected to strip Sergio even though there is no contender who has been sitting there waiting and waiting for his chance."
    So, let me get this straight:
    • There's no mandatory challenge
    • Sergio just won the title on April 17th which was about 6-7 weeks ago
    • WBO could have made an exception
    Basically, the WBO is punishing Sergio for being a great fighter in 2 divisions. Like I said before, this is a disgrace to Boxing. The 10 day rule was up by the end of April. Pavlik made his decision about 3 weeks ago. Why did the WBO make their decision now? And why didn't they make an exception for a great fighter?
    I think we all can take back some of the criticism that was heaped onto Floyd Mayweather Jr for not wanting to fight for Shane Mosley's title. Mayweather Jr was right when he basically said the titles meant nothing. If an organization can just take a title back whenever it wants, then what's the point of even having belts.

http://www.examiner.com/x-21442-Figh...pping-Martinez

yeah they are becoming irrelavent

Comment

The sanctioning bodies are losing more and more credibility...

Belts used to be a big deal in boxing, Not any more

Comment

Originally posted by Versatility View Post
        Mayweather Jr was right 'all belts do is collect dust'. WBO disgraces Boxing by stripping Martinez

June 2, 8:31 PMFight Sports ExaminerRick Rockwell

Let me just get it out right off the bat. The WBO's decision to strip Sergio Martinez is an absolute disgrace to boxing. Here's a fighter that's proud to be a champion and wears the belts with honor. A fighter who gives it his all inside the ring and doesn't cause trouble outside of the ring. And the WBO decides to strip him for absolute nonsense.
        "A WBO champion who wins a non-WBO championship in a weight class that is different than the weight class in which he holds his WBO championship must decide within 10 days of the non-WBO championship which title in which weight class he will retain. No WBO champion may hold a non-WBO championship in a weight class that is different from the weight class of his WBO championship." Source: Dan Rafael ESPN
        Martinez's first option was Kelly Pavlik who was the previous title holder. Pavlik had an automatic rematch clause but chose to move to a higher weight class. So, Martinez calls out Floyd Mayweather Jr and the rumors were that Martinez was in line if Mayweather and Pacquiao fell through. In addition to these fights, Martinez was also waiting to see who HBO wanted to pit him against since Martinez has been fighting on their PPVs.
        According to Sergio's promoter Lou DiBella, through ESPN, the WBO could have made an exception:
        "What's troubling is that they have a rule that gives them the right to make an exception, but here, for whatever reason, they elected to strip Sergio even though there is no contender who has been sitting there waiting and waiting for his chance."
        So, let me get this straight:
        • There's no mandatory challenge
        • Sergio just won the title on April 17th which was about 6-7 weeks ago
        • WBO could have made an exception
        Basically, the WBO is punishing Sergio for being a great fighter in 2 divisions. Like I said before, this is a disgrace to Boxing. The 10 day rule was up by the end of April. Pavlik made his decision about 3 weeks ago. Why did the WBO make their decision now? And why didn't they make an exception for a great fighter?
        I think we all can take back some of the criticism that was heaped onto Floyd Mayweather Jr for not wanting to fight for Shane Mosley's title. Mayweather Jr was right when he basically said the titles meant nothing. If an organization can just take a title back whenever it wants, then what's the point of even having belts.

http://www.examiner.com/x-21442-Figh...pping-Martinez
        I agree with u, the WBO is repugnant as the other sanctioning bodies. They just punished a great fighter who's willing to fight anyone.

Comment

I feel bad for Sergio. Now, IMO most of the top Boxers will avoid these bull**** belts..All road leads to Floyd Mayweather..lol

Comment

Comment

once your a ppv draw there is no need for belts, i applaud mayweather for refusing to pay for those meaningless titles at this point of his career.

Comment

Bring back one belt per weight class and they might start meaning something again.

Comment

you do realized Flyod is most pathetic boxer in history of the sport?

Comment

do u realize theres no boxer who can beat him

Comment

Working...
                    X