Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tony Weeks was dead wrong...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, Weeks was wrong. I never thought he was a good referee. Unless I have it wrong I think he was the referee in the Castillo vs.Corrales fight and did a terrible job and cost Castillo a KO win that should have been his.

Comment

weeks did a good job last weekend imo..but in the garcia vs mathysse he sucked ...shows he has his bias also ..

dont ever wanna see him unless it's a tactical fight...same with bayless

Comment

Originally posted by Deeznuts View Post
        Alvarado was taking a beating and why embarrass the fighter by making him say he doesn't want to continue? I like Tony but that was wrong
        so he didnt have any excuses about a premature stoppage like he did in the first rios fight. Tony did an amazing job of putting closure on the fight without controversy or any "what ifs". Great job tony!!

Comment

Originally posted by Deeznuts View Post
          Alvarado was taking a beating and why embarrass the fighter by making him say he doesn't want to continue? I like Tony but that was wrong
          Yeah this is exactly how I feel. Instead of letting the corner protect their fighter's interests by stopping the fight for him, he forced Alvarado to make the decision himself. I get that Weeks was worried about a repeat of Rios-Alarado I where Mike thought he was stopped too soon, but this was in between rounds and the corner's word + body language should have been enough.

Comment

Tony Weeks is one of the best refs in the world. He let Danny AND Matthysse fight dirty, lmao.

Cortez too. He didn't stop Marquez Pac 1.

Comment

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, Alvarado's corner clearly said they were going to stop it and if a corner wants to stop the fight, and the fighter doesn't object, it should be over period. On top of that, this is just me, but IMO, I think the fight could of even been stopped after the second KD, and I would of been OK with it, Alvarado looked done to me, but in the 10th round he was clearly out on his feet and had nothing left.

On the other hand, in a fight where a guy is in his hometown and has his family/fans roaring for him and the fight is a great one, and his corner wants to stop it but is kind of unsure, I have no problem for a referee to simply ask the fighter himself, he is the man fighting and if he wants to go out on his shield and ISN'T delusional/really hurt and it's obvious, why not ask the fighter.

But with that said, at a time where the referee bypasses the corner and ask the fighter himself, the fighter COULD be really hurt and completely out of it without knowing/concussed, etc... and being the warrior that said fighter might be, could tell the referee "yeah im good" to keep on fighting and go out on his shield and to also prove that he's a warrior/not a quitter, etc... but if said fighter has a concussion,etc, he obviously is NOT in the right state to make a correct judgement call on something like that because it could cause severe health problems/trauma. Like in this particular example, if Mike would of said yes and went out there, he could of potentially died, I mean the man looked half unconscious on his stool. But in another situation where a guy might not be that hurt but his corner just feels there's no way he can win/is overmatched, I have no problem with the referee asking.

I really don't know how I feel about it. I guess for me it depends on the situation. In this situation, I thought Mike was CLEARLY done and simply had nothing left- going back out there would of had potentially severe health consequences......... but in another situation where a guy maybe had more fight left in him but was just overmatched, etc.... I guess it's not a bad thing for the ref to ask the fighter himself.

a judgement call just has to be made. If the body language among other things looks okay, that's one thing..... but when a guy is halfway conscious on his stool, you should be able to tell and then make the call to stop it.

I dunno, tricky situation. Lol

Comment

Tony Weeks did his job. The corner CAN stop the fight, but refs want to hear it from the fighter. The only ones bashing Weeks are Matthysse's fans, lmao.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Ducketts View Post
                  Tony Weeks is one of the best refs in the world. He let Danny AND Matthysse fight dirty, lmao.

Cortez too. He didn't stop Marquez Pac 1.
                  Yeah, that first PAC/Marquez fight was before Cortez started to take side money. His work in the Mayweather/Hatton fight was one of, if not the worst refereeing jobs I've ever saw. It's falls perfectly in line with Klitschko/Povetkin but on a higher level.

Comment

I highly doubt tony weeks asked him directly to embarrass or belittle mike, he was just giving mike the benefit of the doubt being champ and in his hometown and making sure that is what he wanted to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Ducketts View Post
                      Tony Weeks did his job. The corner CAN stop the fight, but refs want to hear it from the fighter. The only ones bashing Weeks are Matthysse's fans, lmao.
                      Wasn't saying **** when matthysse was rabbit punching dudes.

Comment

Working...
                      X