Watching Expendables 3 right now.... Victor Ortiz very meh

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
    That's actually a pretty cool idea.
    but in the movie stallone replaced the old guys with young guys.. so pacquaio wouldn't make sense.. unless he undegoes botox like stallone, schwarzeneger..

those botox guys are shameless..specially stallone.. their face look like wax mannequin.. whatever happened to aging gracefully..

Comment

Just put this on, but need a break.

As the first two Expendables movies were on a par with Carl Th. Dreyer's Ordet, then this may be something of a comedown in narrative.

There's a harsh diss for Bruce Willis, who Stallone famously slated on Twatter - "he's out of the picture" - but, as yet, no in-joke for Demolition Man, which has disappointed me.

Wesley Snipes - a man who has never been in a movie without referencing the fact that he's black - gets to double-take at the word "spook" within his first scene with Stallone.

But your boy Ortiz? Do you reckon every time the director shouted "action" he just looked to the ground to see where he wanted to quit?

"I'm a young man, I'm gonna be a great movie star, but I shouldn't have to act in front of a camera."

Comment

"Grandpa's about to crush your windpipe!"

I bet when they recorded that scene he was looking around for the Golden Boy-paid ref to help him out.

Comment

Okay, finished this. I can't slate Ortiz too much as he's not really in it, save for a few lines. Though did you notice that the first thing that happens during the final battle is that he - no joke - looks for a space to dive down? It's as if Mel Gibson was Luis Collazo.

Really though what gets me is the lack of respect for the audience's intelligence. I appreciate I'm not watching Citizen Kane here, but when Stallone fires his old crew and gets a new band - conveniently not asking any of them if they ever quit - is there a SINGLE **** watching who didn't immediately think "I bet all of the new ones **** up and the old ones have to launch a 'surprise' rescue mission?"

I did actually enjoy the film, I preferred it to the second which got far too indulgent, but really it's just lowest common denominator stuff. How many times have we seen an innocent-looking girl suddenly kick ass like that mole girl did? Hell, it happened all the time in Gibsons' Lethal Weapon III, and that was 22 years ago.

Maybe the real problem is that we don't really get to know any of the new Expendables, so we can't really share in the drama of them being captured, etc. You know, what with the older Expendables being such richly drawn, three-dimensional characters and all?

I think Stallone can be an underrated actor... I usually say that he acted alongside DeNiro without disgracing himself (Copland), but that's a meaningless observation now Bobby is prepared to do anything for a pay cheque (Grudge Match). The problem is, Stallone spends 90% of his career doing "action movie acting", which is a different thing altogether. Let's face it, when you're being acted off the screen by Jason Statham, you have to realise that something's wrong.

Stuff I wanted to see in this movie:

* Snipes doing a Demolition Man reference. Would it have killed him, when Stallone fired him, to issue a *****y "it's time for something new and improved, huh?" He could have done that queeny stuff well, because he looks like Laverne Cox from Orange is the New Black these days.

* Gibson (and how amazing that he was thrown a lifeline) having the humility to parody one of his phone call quotes. How fantastic would it have been if he'd said to Stallone "you're going to blow me - because I DESERRRRRRRRRRRRVEEEEEEEEEEEE IT!"

Overall, this was okay for what it was IMO.

Comment

i cant believe people got suckered into watching this. i mean i tried to like the first two because of all the names in it but it just fcking sucks man.

all these movies are just absolutely fcking awful.

Comment

saw the first haven't seen the second, but I may watch the third just to see how ortiz does in it ha

Comment

Ortiz is a douchebag, he sounds like a total douchebag in the movies.

Comment

Funny but if I see that movie it would to see all the old movie stars not some failed boxer with a perfume line.

Comment

Originally posted by EdWins View Post
                    saw the first haven't seen the second, but I may watch the third just to see how ortiz does in it ha
                    Save your money man....or DL it.

Comment

did ortiz quit in this movie?

Comment

Working...
                      X