No announcement yet.

Golden Boy is taking over as the top boxing promoter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Afactor4 View Post
    To be honest, it looks more like Al Haymon is "taking over" boxing more than anything/anyone else.
    The absolute worst thing that could ever happen to boxing.

Talk about **** fight after **** fight on tv.

Berto entire career. Russell Jr fighting ****ty fights. Forcing Seth mitchell down peoples throat. Hyping up the buffet king chris arreola and basically numerous fights that shouldn't even be on ESPN FNF's some how being HBO head liners.

Haymon is a cancer to the sport, but I guess it's good for his fighters as the get million dollar paydays while fighting bum/****ty fighters.

Comment

I agree, GBP are taking over and sticking it to Top Rank on the regular. However, since when was Khan a cash cow?! Haha, they gave away more tickets to his last fight than they sold, and that was against an unbeaten world champ who, I suspect, sold the most tickets. Fck Khan, he's a nobody. Overhyped.

Comment

Golden Boy has been on top for the past 8 years

Comment

Originally posted by I'm so sorry View Post
          Golden Boy has the big names indeed. I like how they operate for the most part, they aren't as bad as other companies. I mean look at how fast they are bringing Angulo back into the mix. That's really good stuff.

My only issue is with their corruption surrounding drug tests right now. I don't like that one bit.
          Yea it's BS only Mayweather is allowed to test Postive

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post

All in all, I think it's the beginning of the end for TR. Not sure what it means for the sport of boxing as a whole.

Your thoughts?
            Meh... who cares as long as good fights happen

Comment

Originally posted by I'm so sorry View Post
              The only ones they are truly careful with right now is Canelo, and that's knowing that he was about to fight Kirkland and Paul Williams until things happened.

To an extent Danny Garcia with him fighting Morales twice and now Judah. But Khan was a pretty stiff challenge and I hear he might get Mattysse next.
              IF they put Garcia in with Lucas i'll be shocked. Unless they realsie Garcia will get beaten pretty soon and hope try and build a killer like Lucas. I think if Lucas gets the right break he could become a mega star with his style and power.

Comment

Originally posted by Check_hooks View Post
                Top Rank has built fighters from the beginning to major PPV stars

GBP doesn't even have 1

Top Rank and GBP are about even right now in terms of ppv numbers (Pac-Bradley + Martinez-JCC Jr vs Floyd-Cotto) with Pac - Marquez 4 on the way. That fight will do at least 1 mill and when was the last time GBP sold more PPV's in a year than Top Rank?

I don't see GBP selling more than Top Rank any time soon

In terms of future stars its whoever can promote who better

And belts don't mean much when all the fights are in house

Insert zombie voice here:

*i must defend uncle bob with my life*

Comment

Originally posted by Check_hooks View Post
                  Top Rank has built fighters from the beginning to major PPV stars

GBP doesn't even have 1
                  theyve built mares into a major star, though due to him fighting in the lower, less lucrative weight classes it would be a bold move to put him on ppv

people fail to recognize two things:

1. gbp takes risks with their fighters and is willing to match them against any fighter signed with any promotional company. this may be a bad thing if the fighter isnt as talented as he's looked (mitchell, katsidis, linares, juan diaz) but it does allow us to measure the true quality fo these fighters. they did a great job with jmm, mares and guerrero whom were actually talented enough to deliver. hell one wouldnt argue they threw mares to the lions and many people are looking at him as the real deal because of it

2. al haymon prefers to work with gbp over other companies and many of these match ups are actually instigated by him. bob arum hates haymon's guts, maybe more so than he does odlh so the two will likely never work together in any way. this adds more fuel to the fire in regards to the feud

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
                    JMM is listed in the Top Rank page. Even his last non-Pacquiao fight was a Top Rank PPV. Chavez is also with Zanfer, but is still with Top Rank.

As far as title holders, TR has Donaire, Rigo, Bradley, JMM, Roman Martinez, and Salido. And pacquiao might as well be a champion without a belt.

Guerrero was also in negotiations with a Floyd fight! He's hardly a cash cow. Doubt UK money is THAT significant. Khan isn't fighting on PPV in the UK. Obviously if he fought Floyd, there would be lots money, but he's not. Plus he's coming off a couple loses, including a KO. He has no belt. His stock is way down. If Khan was a cashcow, Garcia would be begging to fight him again like Martinez and Froch are salivating over those Chavez and Bute rematches.
                    They're all with Zanfer but I think JMM's and Salido's relationship with TR is different than Chavez's. I think they deal with TR on a fight by fight basis whereas Chavez is under some sort of contract.

Forgot about Martinez. Ok I'll grant you these 3 but then we have to count Chris John for GB, so that's 12 title holders against 6 for TR.

Guerrero was negotiating with Floyd? When? Floyd dismissed him as an opponent several times.

Khan is still a big star in the UK. I don't know if his fights are still on ppv over there but I guarantee you his next fight will still do big numbers. He's still one of the most lucrative opponents in boxing. Garcia will fight Khan again if Khan keeps winning, GB probably wants to rebuild Khan a little bit before cashing him out in a rematch.

Originally posted by Afactor4 View Post
                    To be honest, it looks more like Al Haymon is "taking over" boxing more than anything/anyone else.
                    That's very true and it's concerning.

Originally posted by Rasheed Mexico View Post
                    Gamboa vs Lopez isn't Top Rank fault at all. That lies 100% on Lopez.
                    Quote from Arum :

“If I have to wait until 2011, that’s what I’ll do,” Arum said. “I don’t want to make this fight too early because then that’s taking money out of these kids’ pockets.”

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/130320...mboa-bout.html

Bob the chef let it marinate too long and it turned into Hell's kitchen.

Originally posted by Rasheed Mexico View Post
                    As long as DeBouf and Bruce Trampler are around they will always be a Top player. Trampler hands down the best match maker in boxing and one of, if not the greatest of all time. Also DeBouf has a tremedous eye for talent as he was the guy who got Cotto and various other fighters to sign as soon as they turned pro.

I also like DeBouf anyways as he will work with anyone and is very well respected amongst boxers, other promoters and managers.
                    They do have a great eye for talent but right now, GB has the most talent. I think tide has turned...

Comment

Light Speed forgot to add one thing GBP has over TR

their **** in his mouth....who f'kin cares. The fact is that TR is a good promotional compnay like gb. but now with Hausers articles coming out about the whole usada, mayweather, morales, quillin etc, if its true, you will see fighters leaving that company imo

Comment

Working...
                      X