Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Top Ten Greatest Heavyweight Champs Of All Time!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnny swift
    Everyone has their list of top ten heavyweights of all time here is mine. feel free to share yours also.

1)Muhammad Ali- It was amazing that a man of his physical size can move with such swiftness and agility. Was undefeated (30-0)when the title was wrongfully stripped from him in '67. Forced to stay out of boxing for three years, he went through ups and downs and 2 defeats to finally get another title shot at the age of 32 in 1974 and shocked the whole world by defeating the invincinble Big George Foreman. Two amazing title reigns and Ali was also the first man to win the Championship 3 times.

2)Joe Louis- The Brown Bomber was a deadly technician in the ring. During his title reign he faced anyone and anything that was put in front of him. Amazing number of title defenses(25!) and length of title reign.

3)George Foreman- In his early career Big George Foreman was a fighter that had the heavyweight division in fear, with an aura of invinciblity comparable to Tysons and Listons big George would have adversaries shaking in thier boots at the mention of his name. That is until he met Ali in '74. Big George was 42-0 when he lost to Ali. After the loss he went into a downward spiral that caused him to retire from boxing and becoming a preacher, didnt box for ten years. In 1988 Foreman came back with a drive to regain the heavyweight title again. And going through ups and downs he finally won back the title at the age of 45 in 1994 by KO against Michael Moorer. Amazingly regaining the title 20 years after losing it to Ali. Foreman is in the record books for the oldest man ever to win the championship at 45 years old, and also for having the 2nd highest knockout percentage in heavyweight history.

4. Rocky Marciano - The Rock was known for his amazing stamina in the ring like the energizer bunny you can keep beating him down but he just kept on coming. Incredible stamina, iron chin, unbeatable will to win, ability to knock you out with both hands, deadly body shots. What more can you ask for in a fighter. His 49-0 record still stands to this day.

5. Larry Holmes- The Easton Assassin was known for his lightning jab that was strong enough to knock you down. Holmes never got respect because unlike Ali he lacked an arch nemesis liek Ali had with Frazier, and he also ruled during a bleak period in heavyweight history. Spent 8 years as heavywieght Champ and went 48-0 before losing to Spinks almost tying Marciano's 49-0 record.

6. Joe Frazier- one word to describe him- relentless . Like Marciano you can throw everything at this guy and he'd still keep on coming. Owner of one of the deadliest left hooks in heavyweight history. The first man to beat Ali. His 3 dramatic fights with Ali made Smokin Joe Frazier a legend.

7. Lennox Lewis- During his title reign the British lion fought and defeated all the top heavyweights of his day including Holyfield and Tyson. Look at the list of all the fighters The British Lion has defeated and you'll see his place in history cannot be denied. Possessed one of the deadliest right hands in heavyweight history.

8.Evander Holyfield - Evander The Real Deal Holyfield is a man with incredible heart. Possesses one of the greatest chins of all time , this man didnt know the meaning of the word -quit. Proved the critics wrong time after time. Saying he wasnt big enough to be a Heavyweight he went on to win the title a record 4 times. His most dramtic win was when he defeated Iron Mike Tyson for the Title in 1996 when everyone wrote Holyfield off as a hasbeen.

9. Mike Tyson- Iron Mike Tyson's place in history is bittersweet to me because I feel had he stayed with trainer Kevin Rooney, Mike Tyson had the POTENTIAL to become the greatest Heavyweight Champ of all time. Everyone knows Tysons story. Tyson had incredible speed, incredible KO power, great finisher, a violent blood lust to destroy his opponent. Many of Tysons fight would not go past the 2nd round. During Tyson's 3 year reign of terror opponents feared Tyson so much that they would forget to fight back. With his black shoes no socks, black trunks, fade haircut and gym towel draped on his shoulders he had an aura of invincibility that the ring had never seen before or since. In 1988 this man was frightening, his 90 second annihilation of Michael Spinks and 4 round destruction of Larry Holmes truly made him the "Baddest man on the planet".

10. Jack Dempsey- the Monnassa Mauler- was a devestating force to be reckoned with back in his day. Knocked out Jess willard in violent fashion knocking Willards teeth out literally to win the Heavyweight Title,,,,and Dempsey was outweighed by Willard by more than 50 lbs!!!. Dempsey style was the prototype to Tyson, Tyson even borrowed Dempseys style of wearing black shoes, black shorts, fade haircut from Dempsey. Going for the knock out Dempsey could knock you out with either hand. Pure assassin.

***special note - Jack Johnson is my #11. The reason I dont have him ranked higher is because he ruled in an old time era when heavyweights would fight middleweights and even welterweights. In fact Johnson himself fought many fights with many weight mismatches. Had Johnson ruled in a "Modernised Era" he would have placed higher on my list. With that being said I believe Johnson was extremely talented and can even defeat some of the men that rank higher in my list.***
    Good list but id but louis number one, and where is liston?

Comment

First of, my list is not a "who beats who" list. For instance, Foreman would probably demolish both Marciano and Dempsey, but I still rank him below those guys. It is a matter of who was greatest over all. Marciano never lost a fight and had more heart than most all-time fighters. He also had power and a impressive chin. Foreman had a shorter reign and retired at age 27. Making him the third greatest heavyweight of all time is not fair to guys like Marciano and Dempsey. Had Ali never made his comeback in the 70s, Foreman would probably reign for a looong time and thus becoming a greater all-time heavyweight.

1. Joe Louis
      Joe Louis had the longest reign, the most title defences, met decent opponents and was without a doubt the most complete heavyweight of all time. Further, he might very well have beaten every other fighter on this list.

2. Muhammad Ali (a close second, and far ahead of number 3)
      3. Rocky Marciano (undefeated against mediocre opponents - alot of heart!)
      4. Jack Dempsey (everything Tyson ever WANTED to be...)
      5. Gene Tunney (underrated - best BOXER of all time in my book)
      6. Larry Holmes (had great overall tools, combined with heart and a great chin)
      7. George Foreman (could beat almost everyone on this list - awesome in his prime, boggled my mind as a fat old guy!)
      8. Joe Frazier (superb left hook, a lions heart, great stamina)
      9. Sonny Liston (alot like Tyson, power, a solid chin and no heart, but a better boxer though)
      10. Evander Holyfield (the best of the 1990s)

(11. Mike Tyson).

I do not know where to rank Jack Johnson and Jeffries. I have heard good things about both of them, but I have never seen any fights. The vote is not in yet when it comes to Lennox Lewis. He handled an aging Tyson very well and also defeated Holyfield. Still, I just cannot bring my self to consider him truly great. If I were forced to place him, it would be at number 12..

Comment

Originally posted by johnny swift
        ***special note - Jack Johnson is my #11. The reason I dont have him ranked higher is because he ruled in an old time era when heavyweights would fight middleweights and even welterweights. In fact Johnson himself fought many fights with many weight mismatches. Had Johnson ruled in a "Modernised Era" he would have placed higher on my list. With that being said I believe Johnson was extremely talented and can even defeat some of the men that rank higher in my list.***
        Good man, Johnson is way overrated.

Comment

Rocky Marciano
          Mike Tyson
          Larry Holmes
          Joe Frasier
          Muhammad Ali
          Sonny Liston
          Floyd Patterson
          Joe Louis
          Jack Dempsey
          Evander Holyfield

Comment

1. Ali
            2. Joe Louis
            3. Larry Holmes
            4. Geo. Foreman
            5. Joe Frazier
            6. Jack Johnson
            7. Rocky Marciano
            8. Ezzard Charles
            9. Gene Tunney
            10. Lennox Lewis (just becasue he changed the size of the common heavyweight forever)

Comment

Originally posted by M26
              First of, my list is not a "who beats who" list. For instance, Foreman would probably demolish both Marciano and Dempsey, but I still rank him below those guys. It is a matter of who was greatest over all. Marciano never lost a fight and had more heart than most all-time fighters. He also had power and a impressive chin. Foreman had a shorter reign and retired at age 27. Making him the third greatest heavyweight of all time is not fair to guys like Marciano and Dempsey. Had Ali never made his comeback in the 70s, Foreman would probably reign for a looong time and thus becoming a greater all-time heavyweight.

1. Joe Louis
              Joe Louis had the longest reign, the most title defences, met decent opponents and was without a doubt the most complete heavyweight of all time. Further, he might very well have beaten every other fighter on this list.

2. Muhammad Ali (a close second, and far ahead of number 3)
              3. Rocky Marciano (undefeated against mediocre opponents - alot of heart!)
              4. Jack Dempsey (everything Tyson ever WANTED to be...)
              5. Gene Tunney (underrated - best BOXER of all time in my book)
              6. Larry Holmes (had great overall tools, combined with heart and a great chin)
              7. George Foreman (could beat almost everyone on this list - awesome in his prime, boggled my mind as a fat old guy!)
              8. Joe Frazier (superb left hook, a lions heart, great stamina)
              9. Sonny Liston (alot like Tyson, power, a solid chin and no heart, but a better boxer though)
              10. Evander Holyfield (the best of the 1990s)

(11. Mike Tyson).

I do not know where to rank Jack Johnson and Jeffries. I have heard good things about both of them, but I have never seen any fights. The vote is not in yet when it comes to Lennox Lewis. He handled an aging Tyson very well and also defeated Holyfield. Still, I just cannot bring my self to consider him truly great. If I were forced to place him, it would be at number 12..

Ali should be #1 and Holmes did more at heavy than Tunney.He should be ranked higher.

Comment

Originally posted by QueenCity
                1. Ali
                2. Joe Louis
                3. Larry Holmes
                4. Geo. Foreman
                5. Joe Frazier
                6. Jack Johnson
                7. Rocky Marciano
                8. Ezzard Charles
                9. Gene Tunney
                10. Lennox Lewis (just becasue he changed the size of the common heavyweight forever)
                Looks like my list, except Larry Holmes is replaced by Sonny Liston and Lennox Lewis is replaced by Jersey Joe Walcott.

Comment

1. Ali
                  2. Louis
                  3. Holmes
                  4. Lewis
                  5. Holyfield
                  6. Foreman
                  7. Frazier
                  8. Tyson
                  9. Charles
                  10. Marciano

Comment

Originally posted by TysonForeman
                    I think it's cool that some of you guys have Jeffries on there, I'm glad he isn't completely forgotten. I still need to find video of him.

If Rocky Marciano could beat George Foreman, then he is the greatest heavyweight of all time, because that would mean his chin is unbreakable, and he could never be stopped. But unfortunately, I think he would get destroyed.

I also see that Jack Johnson is ranked in the Top 3 sometimes, I'd love to see some good quality video of him so I could see his technique.
                    If Ken Jennings had a top 10 heavyweight list I wouldn't question it.

Comment

I want to change my list to:

1. Ali
                      2. Louis
                      3. Holmes
                      4. Lewis
                      5. Holyfield
                      6. Foreman
                      7. Frazier
                      8. Tyson
                      9. Charles
                      10. Patterson