Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hall of Famer Riddick Bowe Joins Team Fight to Walk!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hall of Famer Riddick Bowe Joins Team Fight to Walk!

New York, NY (December 30, 2014) – 2015 International Boxing Hall of Fame inductee and former heavyweight champion Riddick “Big Daddy” Bowe has joined Team Fight to Walk.

An elite heavyweight in his heyday, Bowe captured the undisputed world championship in 1992 after besting then-unbeaten Evander Holyfield. Bowe and Holyfield fought twice more, with Holyfield winning the rematch and Bowe dramatically stopping the future hall of famer in the rubber match. The Bowe-Holyfield trilogy is considered one of the greatest in boxing history. In addition to twice besting Holyfield, Bowe defeated former or future champions Pinklon Thomas, Tony Tubbs, Bruce Seldon, Michael Dokes and Herbie Hide.

Recently, Bowe met Team Fight to Walk co-founder Boyd Melson at the WBC Convention in Las Vegas where Melson received the Ambassador of Peace Award. The two started talking and Bowe immediately took an interest in the cause Melson fights for. Shortly after the convention, he agreed to join Team Fight to Walk and the fight against paralysis.

“When Boyd told me what he was doing, I was amazed,” Bowe said. “I was familiar with spinal cord injuries after hearing about the accident Paul Williams was in a few years back and I know he’s fighting to walk again. But to hear that somebody donates all of their earnings in the ring when everybody else is concerned with keeping every penny possible is really something else. My goal is to help raise awareness and show people that even though things may be dim that there is a bright light (with the pending trials).”

“Spending time with Riddick at the WBC Convention was incredible on multiple levels,” said Melson. “When I told him about Team Fight to Walk’s mission, he immediately wanted to join. He told me that meeting my father and me was one of the best things to happen to him in a long time. I was incredibly honored to hear him say that because I grew up watching Riddick. He was a great fighter and his willingness to join Team Fight to Walk as he’s on his way into the Hall of Fame means the world to us.”

For more information on Team Fight to Walk or to donate, go to Teamfighttowalk.com. All questions about Team Fight to Walk or Spinal Cord Injuries can be emailed to Boydmelson@Teamfighttowalk.com.
Working...
X