Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long Reach&Tall height = Offensive or Defensive?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Reach&Tall height = Offensive or Defensive?

Hey guys, yesterday in sparring I made a former professional fighter's nose bleed 'cause my right cross actually went in and i talked with my coach and he said that when i fully extend my arm during sparring it becomes arm punches so he suggested me to become an offensive fighter regardless that i have a pretty decent reach as well as having a height of 174.5 cm. I thought this was a pretty good idea although i don't have the stamina (will have to work on that). He told me to first use the advantage of my reach and jab,jab,jab to find the distance, and then just throw punches like fck.

Do you guys think this is a good idea? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated

Try it out! I personally am 188cm and have around 198-199 in reach and I mostly throw combos after jabs.
    I use my jab when I need to rest in between flurries or go on cruise control while my sparring partner attacks.
    I do like to lead with the double jab to neutralize my opponents straight right hand.
    One thing many beginners do is to just jab and not to follow it up and do a lazy jab at that.
    If you don't follow up your opponent will not respect your jab and start countering it and attack you.
    Follow your coach instructions and learn the basics.
    Then you can start putting things in it.

Either way I'm glad to hear that your new coach is actually teaching you something useful unlike your last one .

How is your new gym? how are the coaches? are they ignoring you like your old coach said?
    What is the difference between your old and your new gym?

Comment

gifted athletes with long arms and height can usually punch hard without putting as much effort into it as a smaller man who has to explode

if you keep your man on the end of your punches you can do whatever the hell you want in there
      offensive
      defensive
      it does not matter if he's on the end of your punches

find out whether you want to keep him away with the jab and take a half step back
      or if you are a gifted puncher and can keep him away by backing him up with the double jab and the hard right hand (think the G man, tommy hearns, etc. kelly pavlik in his prime to a lesser degree because of the relative lack of handspeed)

Comment

thanks! im currently staying at my old gym, im gonna move at the end of november so... and besides i have my sparring competition so not until this months over im gonna have to train at my current gym haha. ill get some more details once i officially join the new gym at december

and can you explain what you mean by "follow it up?" i didn't get that part sorry but i will try out this method and see if it works for me!

Comment

the picture attached looks really tuthless.

Comment

Working...
          X