Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fighter of the decade means nothing, here's why

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BTW it's called fighter of the DECADE. Pac lost twice in the late 90's therefore none of that is relevant.

Comment

• What is this piss poor statement!

I'm not a Pac or Floyd fan tbh, both men need to put their egos aside and stop being bitches but what does PPV numbers have to do with being a greater fighter? It's not even part of the equation, it's ******ed.

Floyd's resume isn't that impressive above 135 that's a fact. His body of work at 130-135 is incredible but above it, average. Baldomir, Judah, Hatton, Gatti, Oscar and Mosley (Marquez isn't a WW shouldn't count). Mosley is the only world class fighter out of those and he's getting on a bit you could count Oscar but was he really world class personally if you consider Oscar to be world class when he fought Floyd then he's world class when he fought Pacman. Mosley isn't the rapid fire lightweight he used to by but still a damn good fighter.

Pacquiao above 135 has compiled a resume that could challange Mayweathers and Mayweather has been at 140+ since when late/middle of 2004 thats 4 years (if you take out his retirement) Pacquiao has been there since Dec 08 (I think) and he's got a resume of Oscar, Hatton, Cotto and Clottey. Is it better? Maybe but it's comparable.

Pacquiaos body of work below 140 is impressive atleast as much as Mayweathers (don't nitpick Morales was old, Barrera was old whatever Morales wasn't THAT old and it was a rematch, Barrera was coming off 8 straight wins)

The facts are that Mayweather and Pacquiao are the best fighters out there today and there is no excuse they shouldn't fight. It should be 50-50, Mayweather isn't going to get as much money anywhere else and Pacquiao is the only fighter out (apart from Floyd) there that can sell 1M+ as an A side in the USA if we count worldwide popularity Manny is probably more popular but we can't measure that. Manny should accept random testing really but we'll just have to see.

Comment

• Originally posted by Williamb45 View Post
        I believe that too, and so do the members who vote for FOTD. Thats exactly what Floyd received. Fight low risk fighters and stay undefeated,
        Pardon me, but when I talk boxing, it has to be with someone whose opinion I respect lol, and what you just wrote can't be respected by anyone. This penis riding ******* of a post sound so insecure that maybe you have doubt as to Pac being fotd lol... Floyd is undefeated, and the real fotd no matter who gave Pac his phony fotd award. In the minds of real boxing fans, Floyd is the fotd.

Comment

• its funny how *****s say fotd dont mean nothing to make themselves feel better.
          Then try convincing themselves by adding the belief that PBF has a better resume. Pac is the fotd because he has a better resume. End of.

Comment

• Lets take a look at Pac and Floyd's comp against common opponents and at weights @ or above 130 lol... Quick synopsis lol...

Floyd beat Baldy who owns a win over Clottey...Pac beat Clottey. Floyd beat Hatton 147 and Dlh at 154 before PAc fought them at 140 and 147 respectively. Pac drew and close dec. JMM before Floyd, and Floyd easily beat JMM. Floyd beat Shane at 147, Cotto beat Shane in a close fight at 147...Pac beats Cotto at 145 lbs. Pac beat Diaz at 135, Floyd beat Castillo twice at 135with one fight being close.

Where are PAc's wins above 135 blowing away Floyd's comp above 135??? Oh, Pac stopped Hatton sooner and after Floyd, and he stopped a shot Dlh lol... Lets give Pac fotd lol...

PAc made his bones fighting past it guys at 126 and 130(EM and MAB) a total of 5 times ignoring Valero, Guzman at 130, and Campbell at 135.

Comment

• Originally posted by Frank Ducketts View Post
              Pardon me, but when I talk boxing, it has to be with someone whose opinion I respect lol, and what you just wrote can't be respected by anyone. This penis riding ******* of a post sound so insecure that maybe you have doubt as to Pac being fotd lol... Floyd is undefeated, and the real fotd no matter who gave Pac his phony fotd award. In the minds of real boxing fans, Floyd is the fotd.
              whoever believes this shiet is an idiot lol...

and this poster doesnt even know how many years a decade have posting vids of pac being KTFO in the 90's w/c is irrelevant to the last decade stupid ***** lol

Comment

• FOTD and FOTY are huge awards and manny earned them. That said, the award has no significance when negotiating. All of manny's accomplishments should be respected. But it doesn't mean he would be the betting favorite when they fight nor does it mean he is the bigger draw. With the awards I believe floyd will be the favorite and clearly floyd generates more money.

Comment

• wait you can lose several fights and get some wins that were really losses and be the fotd?

Comment

• I cant believe *****s have dragged this topic into the 12 page, but its shows he has fans.
                    FOTD does what it says on the tin. It means pac is the FIGHTER OF THE DECADE.
                    The only better award you can get than FOTD is fighter of the century.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
                      I don't understand why people keep acting like FOTD is a popularity contest? It boggles my mind that people think that.

FOTD was really a 3 man race Pac, Floyd, and Hopkins and IMO in that order.

I don't understand why the decade that Manny won is the only decade that FOTD means absolutely nothing. Nobody was saying that in 90's or the 80's or the 70's or the 60's or the 50's but in 2000-2009 it means nothing? Whatever...

Did Floyd deserve it? Sure you can make a case he was the runner up IMO. But, Pac deserved it also and earned it too. To say he didn't or only won cuz Floyd is hated or cuz is a "popularity contest" which is absurd/ I will call bull****.
                      I never siad the award means nothing, but it boggles my mind how you won't accept that a prestigous award of ANY kind isn't based mostly on the recipient's popularity. I also think that even putting Pac OR Floyd in the same conversation as SRR and Ali is premature to say the least. But I guess we just have less to work with these days compared to the previous decades.

Comment

Working...
                      X