No announcement yet.

Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao in a historical perspective

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao in a historical perspective

Before you move this to a different section, give it a chance. I just wanna hear what the history section has on how this fight will go down and who they think will win, instead of scrolling through trolls.

Edit by BattlingNelson:

Forgive me likeamulekick.

I think we should debate this matchup from a historical perspective. Talkingpoints could be:

- How long should we go back to find a fight of this significance/magnitude?

- Can the belated timing of the fight compare to previous superfights and what is the significance of that?

- How will the outcome affect the Winner/loser in an all-time perspective?

- Is this the globally most significant fight of all time?

And so on.

Note that this thread will be moderated so NO TROLLING and no FANBOYISM.

Thank you.
    Last edited by BattlingNelson; 02-24-2015, 06:16 AM.

The verdict will be controversial and leave Mayweather's "0" in tact.

From a historical standpoint, at this phase in their careers, it means nothing, or next to it. They are both past their best. It will determine who was better between the two in 2015, who had the most left.

I can't even get up for this fight.

This fight should have happened 6 years ago.
    Last edited by K-DOGG; 02-23-2015, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by K-DOGG View Post
      The verdict will be controversial and leave Mayweather's "0" in tact.

From a historical standpoint, at this phase in their careers, it means nothing, or next to it. They are both past their best. It will determine who was better between the two in 2015, who had the most left.

I can't even get up for this fight.

This fight should have happened 6 years ago.
      Pretty much agree with this^^^^^^^^

Mayweather v Pac has definitely lost some of its luster...

Basically it's just an event now...The significance of the outcome is not what it would have been had they met 5yrs ago...

I think Floyd will win in a competitive fight where the action leaves MOST not wanting more...Underneath all the bravado exists a great deal of respect from both sides...

You'll see fight night...It's going to be a cautious chess match with not many clean shots landed but Floyd will prolly do just enough to get his hand raised...Something like DLH V Whitacker...

Comment

Thread has been edited and stuck.

Please keep it clean.

Comment

Biggest money fight ever

Winner is arguably the greatest fighter of the 21st century

It would be between the winner and the Great Bernard Hopkins

Comment

I will try my best to say this in the most neutral way possible. I hate fanboys and I hate to be accused as a pact*rd, but I genuinely believe that Pac has very little to lose in this fight.

Pac will be more forgiven if he lost this May, because obviously he lost before, brutally, to opponents that are not on Floyd's level. On the contrary Floyd had built this invincible aura, if he lost, especially right now at the end of his career, people will think that his whole legacy had been a product of cherry picking. Which is a shame because this man is clearly an ATG

From most of the "all-time" rankings that I've seen, Pac is slighly more favored. I feel that it will stay that way until their retirements in their next year or two. But who knows really? Anything can happen in boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Nagabilly View Post
              I will try my best to say this in the most neutral way possible. I hate fanboys and I hate to be accused as a pact*rd, but I genuinely believe that Pac has very little to lose in this fight.

Pac will be more forgiven if he lost this May, because obviously he lost before, brutally, to opponents that are not on Floyd's level. On the contrary Floyd had built this invincible aura, if he lost, especially right now at the end of his career, people will think that his whole legacy had been a product of cherry picking. Which is a shame because this man is clearly an ATG

From most of the "all-time" rankings that I've seen, Pac is slighly more favored. I feel that it will stay that way until their retirements in their next year or two. But who knows really? Anything can happen in boxing.
              I agree...

From the standpoint that the general public will be far more accepting of a Pac loss as opposed to the reaction if Floyd were to come up short....

How the winner reaches his objective will be critical also...an unjustified verdict will do little for either man's legacy...Just look at Bradley for proof of that...Poor lil fella almost killed himself as a result of the negative backlash from the first Pac fight....

I actually think when all is said & done that reactions will be tempered from both sides...I mean let's face it...Neither guy is anywhere near their respective primes...This fight is more an event than a meaningful match with historical implications...Of course the groupies on either side will take the results & use it as fodder to support their guy...but in reality, in order to truly measure the worth of the two fighters in question...This thing would have had to have happened 5yrs ago .

Comment

I don't agree with those who discredit this fight citing that the guys are too much past it now. I mean Floyd is #1 pound for pound and the last decade Pacquiao has only lost once in 2012 against the guy he has struggled with since the beginning.

Just because they're not in their absolute peak anymore doesn't make it meaningless considering their current stature. If anything at this moment the fight could be the most competitive it has ever been.

I think it's the most important fight since maybe Holyfield-Tyson 1.

Comment

Originally posted by THE REED™
                  I agree with having the fight now it will be at its most competitive height.

I think mainly due to the Floyd not having the legs he did 5 years ago... I think 5 years ago Floyd would of boxed circles around Pacquiao, specifically because of Pacquiaos inexcusable incapability of cutting the ring off.
                  This kinda supports what I'm saying...

While it may be more competitive now, we aren't getting the true representation of their skills at the height of their respective physical primes...It may make for a more competitive fight but history will judge accordingly...

I'm not really concerned with p4p rankings, so their placement on the list means little to mean...I trust my eyes & they tell me both guys are on the decline...Now that doesn't mean that they can't still fight & entertain...or even that they aren't still the 2 best fighters in the world p4p...

All I'm saying is that we will NOT SEE the best Pac & the best Mayweather on May the 2nd...

What we'll see are a 34yr old Pac at his best vs a 38yr old Mayweather at his best & I believe when it's all said & done history will reflect as much....Thats all...

Comment

Lets put it this way, I believe they have declined about an equal amount. Pacquiao doesn't destroy his opponents anymore with his youthful style(and is now more skilled and technical and intelligent to make up for it) while Mayweather doesn't completely shut-out and make his opponents look like amateurs anymore in every fight.

This is why it's not that much of an issue. You'd have a point if one guy was much more past his prime than the other but it's not. How can some people not be extremely excited for this fight I don't know, maybe some kind of bitterness.

Comment

Working...
                    X