Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can some one elaborate on this picture

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People in degrees like Environmental Studies like wtf is that? if its Environmental Sciences that's different. Drama studies too like what the hell?

There needs to be some sort of regulatory system that channels people in high school about their aptitudes and divert them in that direction. As an example a kid not good at academics shouldnt waste time learning philosophy so he can tell people he went to university, but work in technical hands on stuff and contribute to the economy.

Yes we need people in liberal arts as well, but there has to be some sort of screening process as finding employment in those areas is hard enough you have an oversupply.

Comment

Originally posted by One_Capitalist View Post
      Everybody wants a liberal arts degree in something unproductive....yet they expect someone else to create all the goods and products that everybody uses. Ppl want to be accountants yet they expect somebody else to do all the goods producing work that gets taxed in real terms. It's like that paradigm in India where everybody wants a son yet they magically expect everybody else to keep supplying them with all the daughters and future wives. Somehow there is this assumption that the Capitalist economic growth will always be there.... so lets just figure out ways to extract resources from it [taxes] and live around it [have some make-work job so they can buy the smartphones, the car, new air conditioner etc,.].

Forget the degrees. You want demand, start creating more supply by having a job that supplies us with tangible goods. That's how standard of living rises and how we get cheap prices. Don't expect the govt and your useless degrees to create demand. And embrace Capitalism and Supply-side economics. Learn it, live it, love it....
      That doesnt make much sense though.

Production techniques have improved so much since the Victorian times that there simply arent the jobs in manufacturing industries like there used to be. My last job was in a sugar processing factory, there were max 150 people people on site who were actually taking care of the production side of things (this is for around 8000 tonnes of sugar beet a day). These are mostly all maintenance staff who are making sure the machines are running smoothly and efficiently.

What that means is that companies can afford to pay for advertisers, IT staff, accountants, and all the other **** which you say 'isnt needed' (and also are primarily graduate jobs), to help grow the business and make it run more smoothly.

You're living in the past brother, the future is white collar.

Comment

we're just trying to keep poor, dumb people out of college, and the subsequent positions of power that come with graduation.

Comment

College is not a trade school, and that's what ppl have tried to turn it into. They have trade schools and career schools that a person can go to if they want to further thier education for job purposes but college's and universities are suppose to be for education even tho they the degree u earn may help u with a job or career it shouldn't b the primary objective

Comment

Oh my...we've got a wild one over here. He completely ignored my point of the abundance of young ppl pursuing degrees that have NO job prospects...and ignoring the demand in fields that do.

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
            That doesnt make much sense though.

Production techniques have improved so much since the Victorian times that there simply arent the jobs in manufacturing industries like there used to be. My last job was in a sugar processing factory, there were max 150 people people on site who were actually taking care of the production side of things (this is for around 8000 tonnes of sugar beet a day). These are mostly all maintenance staff who are making sure the machines are running smoothly and efficiently.

What that means is that companies can afford to pay for advertisers, IT staff, accountants, and all the other **** which you say 'isnt needed' (and also are primarily graduate jobs), to help grow the business and make it run more smoothly.

You're living in the past brother, the future is white collar.
            No...I'd like the small size of govt from the past combined with today's technology & Healthcare/medicine. We'd be living in paradise right now. You have framed this issue completely wrong ignoring all the regulations and barriers to entry that have regulated jobs out of existence or forced them to be outsourced. The perfect example is the automation of cashiers in Europe's McDonald's. They're not doing this because it has to be done for the sake of doing it. They're doing it because the jobs are being priced out of existence....such as calls for higher minimum wages and other benefits that no start-up job should have. This has not happened yet in the U.S...but if they keep calling for 15 an hour wages it will.

Also, there are plenty of jobs in manufacturing but not enough ppl are qualified to do it since ppl would rather do something more glossy like being Magazine Editors and Photographers rather than produce the goods that we all use every day.

http://moneymorning.com/2013/07/29/u...-to-be-filled/
            Last edited by One_Tycoon; 03-16-2014, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev-
              Quote:

Originally Posted by One_Capitalist

Everybody wants a liberal arts degree in something unproductive....yet they expect someone else to create all the goods and products that everybody uses. Ppl want to be accountants yet they expect somebody else to do all the goods producing work that gets taxed in real terms. It's like that paradigm in India where everybody wants a son yet they magically expect everybody else to keep supplying them with all the daughters and future wives. Somehow there is this assumption that the Capitalist economic growth will always be there.... so lets just figure out ways to extract resources from it [taxes] and live around it [have some make-work job so they can buy the smartphones, the car, new air conditioner etc,.].

Forget the degrees. You want demand, start creating more supply by having a job that supplies us with tangible goods. That's how standard of living rises and how we get cheap prices. Don't expect the govt and your useless degrees to create demand. And embrace Capitalism and Supply-side economics. Learn it, live it, love it....

Engineering, Accounting, Doctor/Nurse aren't useless though.
              I'm making sure my kids understand what engineering is. As minorities, I don't think it has been pushed enough to our children. But that's changing, but only because we're not "new" anymore.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

College isn't for everybody. It used to be back in the 60's and 70's you get a college degree, and you're guaranteed a job when you leave school.

Now days, all these people are going to college, and piling up debt, and don't get the job they went to school for once they graduate.

I didn't finish at Metro State in Denver, I did a little over a year. Left and went full time at my job I had back then. By 21 I was promoted to assistant manager, 23 I was store manager, 28 district manager, and just recently regional.

Look at teachers. In Douglas County, south Denver metro area, they've cut funding for schools and everything. And there are new teachers, who went anywhere from 4-6 years in college, who are being hired......and are taking home barely $20,000 after taxes. And they have 6 classes, 180 students.

It's ridiculous. College is good and certainly can help you get ahead. But unless you get a scholarship of some kind, can just naturally afford it, or get the job you went for or another good one once you finish, you're just going to be looking for a job like everyone else is and piled with crazy debt.

Comment

The times have changed years ago all you would have to do it go to college get a degree than walk into a job after college. Now you have to go to college gain working experience in college (internships, part time work, clubs), networking, and getting good grades.

You can't phone it in for 4 years and walk out of college and expect a job. That includes STEM majors too. If you think just because you majored engineering you are going to get a job after graduation you are crazy. You NEED internships because there will be thousands of guys fresh out of college with relevant experience and will get signed over you. In the same token though you can get an easy major and as long as you actively work towards getting career upon graduation while in college you will probably be good.

The point is, college is probably the best career tool available in the country. It is grossly over expensive, but regardless important. Because if you think it is hard getting a job out of college with a BA it is infinitely harder to get a job with only a high school diploma unless you are pursuing a trade. Even if you do get a decent job without a college degree promotions are going to be hard to come by.

It isn't until recently that this shift in what college is happened and hopefully the proper steps are being taken to guide high schoolers. If college students work while in school part time to help pay for it, manage their time better to focus on a career afterwards, and don't go to schools that are too far above their means they will be fine.

Comment

lol do you realize that a bachelor's in accounting is not a standard bookkeeping job? As long as organizations exist, accountants exist. It is far from a useless profession and actually rather one of the most secure white collar fields you can pursue, especially when you become a CPA.

You know who hates on undergraduate degrees? Blue collar robots complaining about their aching backs who only wish they had the chance of attaining a higher education lol. This is 2014 not 1929. If you want stability, you get a degree.

Comment

I didn't mention engineering. Just accounting because someone else mentioned it. There are worse things to be majoring in. You're going off track and ignoring the overall point. Yes...Accounting is useful as long as there are taxes we are forced to pay. It's particularly useful if you're going to be an accountant for a company/business, helping them find tax loopholes so that they can keep more of their earnings. But not if everybody goes into accounting and other non-goods producing jobs.
                      I wanted to get into the aerospace engineering field, that is the most interesting field IMO. Unfortunately I am just way too stupid for the advanced math involved in that stuff.

Comment

Working...
                      X