No announcement yet.

Short Heavyweights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short Heavyweights?

I'm currently 16 years old and I'm a black belt in Karate.

I'll be starting boxing soon. I currently weigh 144, slim but very muscular.

I'm currently 5'10.5, but I think I'm still growing. I could maybe reach 6'0-6'1.

Is this too short to become a heavyweight boxer? I wouldn't have the reach on the giants, however 10 years of Karate has taught me to move in and attack so I could possibly make it. What do you think?

If you are 5'10.5 at 16, you could top out at 5'11"

and at 144lb you are obviously quite small build, even for your age

I was 6'1" 180 at 16, and now at 25 im 6'1.5, 204, I didn't grow much, just fill out a bit.

i'd aim for supper middleweight, you don't want to be fighting 6'6 250lb guys

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
      If you are 5'10.5 at 16, you could top out at 5'11"

and at 144lb you are obviously quite small build, even for your age

I was 6'1" 180 at 16, and now at 25 im 6'1.5, 204, I didn't grow much, just fill out a bit.

i'd aim for supper middleweight, you don't want to be fighting 6'6 250lb guys
      I've sparred with 6'9 290 lb's and won. However that was from a kick.

My voice still hasn't broken and I haven't started shaving yet so :S

Comment

Why would you want too go up too heavyweight when you're naturally much smaller ?, you've got good height for a welterweight / light middle , I'd stay down if I was you where you have that advantage, don't really want too give it up for no good reason.

Comment

Originally posted by JRiches View Post
          I've sparred with 6'9 290 lb's and won. However that was from a kick.

My voice still hasn't broken and I haven't started shaving yet so :S
          They must have been rubbish

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
            They must have been rubbish
            No. I just kept stepping inside / outside and catching him with kicks and punches.

Comment

I wouldn't push for heavyweight if you only weigh 144. Stay in shape and let any size growth come natural.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                I wouldn't push for heavyweight if you only weigh 144. Stay in shape and let any size growth come natural.
                Is light heavyweight possible? I prefer to fight taller opponents than short ones?

Comment

Originally posted by JRiches View Post
                  Is light heavyweight possible? I prefer to fight taller opponents than short ones?
                  Anything is possible and I can't say how much you will grow, nobody can predict that. But if you end up tall for you weight, use that to your advantage. Tall fighters become good against shorter fighters because it is what they are used to.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                    Anything is possible and I can't say how much you will grow, nobody can predict that. But if you end up tall for you weight, use that to your advantage. Tall fighters become good against shorter fighters because it is what they are used to.
                    But then I'm always punching down, and they can move fast. It's easier to beat taller opponents than shorter ones (But I'm just going from my experience of Karate). I'll stick to your advice and stay lighter for now until I've finished growing, then in a few years I'll decide whether or not to loose / gain weight.

Comment

Working...
                    X