Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would Gene Tunney versus Marciano have gone?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would Gene Tunney versus Marciano have gone?

Who wins and why,this is an interesting match up in my opinion

10 rounds would favour Tunney, 15 would favour Marciano.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
      this^^^^.............

Comment

Damn i can just imagine this fight

Comment

Rocky knocks out Tunney late

Comment

This is a real good match up.

I have to admit that I never had a whole lot of love for tunney because I liked Dempsey so much. But I've since read the biography of Tunney & he really was a GREAT fighter! He's still not one of my favorites, but I under-rated him back in the day.

I'm a big fan of Marciano. But all the guys who fought Rocky were either old or not really a serious threat to beat him. Charles & Walcott were old & they still gave him trouble. That right there is a big deal to me.

I'll take Tunney by a decision. Of the two, I like Rocky much more, but I have to respect Tunney's talent.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
              I agree...

Comment

Originally posted by Terry A View Post

I have to admit that I never had a whole lot of love for tunney because I liked Dempsey so much. But I've since read the biography of Tunney & he really was a GREAT fighter! He's still not one of my favorites, but I under-rated him back in the day.

I'm a big fan of Marciano. But all the guys who fought Rocky were either old or not really a serious threat to beat him. Charles & Walcott were old & they still gave him trouble. That right there is a big deal to me.

I'll take Tunney by a decision. Of the two, I like Rocky much more, but I have to respect Tunney's talent.

Its quite amusing but I am the exact opposite here. I'm a Tunney fan, much more so than Marciano, but I've got a feeling that Marciano would grind him down late.

They match up well in size terms. Tunney has the advantage in speed, technique and ring smarts, Rocky the advantages in workrate and power.

I just fancy that prime Marciano is much more of a force than Dempsey was in 1927.......and if Dempsey could come close to stopping Tunney; Well?

For whats its worth I will say one thing, Tunney would be probably ahead on points at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry A View Post

Thank you for being honest and objective. Rocky was a great fighter but sometimes people's loyalty and biased views cloud their intellect and judgement.

Comment

Tunney was a master craftsman and incredibly intelligent boxer. His defensive ability and counter punching skills were very special to see. Rocky Marciano of course the complete opposite of Tunney in every way. Rocky was the definition of a blood & guts warrior. He could take your shots and deliver his own venom which shook you to the core. He was definitely dangerous when it came to brawling.

The only way I think Tunney can prevail against Rocky is to Stick & Move and not let Marciano lure him into a punching match. Tunney would have to use his superior ring IQ to be a step ahead and befuddle him. Hopefully Tunney's stamina will not betray him. If he does all this successfully he'll win a decision.

Rocky would have to cut off the ring and bull him to the ropes. The less ring room for Tunney to run around in the better for Marciano. That means Tunney would feel his power much more.

Whoever is more successful with their game plan will win the fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X