Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Of the recent ATGs Julio Cesar Chavez is a bit overrated by the media and casuals

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of the recent ATGs Julio Cesar Chavez is a bit overrated by the media and casuals

As many times as I've seen people on this forum say this fighter or that fighter never beat a prime great, the great J.C. Superstar did not either

He has 2 of the most controversial outcomes of a fight in the last 25 years and he escaped with out a loss.....Taylor kick his butt and Whitaker boxed his ears off.

some say he had a loss removed from before his title days

He barely got by good but not great Rocky Lockridge and Juan Laporte

he had over a 100 fights but Manny, Mayweather, DLH, Jones, Hopkins, and others had 40 or more less fights than him and they faced more former champions and beat more hall of famers

Some say he is the great Mexican fighter of all time......I don't think so.....there were too many great fighters in mexico to go that far and some fought better comp.....Personally I rate Juan Manuel Marquez, Erik Morales, Manuel Ortiz and Ruben Olivares over him

He is a great fighter but refs and judges helped him out in some of his biggest fights

some people have him as high as the top 20 all time.......I don't have him that high and off the top of my head I can name 20 fighters ahead of him all time
    Last edited by therealpugilist; 12-28-2015, 12:17 PM.

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
    Personally I rate Juan Manuel Marquez, Erik Morales, Manuel Ortiz and Ruben Olivares over him

Comment

In the 1980's he was very overrated. He had a large, loyal and often unbearable fanbase that considered him to be a Top 10 ATG.

He had a aura of invincibility when he was undefeated (similar to Mayweather) even after the Taylor fight, it's just like no one could beat the guy.

Not so much this day and age.

He's still a great fighter though.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        In the 1980's he was very overrated. He had a large, loyal and often unbearable fanbase that considered him to be a Top 10 ATG.

He had a aura of invincibility when he was undefeated (similar to Mayweather) even after the Taylor fight, it's just like no one could beat the guy.

Not so much this day and age.

He's still a great fighter though.
        talking to people who were around in his prime like I was, they still speak of him in that light....some people still do

of course he is great but not no top 10 p4p or top 20

Comment

He's only overrated by a certain few. The true boxing historians and many in the boxing media don't rate him that highly all time. When Floyd placed Chavez in his top five fighters of all time list even the Mexican commentators seemed surprised. Chavez felt like an odd pick to even them. Chavez had a very padded record and always looked average when facing an elite level opponent. Despite all of this Chavez was still very good.

Comment

you like being red k'd, don't you?

Comment

Very overrated. I laugh when I see him appear on top 20 lists.

He's underrated skill wise though. I give him that. There is a lot more to his game than the brawler label he's been tagged with.

Comment

Hes somewhere between 25-35 atg, probably in the latter portion.

Comment

Agreed. Chavez was a great fight but very much so overrated fighting overwhelmed opponents with very little experience or skill. A built up record of a bunch of taxi drivers. Certainly he was an amazing fighter to watch but his status amoungst some of the great is sometimes overly hyped by a beating he received by Taylor.

Still a great Mexican boxer but very much so overrated

Comment

Originally posted by PBP. View Post
                    Very overrated. I laugh when I see him appear on top 20 lists.

He's underrated skill wise though. I give him that. There is a lot more to his game than the brawler label he's been tagged with.
                    he is very underrated skill wise as far as his defense and ability to parry and slip shots

He is overrated as far as how great he was in my book

Comment

Working...
                    X