Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Double standards with regards to Alvarado?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double standards with regards to Alvarado?

Most on here agree that Alvarado showed a lot of heart and what not and I agree. I also agree and understand why he didn't want to continue.

But a lot the same posters who sympathise with Alvarado are the ones who vilified Ortiz for quitting against Alvarado. Both quit for the same reasons, because they "did not want to be taking that much punishment". I know Alvarado took more punishment and had virtually nothing left, but Ortiz still had taken punishment and at the end of the day we aren't the ones in the ring.

I just think there's some double standards.

LOL at even comparing Ortiz quitting against Maidana to Alvarado giving everything he had.

A more fitting comparison is Cotto taking the knee against Margarito. Both Cotto and Alvarado fought their hearts and bodies to the limit and had nothing left to give.

Comment

yup if this was ortiz it would be a ****storm on here

Comment

Ortiz would have stopped after the first knockdown.

Comment

I don't criticize any fighter for ending the fight on their own terms, but I don't think the circumstances are the same. Alvarado has shown his strength of character from Prescott to Provodnikov, and he was getting badly beaten last night. Ortiz gave in the first time he was met with strong resistance and has only shown strength and grit against Berto. Ortiz just has a lower breaking point than Alvarado.
          Last edited by kiaba360; 10-20-2013, 09:58 AM.

Comment

I don't really care for Ortiz quitting against Lopez because of his jaw but quitting against Maidana was a complete ***** move IMO because he had a lot left in the tank. Alvarado left everything in the ring while for the rest of Ortiz's life he can wonder whether or not he would have been able to come back against Maidana because he did have a lot left and we will never know because he mentally quit far before his body was done.

Comment

Ortiz quit like a b1tch. Alvarado and Cotto are similar but guess what???! It's 2013 and I still get **** from fans about him, even after tony got caught cheating in his next fight and probably do so in their fight. Alvarado quits last night and all I see is oh he had nothing left, it's ok, gotta look out for his health etc... And I agree but why slay my boy Cotto and then others get a pass??? That's the problem. Guys who go out there and give their heart and soul are warriors but for some reason certain fighters get slayed and others get a pass. Think it's bull****.

Comment

Ortiz quit twice though. I personally was fine with the Lopez stoppage, his jaw was a mess and it still doesn't look right!

Comment

Originally posted by arizashakes View Post
                  Most on here agree that Alvarado showed a lot of heart and what not and I agree. I also agree and understand why he didn't want to continue.

But a lot the same posters who sympathise with Alvarado are the ones who vilified Ortiz for quitting against Alvarado. Both quit for the same reasons, because they "did not want to be taking that much punishment". I know Alvarado took more punishment and had virtually nothing left, but Ortiz still had taken punishment and at the end of the day we aren't the ones in the ring.

I think a better comparison is Cotto and Alvarado.

Ortiz still had more to give vs Maidana but he quit. Cotto and Alvarado both gave it their all and got the fight beat out of them. I know it's hard to tell but there's a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by arizashakes View Post

WTF are you talking about? Do you mean Ortiz quitting against Lopez or the Maidana fight?

Comment

Working...
                    X