Curiosity Mars rover finds soil similar to Hawaii's

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curiosity Mars rover finds soil similar to Hawaii's

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20151789

Nasa's Curiosity rover has found soil on Mars to be similar to Hawaii's after sifting and scanning its first sample on the Red Planet.

The robot's CheMin instrument shook out fine particles of soil and fired X-rays at them to determine their composition.

These sandy samples should give clues about Mars' recent geological history.

As had been theorised, much of the sample is made of weathered "basaltic" materials of volcanic origin, like that seen on the islands of Hawaii.

The sample seems to contain dust carried from afar by Mars' global-scale storms, as well as coarser sand of more local provenance.

that proposes a geology that is or once was quite active. gotta figure that they'd have the warmth for liquid water if the b#tch is volcanic.

getting interesting up there.

i'm waiting for the rock with a fossilized critter in it. we can pop champagne when they pull one of those out of there.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      that proposes a geology that is or once was quite active. gotta figure that they'd have the warmth for liquid water if the b#tch is volcanic.

getting interesting up there.

i'm waiting for the rock with a fossilized critter in it. we can pop champagne when they pull one of those out of there.
      It is getting interesting. I can imagine that at one time there may have been life forms on mars - in fact, because there's water there, there may still be.

Comment

Im with you guys, pass the popcorn as this is getting better all the time

America, you guys rock (for now )

Comment

Working...
        X