Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fighters who attempted suicide after boxing

ricky hatton..........

anybody else

I heard Oscar tried to kill himself. Also Alexis Arguello, unfortunately it was a successful attempt

Comment

Lots and lots of other boxers have committed suicide... including champs such as Kid McCoy, Billy Papke, Randy Turpin, Freddie Mills and Edwin Valero.

Comment

wowwwwww.... soo many...

Comment

i remember something about bruno being in a similiar situation but can't remember the details

Comment

stanley ketchel sleep with the wrong guys girlfriend. Opps I guess it could be murder.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
              stanley ketchel sleep with the wrong guys girlfriend. Opps I guess it could be murder.
              Could be?

That was plain murder.

Shot and killed.

Comment

Originally posted by GAME2010 View Post
                ricky hatton..........

anybody else
                A recent one that I remember was Najai Turpin who appeared on the TV series "The Contender." I also believe Ricky Womack did, who was once a promising cruiserweight.

Comment

It's a very common thing among athletes in general. Not just boxers. When you finish your career, you stop getting the intense endorphin rush on a daily basis, you stop using up the intense mental and physical energy that all athletes have in abundance through training and thus it slowly builds up and develops into dangerous levels.

Comment

Very true. It happens to former athletes and coaches who feel they have nothing to live for anymore. We often hear about coaches retiring who die shortly after. They're not suicides, more of a will to live issue. Junior Seau too, case in point, guy played for 20 years, had a great NFL pension and still killed himself.

And didn't the ref for the Mancini-Kim fight commit suicide afterwards? In some cases with boxing, it's also a poverty thing. For every Leonard, De La Hoya or Mayweather that makes a ton of money, there's at least 100 guys that either just get by or struggle.

Comment

Working...
                    X