No announcement yet.

Price of Glory

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price of Glory

Did you see this movie? I guess at least some of you have. Well, I've realised that the main character which Jimmy Smits plays is based on Yaqui Lopez. Why? Because he lives in California and comes from Zacatecas in Mexico, just like Yaqui. Also, Yaqui and Smits are both tall and rangy, the young guy playing Smits in that movie is like that also. And in the movie, Smits' character was rushed into a big fight before he was ready. He never won a world title, same as Yaqui Lopez, although Yaqui didn't win it because he lost some very close decisions to world class opponents.

So I think the main character is at least inspired, if not based on, by Lopez.

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
    Did you see this movie? I guess at least some of you have. Well, I've realised that the main character which Jimmy Smits plays is based on Yaqui Lopez. Why? Because he lives in California and comes from Zacatecas in Mexico, just like Yaqui. Also, Yaqui and Smits are both tall and rangy, the young guy playing Smits in that movie is like that also. And in the movie, Smits' character was rushed into a big fight before he was ready. He never won a world title, same as Yaqui Lopez, although Yaqui didn't win it because he lost some very close decisions to world class opponents.

So I think the main character is at least inspired, if not based on, by Lopez.
    Sounds like it's based on Lopez.

To me, fighters like Lopez are every bit as important to the sport of boxing as are guys like Leonard, Tyson, DeLaHoya, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
      Sounds like it's based on Lopez.

To me, fighters like Lopez are every bit as important to the sport of boxing as are guys like Leonard, Tyson, DeLaHoya, etc.
      Very true. They make up the other half in the title fights, the challengers. They are always willing to take a fight, no matter how tough it is. And the sport hasn't been exactly grateful to guys like Yaqui, he coulda won at least one of those title fights had the judges been on his side. Conteh and Galindez got 3 razor thin decisions on him.

Comment

Working...
      X