Klitschko-Povetkin: Lean On Me

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Klitschko-Povetkin: Lean On Me

by Ben Thomsett

The last time Wladimir Klitschko fought a world title fight we all mocked him because of the quality of his opponent. Now, last night, it's gone way beyond mocking as he cheated and wrestled Alexander "Russian Bear" Povetkin to his demise. Here's a question - Excluding the Klitschko's, when was the last time you saw a heavyweight world champion gain four knockdowns in one fight by simply pushing over his opponent? None, is the answer. But that didn't stop Wladimir breaking new ground in ensuring heavyweight boxing loses it's skill and heart. His "Performance" was the most dire, sad, and heartbreaking boxing display I've ever seen in my life.

Where, in the boxing rules, does it say you can throw a man to the floor? Where does it say you can wrap up on an opponent EVERY time he gets near you without even throwing a punch or defending yourself? How does that Ref sleep? It was the most repulsive display of rule breaking in "boxing" since Tyson bit Holyfields ear off fifteen years ago.

The consequences of this fight are many; it seems as though this now is the reality of heavyweight boxing, grabbing, wrestling, throwing, leaning, pushing. The fight and the skill is disappearing. Get used to it folks because the world has accepted we can no longer expect skill and craft in a world heavyweight title fight. It's not that the Klitschko brothers aren't decent boxers - they are - it's just that their approach to winning has now rung the death knell for anything resembling watchable entertainment in the supposed blue ribbon event.

When Povetkin said post-fight that Wladimir was the "greatest", I just sat there open-mouthed. Here was a man who had just spent the equivalent of an entire football match being kicked in the goolies and he actually praised the other guy! You've got to admire Povetkin for trying, but honestly, if I was a heavyweight boxer right now I'd be thinking of trimming my weight down to Cruiser just to escape being involved in a spectacle like last night. During the fight Povetkin tried over and over again to get inside on Wladimir but Klitschko kept on hold and smothering him. Even when Povetkin had one arm free he still didn't use it on the inside, even Roy Jones noticed the fact. It was as though he had forgotten what to do. Klitschko just hugged and held and leaned and pushed his way to, I think, 6 knockdowns and a total points decision. The crowd booed. I can't see anybody alive beating Wlad now his game plan has been approved at the highest level in the most important fight of his past 4 years or so. This was a sad, sad night for boxing and neither man really came out of it with any credit.

At ringside were the cast-offs of the money earned by Klitschko. A tanned, vodka-soaked, procession of rich men and women who cheered every single clinch. That, my friends, is the reason last night took place: Money is now so important, unbeaten stats are so important, and the pot of gold at the end of the bruise-coloured rainbow brings with it the utter fear of loss. A fight of that kind of money will set a man up for life; something that helped Povetkin through his post-fight rage. Both men walked away with their pride cushioned from a mattress stuffed with cash. These things can soften any blows, even the unfair ones. The fight went the way it was supposed to and we found out exactly how far Klitschko will go to stay at the top. The only thing I learned last night from that fight was that some people will literally do anything for money....

http://www.************.com/showthre...0#.UlVO6VDrzRY

I see Povetkin and his team are taking action against Pabon.

Comment

If you never saw a wrestiling match in boxing ring, plz man go watch Ruiz vs Golota. Your article makes no sense. Man Garcia used clinch in all dangerous situations against Lucas, Trout used clintch agaisnt Cotto, clinch isn't illegal and there is no rule how many cliches can be made. So stop the cry emo.
      By the way emo, Povetkin was responsible for half clinches that happened, how many times that fat boy went inside with his head almost near the ground?
      He wasn't hitting he just went inside with his head so low that he was almost kissing Klitschkos boots. And every time when Klitschko hurt him what did he do, he was clinhing a lot himself.
      Yes, there was too many clinches in that fight, but lets face the truth Povetkin was too much overated for sure.
      I bet my money on Klitschko and was 100% sure about his win, because Povetkin is just a good B class boxer, He was matched with easy opponents all his carrer waiting for a big payday against Klitschko.
      How he got the shot agaisnt Klitschko when he defeated only 1 of top 20 heavyweights by decision. And I mean Ruslan Chagaev was one of those like number 18-19 of those best 20.
      Povetkin looked poor agaisnt Marco Huck who is even not natural born heavyweight, I mean he looked poor in all his fights against someone better then B class boxer....
      His amateur background is his biggest problem, his body is not prepared for a long fight. He looks like a walking dead from the round 6.
      Povetkin that is a mistake and mismatch. Klitschko has his style and he fights that way, Povetkin knew it all his life, he prepared for that fight and...
      He shown nothing worth to look, he was landing nothing, I mean total zero. Was knocked down in second round by short hook. Pfffffffffff....
      Even Pianeta survived second round better. Povetkin is a comercial "record" fighter, when they place him agaisnt Fury,Stiverne, Price, Haye, Wilder, Arreola, Pulev you will see that the fat boy is just a punching bag. Man even glass jaw Seth Mitchell can destroy him...
      The problem is not the Klitschko and his fighting style, Problem is overrated undefeated opposition who gets the title shot without facing anyone fr4om top 20....

Comment

Working...
      X