No announcement yet.

Casual uninformed boxing fans can be annoying

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casual uninformed boxing fans can be annoying

I was at work yesterday and in the break room one of my coworkers started talking about the Pacquiao knockout loss to JMM etc. Well eventually as usual the discussion shifted to Mayweather and how he hasn't fought anyone his whole career and that's why he is undefeated. He stated that Floyd should fight Marquez since Marquez just beat Pacquiao. That's when I said that yes I would be glad to see Marquez get another big payday, but I don't think the outcome of the fight would be any different than there first fight a rew years ago. He then said what first fight. After I told him about the first fight and how Floyd pretty much won every minute of the fight, he says well Marquez wasn't established as a good fighter back then. I said you are right he was already established as a great fighter but Floyd was and would always be a bad matchup for him stylistically. Well he went on to trash Floyd some more and then talked about how the two (RUSSIAN) heavyweight brothers are bad for boxing etc. and that they haven't fought anyone either. It's baseless idle chatter like that from clueless part time boxing fans, whom only watch the marquee fights that really gets my goat.

Originally posted by trufightfanatic View Post
    I was at work yesterday and in the break room one of my coworkers started talking about the Pacquiao knockout loss to JMM etc. Well eventually as usual the discussion shifted to Mayweather and how he hasn't fought anyone his whole career and that's why he is undefeated. He stated that Floyd should fight Marquez since Marquez just beat Pacquiao. That's when I said that yes I would be glad to see Marquez get another big payday, but I don't think the outcome of the fight would be any different than there first fight a rew years ago. He then said what first fight. After I told him about the first fight and how Floyd pretty much won every minute of the fight, he says well Marquez wasn't established as a good fighter back then. I said you are right he was already established as a great fighter but Floyd was and would always be a bad matchup for him stylistically. Well he went on to trash Floyd some more and then talked about how the two (RUSSIAN) heavyweight brothers are bad for boxing etc. and that they haven't fought anyone either. It's baseless idle chatter like that from clueless part time boxing fans, whom only watch the marquee fights that really gets my goat.
    Use technical terms like "counterpunching" "swarming" "footwork" etc to throw off their rhythm

Comment

[QUOTE=boxing is alive;12877745]Use technical terms like "counterpunching" "swarming" "footwork" etc to throw off their rhythm [/QUOT

Thats exactly what I did. He eventually folded but I was still kinda peeved.

Comment

ironically tho you want to encourage casual fans who are interesting in boxing

when i have a conversation like this i try and find things to agree with as much as possible and only correct them unless they are blatantly wrong... i might try and even suggest a fight or two to watch

but i rarely try and change the opinion of a casual fan unless they ask for it... just not worth it when the other person is so mis-informed and unlikely to admit it

ps. i don consider myself to be any kind of expert but i do follow the sport rather than just watch the marquee fights

Comment

Mayweather ducked Roy Jones!!

I love the casuals that have no sense of weight classes. Everything below heavyweight merges into one class apparently.

Comment

LOL I get a kick out of them and I usually make shit up and tell them so in the hope one day they try to act like they know what they talking about in front of some females and someone calls them out on the dumb shit and embarrass them.

Comment

just use the roger mayweeather technique: "you dont kno sh** about boxing"

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
                Mayweather ducked Roy Jones!!

I love the casuals that have no sense of weight classes. Everything below heavyweight merges into one class apparently.
                Lol I noticed that. But I always argue with them just to entertain myself.

Comment

[QUOTE=trufightfanatic;12877766]
                  Originally posted by boxing is alive View Post
                  Use technical terms like "counterpunching" "swarming" "footwork" etc to throw off their rhythm [/QUOT

Thats exactly what I did. He eventually folded but I was still kinda peeved.
                  Can't blame you. They piss me off too. I told a friend that I think Marquez might win. She was like "what??!!" (rabid pac fan obviously) as if that's such a crazy prediction. I asked her why she said that, her response "I dunno." Guess what? Completely owned after

Comment

Originally posted by trufightfanatic View Post
                    Originally posted by fightfan2007 View Post
                    ironically tho you want to encourage casual fans who are interesting in boxing

when i have a conversation like this i try and find things to agree with as much as possible and only correct them unless they are blatantly wrong... i might try and even suggest a fight or two to watch

but i rarely try and change the opinion of a casual fan unless they ask for it... just not worth it when the other person is so mis-informed and unlikely to admit it

ps. i don consider myself to be any kind of expert but i do follow the sport rather than just watch the marquee fights
                    This is the reason I only watch fights alone or alongside people who actually follow boxing.

Hearing misinformation of strongly opinionated people who haven't done any research whatsoever to get some knowledge angers me

Comment

Working...
                    X