Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

peterson doesn't see anything special in cuban fighters, says they got moves from usa

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree. There's a reason why there have always been American boxers at the very pinnacle of the sport. Americans have always dominated the pound for pound rankings in every relevant weight class since boxing existed as a mainstream sport. The Cuban boxing pedigree is indeed considered elite, however most of the moves they teach were originally taught by American boxers and trainers. It's no secret.

Comment

Originally posted by Omowale Tribe View Post
      I agree. There's a reason why there have always been American boxers at the very pinnacle of the sport. Americans have always dominated the pound for pound rankings in every relevant weight class since boxing existed as a mainstream sport. The Cuban boxing pedigree is indeed considered elite, however most of the moves they teach were originally taught by American boxers and trainers. It's no secret.
      Great trainers like Cus d'amato?

Comment

Originally posted by Hype job View Post
        Great trainers like Cus d'amato?
        You and me have a different perception of what "great" stands for. D'Amato was overrated. Tyson had natural talent that any trainer could have capitalized on.

Comment

You fail to understand that within this very statement, true as it may be, is leading to a false conclusion.

First off: Lets use an analogy with another olympic combat sport, Judo. One can look at Judo since just after the second world war and see three distinct evolutions in Sambo (Russian Judo), Continential Judo (European, American) and Brazilian Judo. There was a big Japanese community in Brazil that developed Judo with an emphasis on certain features, like the Gracie brothers who favored the ground techniques in Judo. Meanwhile in Russia, among other things, the Russians developed leg locks to a an extent not seen in other forms of Judo. All of these forms of Judo developed in isolation from each other and were JAPANESE, coming from either the Kodokan, or even before, through Jiu Jitsu and through Kano's teachings. So all these forms of Judo were influenced by Japan and are also very different.

In boxing we have olympic fighting which has at times in history, been almost on a par with professional level boxing. Boxing started and was developed in England and the continental lands... The great theories and techniques which define the sport were taken and developed in many countries. Mexican fighters have a way they interpret these theories and ideas...we see this when we see a mexican fighter change tempo with his punches and lead with the hook instead of the jab. These ideas were developed in Mexican fighting and came from the great trainers who first started to work on punching, starting with guys like Blackburn.

Cuban fighting theory developed a good deal to adapt to olympic rules and regulations, and developed their own finess and use of the same wellspring of theories and ideas present in boxing as a whole. fighters certainly borrow, but Cuban fighting theory and practice also has been instrumental. Cunam fighters understanding of footwork, angles, use of combo punching and defensive tactics have undergone a period where they were developed and refined in Cuba...the proof is how well cuban fighters do in the professional ranks.

Look at the relative size of Cuba, India, Mexico, China, and Argentina. Look at how many great fighters were produced in these areas per the size of the population and one can see that there was more than borrowing techniques from great American fighters going on in Cuba. And the united states has produced very few fighters as good as Stephenson and Savon, in any division ever.

Comment

You and me have a different perception of what "great" stands for. D'Amato was overrated. Tyson had natural talent that any trainer could have capitalized on.
            ...great trainers like Eddie Futch, Tommy Parks, Al Dundee, Jimmy Glenn

Comment

Peterson is trippin big time.

Comment

I hope you're aware the ancient Egyptians weren't black...

Comment

Originally posted by moonboxer86 View Post
                  http://www.fighthype.com/news/article22941.html

"I didn't see nothing special. All Cuban fighters have a decent fight game, but I didn't see nothing special about him," stated lightweight contender Anthony Peterson, who shared his thoughts on the recent performance of IBF lightweight champion Rances Barthelemy, who scored a unanimous decision victory over Denis Shafikov last month. According to Peterson, who is eager to get a shot at Barthelemy's title, the highly-touted pedigree of Cuban fighters is nothing he's concerned about or hasn't seen before. In fact, Peterson claims the style of several top Cuban fighters is taken directly from American boxers like Pernell Whitaker and Sugar Ray Leonard.

"What people fail to realize is that style that they have was created by Pernell Whitaker and Sugar Ray Leonard. We had that over here. We had that here in the 70's and 80's. We kind of fell off in the 90's and the early millennium. Everybody wasn't accustomed to that type of style. It came back on the circuit and when the Cubans so to speak came out with it, it was like, okay, this is something new. All along, those guys were getting that and copying it from guys from the '76 Olympics and the guys from the '84 Olympics," Peterson explained during a recent conversation with FightHype.com. "AP: Yep! And if you look at the 2000 Olympics with Mario Kindelan, Rigondeaux, and Yuriorkis Gamboa, look at their footwork. Look at all of their footwork and how they position themselves and move and a good account of ring generalship. Like I said, they got that from our fighters that we had. The American fighters that we had from the late 70's and early 80's."
                  At first I thought you were talking about Lamont Peterson, then I read the first couple lines and saw it was Anthony Peterson. That's when I stopped reading and didn't feel the need to vote.

Comment

Yeah, because Egyptians were capable of having hair like this...

Comment

this omowale dude is inkanyamba

Comment

Working...
                      X