No announcement yet.

Cuban Olympic Champion Kicked Off of WSB Team

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuban Olympic Champion Kicked Off of WSB Team

I'm surprised that no info has been posted about the Cuban WSB boxing team fighting an exhibition fight with the Mexican Guerreros tonight. But here's the story:

Cuban Olympic Champ Roniel Iglesias Punished for “Indiscipline”

HAVANA TIMES – Cuban boxer Roniel Iglesias (69 kilograms), the London 2012 Olympic champion, was given a year’s separation from the Cuban national squad “because of indiscipline committed”, reported Prensa Latina.

The Cuban Boxing Federation (FCB) did not specify the” indiscipline” committed by the boxer, saying that the athlete will maintain training in Pinar del Rio, his home province, unable to compete internationally.

As a result of the punishment, Iglesia’s slot on the Cuban boxing team will be taken by Luis Oliva, Cuban runner-up in 60 kilos and a participant in the last World Youth Cup. Iglesias will have the opportunity to join the national team “depending on his good behavior,” said FCB president.

Many times this type of sanction is given to athletes suspected of wanting to leave the island in search of professional sports. However, it is not known if this was the case with Iglesias.

Article Link: http://www.h*********s.org/?p=98394#....Qx6j5aR9.dpuf
    Here's what Roniel's father had to say about the situation (his father's Facebook page):

I want to inform the world and fans of Roniel Iglesias and boxing amateur once again committed an injustice with a Cuban athlete world and Olympic champion and an impeccable track record (over 16 years in the national team), with more than 50 international medals in different tournaments... The athlete, who is considered one of the best athletes the world amateurs... Roniel Iglesias Sotolongo (repeat) 64 kg Olympic champion 2012.

"Friends of sport, my son is not in Mexico participating in the world series, because they sanctioned two years out of the national team..." on suspicion that they could leave the country "... and I can assure you that that is totally false, if my son wanted to leave the country, I, who have been responsible for their education up to the present it would be the first to know, and that I have a legal residence in (Venezuela), reason that would allow me, if it is necessary to make legal proceedings to make travel and I can assure you that you don't need or that they are our plans, however, my son was excited to try their level in this world series (semi-professional) and in my presence refused, promoters of several juicy offers, with much respect to ellos.mas nothing!

Even when the "third-party", little informed decisions will continue destroying the lives of athletes who have given life to the Cuban sport!!!! Family and supporters are very annoying so unfair decision and hope that sport and Government direction rectified for the ample reason to err is wise and those absurd decisions are ending with the sporting life of good athletes in sports full capacity and with the feelings of many families. He says he will continue training, to demonstrate that they have no reason to stop these injustices to God! I I am more skeptical I think dealing with some of that is it never lift...But those who did this to know that which shines with its own light, nobody can turn it, and I hope to rectify. live Cuban sport and its sports glories, Viva the Cuban boxing! " - Jorge Luis Marcos Moracen.

If Roniel Iglesias didn't think about defecting then, he probably is now... Dude is nice too.

Originally posted by Art-illery View Post
    I'm surprised that no info has been posted about the Cuban WSB boxing team fighting an exhibition fight with the Mexican Guerreros tonight. But here's the story:

Here's what Roniel's father had to say about the situation (his father's Facebook page):

I want to inform the world and fans of Roniel Iglesias and boxing amateur once again committed an injustice with a Cuban athlete world and Olympic champion and an impeccable track record (over 16 years in the national team), with more than 50 international medals in different tournaments... The athlete, who is considered one of the best athletes the world amateurs... Roniel Iglesias Sotolongo (repeat) 64 kg Olympic champion 2012.

"Friends of sport, my son is not in Mexico participating in the world series, because they sanctioned two years out of the national team..." on suspicion that they could leave the country "... and I can assure you that that is totally false, if my son wanted to leave the country, I, who have been responsible for their education up to the present it would be the first to know, and that I have a legal residence in (Venezuela), reason that would allow me, if it is necessary to make legal proceedings to make travel and I can assure you that you don't need or that they are our plans, however, my son was excited to try their level in this world series (semi-professional) and in my presence refused, promoters of several juicy offers, with much respect to ellos.mas nothing!

Even when the "third-party", little informed decisions will continue destroying the lives of athletes who have given life to the Cuban sport!!!! Family and supporters are very annoying so unfair decision and hope that sport and Government direction rectified for the ample reason to err is wise and those absurd decisions are ending with the sporting life of good athletes in sports full capacity and with the feelings of many families. He says he will continue training, to demonstrate that they have no reason to stop these injustices to God! I I am more skeptical I think dealing with some of that is it never lift...But those who did this to know that which shines with its own light, nobody can turn it, and I hope to rectify. live Cuban sport and its sports glories, Viva the Cuban boxing! " - Jorge Luis Marcos Moracen.

If Roniel Iglesias didn't think about defecting then, he probably is now... Dude is nice too.
    Hahaha that's what I'm thinking.
    Here comes another one

Comment

So they assumed he would defect cause his father would be in attendance? I'd say that's fked up but the Cuban govt IS fked up all around. Lol

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
        So they assumed he would defect cause his father would be in attendance? I'd say that's fked up but the Cuban govt IS fked up all around. Lol

Exactly... Dude probably got a boat waitin for him now! If he does defect (which I would do if I were him), he better stay away from Top Rank! They're not too nice to Cuban boxers over there!

Comment

Originally posted by Art-illery
          Quote:

Originally Posted by .:: JSFD26 ::.

Exactly... Dude probably got a boat waitin for him now! If he does defect (which I would do if I were him), he better stay away from Top Rank! They're not too nice to Cuban boxers over there!
          Neither is GB lol. So who do you go with? K2? They seem to be putting on shows now in the US with GGG and them.

One of these Cubans should try Zanfer and START their career in Mexico.

Comment

Neither is GB lol. So who do you go with? K2? They seem to be putting on shows now in the US with GGG and them.

One of these Cubans should try Zanfer and START their career in Mexico.

That's a good idea... Roniel is 25, so he's in his prime years.

Comment

Feel really bad for Cuban boxers, they have some of the best talent and they get screwed the most.

Comment

Originally posted by torosboxing75
                Feel really bad for Cuban boxers, they have some of the best talent and they get screwed the most.
                By the govt and the promoters... Lol. Sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Art-illery View Post
                  That's exactly what I was going to say. And I don't care what Roniel's dad says, the most likely reason the Cuban authorities would prevent Iglesias from competing is suspicion of defection.

Comment

Man, I can't wait for change to come in Cuba. Those animals in power destroyed the trajectory of Cuban history. Iglesias is just one example of the many injustices perpetrated on our people. I wish Roniel the best. I hope him and Robeisy Ramirez leave the island on the same boat. lol

Comment

Working...
                    X