would you call ismeal laguna a great lw

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• would you call ismeal laguna a great lw

What are your thoughts?

I wouldn't call him a great but that's just working off my own application of the word.

Quite a fan of Laguna, he had a style that I like to watch, one of the better boxers during his time in the weight class and if there was a list of the top 30 lightweights I'm guessing he'd be on there somewhere.

Comment

I think he was a top quality lightweight, not a viable candidate for any top 10 lightweights list but I agree with joeandthebums that somewhere in the top 30 would be reasonable.

Comment

A great boxer born who fought in an tough era, top 30 definitely if that counts as great, his wins over a peak Ortiz and a returning Saldivar (Assumed robbery, lack of footage) are nothing too shrug at.
        Last edited by NChristo; 03-31-2015, 03:42 PM.

Comment

I don't know enough about him to make that conclusion.

Comment

Beating my man ortiz makes him a great fighter,, like others said not a top 10 guy, but I don't think its because of lack of talent and skill, but rather the lightweight division is so deep historically that it's nearly impossible for a guy like Laguna to crack top 10..

I think you would most def have to rate him higher than shane mosely who many consider the greatest lightweight of the past 20 years

Comment

I'd say just short of it by my application.

Duran / Laguna would have been interesting but the two countrymen never fought.

Comment

Originally posted by JimEarl View Post
                I'd say just short of it by my application.

Duran / Laguna would have been interesting but the two countrymen never fought.
                Laguna was retired about the same time as Duran was rising. His last fight was in 1971 and Duran won the lightweight title in 1972. But a prime Laguna would be a solid test for any lightweight with his great speed and reliable chin.

Comment

I dont know but his name sounds like a great exotic appetizer..

Comment

He was a pretty good champion but not great

Comment

Working...
                    X