Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Many Spots Up The ATG Would Wins over Cotto and Tony Have Moved Floyd?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
    Here's another fact: The winner of the battle between two "fantastic" fighters fought that washed up Shane and got destroyed.
    And one of those "fantastic" fighters beat a better version of Mosley 2 years earlier.

We can do this all day, I know squeezing the life out of a discussion is your thing but it's not mine.

You think Mosley '09 is the equivalent of Cotto/Margarito 07-08. I absolutely don't.

Comment

Originally posted by shade darkar View Post
      in my opinion, beating cotto in 2008, right after floyd beat hatton and cotto beat mosley would have been his best win. i understand floyd doesnt like arum, but its a poor excuse at the end of the day.

a margarito fight would have been huge in 08 also, right after tony beat cotto. but again it didnt happen. but floyd was too busy being "retired"

he could have fought pacman aswell but didnt.

its the same old story. at the end of the day its his legacy and he can do what he wants. but his resume could have been so much better.
      what was cotto's excuse for not pressing for a floyd fight? what was arum's excuse? i see a lot of finger pointing at floyd but you rarely hear cotto being blamed for ducking floyd at 140 or not pushing for a fight at 147.

Comment

Originally posted by Garcia's Dad View Post
        Some more facts - this great, beastly '09 version of Mosley got beat by Cotto a couple of years earlier, laboured badly against Ricardo Mayorga and then struck it lucky against a Margarito who was on the precipice of a sh-t storm. And then looked frighteningly bad from Round 1 onwards versus Floyd.

You think '09 Mosley was the equivalent of Cotto/Margarito, go right ahead. I know where I stand, and I'm comfortable with that.
        Now Mosley was lucky against Margarito

Mosley lost a close fight to Cotto, destroyed Margarito
        Margarito got beat the fcuk DOWN by Mosley, Margarito beat Cotto
        Cotto got beaten into submission by Margarito, beat Mosley in a close bout

Which fighter came out better?

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
          I've seen people mention the Cotto loss as a negative for Mosley. That was a SUPER close, highly competitive fight that some lobbied as a FOTY contender. It's like people who say Pac did something wrong fighting Clottey...even if they had him beating Cotto. Huh?

Rarely does anyone try to make out like Mosley was a beast in the ring with Floyd (he was clearly awful in the ring that night for reasons other than just Floyd; his stamina and motor skills were awful). No one sane says Mosley was at peak, like 2000 style. But, after Pac, at Welter, he was the next most meritorious fight off Margarito.

It was absolutely the fight he should have taken if Pac wasn't coming off.
          You're preaching to the converted. I have no problem with Floyd taking that fight - it was the one we wanted and we all got. It was a good win.

The "discussion" I've been having with Imdazed is about whether beating Mosley in '09 was as good as win as Floyd beating Cotto or Margarito during his retirement period. I don't think so at all, for all the reasons I've mentioned.

Comment

And one of those "fantastic" fighters beat a better version of Mosley 2 years earlier.

We can do this all day, I know squeezing the life out of a discussion is your thing but it's not mine.

You think Mosley '09 is the equivalent of Cotto/Margarito 07-08. I absolutely don't.
            Well then you better run along before I squeeze some more life out of the person I'm debating with. Regardless of any imaginary scenarios you want to conjure up, Mayweather took on the consensus biggest risk available, a man highly ranked pound for pound by nearly everyone. And won. End of story.

Comment

Originally posted by jaestix1 View Post
              what was cotto's excuse for not pressing for a floyd fight? what was arum's excuse? i see a lot of finger pointing at floyd but you rarely hear cotto being blamed for ducking floyd at 140 or not pushing for a fight at 147.
              Floyd turned down some fights for inferiors when he was with Arum; Cotto wasn't one. That said, it's worth remembering that he wasn't in the position then that he's been in since 2007 where he literally can call ANY shot. Since he has, his opponent choice overall has been solid short of the Pac fight. His overall opponent run since 2006 has been pretty solid.

Floyd's career low point, comp wise, was 2003-05. He deserved flak for a lot of that. It's still a cloud that follows him in sorts of over-inflated ways.

Comment

You're preaching to the converted. I have no problem with Floyd taking that fight - it was the one we wanted and we all got. It was a good win.

The "discussion" I've been having with Imdazed is about whether beating Mosley in '09 was as good as win as Floyd beating Cotto or Margarito during his retirement period. I don't think so at all, for all the reasons I've mentioned.
                Whether you feel like it is or isn't as good doesn't take away from the fact that it is still an excellent win on his dossier.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
                  Floyd turned down some fights for inferiors when he was with Arum; Cotto wasn't one. That said, it's worth remembering that he wasn't in the position then that he's been in since 2007 where he literally can call ANY shot. Since he has, his opponent choice overall has been solid short of the Pac fight. His overall opponent run since 2006 has been pretty solid.

Floyd's career low point, comp wise, was 2003-05. He deserved flak for a lot of that. It's still a cloud that follows him in sorts of over-inflated ways.
                  Agree again. Mayweather's run since his return has been impressive. And somewhat surprising given what he did following the Castillo bouts. And the biggest surprise was him taking on Mosley at a time when no one thought he would and no one else really wanted to.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenAssassin View Post

What do you mean, which fighter came out better? One of them got a more conclusive win than the other means....what, pertaining to this discussion?

The discussion is whether '09 Mosley was better than 07/08 Cotto/Margs.

If you think he is, than that's on you.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoldenAssassin View Post

I'm still lost as to how 2009 Mosley wasn't as good as Margarito when he destroyed that Margarito in 2009.

Comment

Working...
                      X