Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Rigo sell out Arenas in Miami area?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well obviously someone must think Rigo can sell in Miami, because that's exactly where he's fighting next. According to the Miami newspaper "El Nuevo Herald," there will be at least a couple of other Cuban boxers on the undercard.

For those that read Spanish: http://www.elnuevoherald.com/2013/09...i-en-cita.html

Comment

Originally posted by RL_GMA View Post
      Anyone here actually from South FL?

I'm near Miami and I can tell you the Cubans don't show up like that. I saw Both Gamboa and Rigo fight on ESPN at Nova Southeast University and a 5 year old could count how many people were there. It's like Baseball. They build that brand new , beautiful park thinking the Cubans being in the heart of Little Havana (where Marlins Stadium pretty much sits) would come out in packs, and we have the lowest attendance in Baseball

Contrary to what people may think (and I'm half Cuban myself), they don't support their fighters like the Puerto Ricans do and even for someone with the popularity Gamboa had a few years ago, they still didn't give a ****.
      I lived in Miami a few years ago. The reason, you have to consider the fact that these Cuban fighters are relatively unknown because, yeah, promoters are just about blacklisting these guys. Gamboa surely hurt the little stock he had in the boxing world with the biogenesis deal.

I'm not saying it will just sell out because they're Cuban... but the promoters need to step up and be willing to invest in pushing the fight to the public and GBP and TR don't seem to want to do that. I'd rather they let these guys out of their contracts or do some sort of buyout so they could sign with IMP, DKP, or the Dibella's and Shaw's.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
        Well obviously someone must think Rigo can sell in Miami, because that's exactly where he's fighting next. According to the Miami newspaper "El Nuevo Herald," there will be at least a couple of other Cuban boxers on the undercard.

For those that read Spanish: http://www.elnuevoherald.com/2013/09...i-en-cita.html
        Yesssssssssss! Great news, thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by RL_GMA View Post
          Anyone here actually from South FL?

I'm near Miami and I can tell you the Cubans don't show up like that. I saw Both Gamboa and Rigo fight on ESPN at Nova Southeast University and a 5 year old could count how many people were there. It's like Baseball. They build that brand new , beautiful park thinking the Cubans being in the heart of Little Havana (where Marlins Stadium pretty much sits) would come out in packs, and we have the lowest attendance in Baseball

Contrary to what people may think (and I'm half Cuban myself), they don't support their fighters like the Puerto Ricans do and even for someone with the popularity Gamboa had a few years ago, they still didn't give a ****.
          I have no idea why they spent money on that park. The Marlins weren't selling out even when they won titles. There are fewer than one million Cubans in the entire state of Florida, and much less in the Miami area. I doubt they were counting on the relatively few Cuban baseball fans in south Florida.

Mexicans and Puerto Ricans have had the opportunity to develop a culture for pro boxing over the course of several decades. It didn't happen overnight. If there's ever that kind of following amongst Cubans, it's going to take some time. The influx of professional Cuban fighters has barely begun. You can't expect Cubans to come rushing behind their fighters from one day to the next.

Comment

Originally posted by deejd View Post
            Yesssssssssss! Great news, thanks for sharing!
            Glad to.

I'll be heading down to Miami for that card. A few other guys from this site will be as well. Maybe you can join us.

Comment

Couldn't disagree more. South Florida will show up for boxing events, and unless you've actually lived in Miami, you wouldn't know that it's pretty much an extension of Cuba. Good luck if you don't know Spanish out there.
              i've been to miami. i didn't live there, but i've been more than once.

no hablo mucho, pero entiendo un poco. como un nino.

the biggest cuban draw of all time in florida is joel casamayor. most of his big fights were on the west coast.

do the people who think rigondeaux could become some big star think arum would have a problem with that if it were true?

bob arum is smarter than anybody you've ever been around extensively. he is very good at what he does. he has a much better grasp on the process by which one would turn rigondeaux into a star in miami.

believe me, dude. if arum could make this guy a big star he would. you're talking about a casual fanbase. miami based cubans are not a boxing crowd. if they were it would be easy to put fights there.

some of you guys really don't think clearly when it comes to your countrymen. you're talking about attracting casual fans. you think it's more reasonable to assume that arum has a vendetta against rigondeaux than it is to assume that he cannot turn the guy into a draw?

the guy is 122 lbs soaking wet
              31 years old
              speaks no english
              and has a style that will have casual fans booing in three rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                If Arum actually got of his ass and promoted I bet Rigo could sell down there. But Bob wants it to be easy and to not have to put in too much money

fixed it for you. i am not saying that you don't get it, but the cubans clearly do not.

Comment

Definitely could sell out in Miami... Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood, FL as well.
                  No he couldn't....

Miami fans are the worst. They don't sell anything out, even Heat games go without selling out. The Marlins are played in empty stadiums and that was after they got a brand new one.

I think Rigo is a great fighter, but to some extent he is a hard sell with his style.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                    ...the biggest cuban draw of all time in florida is joel casamayor. most of his big fights were on the west coast.
                    Casamayor was a lone Cuban defector. It's unreasonable to expect a guy like Joel, a fighter in a lower weight class, to marshal large crowds of Cubans.

do the people who think rigondeaux could become some big star think arum would have a problem with that if it were true?

bob arum is smarter than anybody you've ever been around extensively. he is very good at what he does. he has a much better grasp on the process by which one would turn rigondeaux into a star in miami.

believe me, dude. if arum could make this guy a big star he would. you're talking about a casual fanbase. miami based cubans are not a boxing crowd. if they were it would be easy to put fights there.
                    You've repeated this obvious point many times. I'll speak for myself: I don't believe Rigo can be a big star...never did. I consider Arum a smart, educated man with tremendous experience in promoting and an implied interest in making money. Now, tell me, if Bob doesn't think money can be made off Rigo in Miami, why is he finally staging a card there?

...some of you guys really don't think clearly when it comes to your countrymen...
                    Judging from his avi, the gentleman you directed your comments at isn't likely to be Cuban.

fixed it for you. i am not saying that you don't get it, but the cubans clearly do not.
                    Oh, I get it...and so do many of my compatriots. Some of them are simply letting their emotions cloud their reason. It's been known to happen in the course of human affairs.

Comment

Sure, he can sell out bingo halls with a capacity of 150.

Rigo isn't Arguello. People wouldn't go see him fight for free in Miami.

Comment

Working...
                      X