No announcement yet.

Mental breakdown during sparring

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
    Simply put, **** happens. The ones who become fighters are the ones who will show up the next day looking to do it all over again with that same guy. You've gone over the events in the ring, now do something with that experience. There must be 2 or 3 things, atleast, that you know could go differently. See it in your mind a million times over, you doing the right things, and then go execute the visions in the ring. Nobody ever told you that this would be easy, but I can tell you from experience that it is worth it.

Welcome to boxing.......
    That did happen with me and I totally out boxed the guy because I had a better idea of how he fights but it was politics that held me back so now I just try and make sure I have swoll biceps.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
      Needless to say I got a good thrashing and felt humiliated.

I hadn't sparred since September of last year (due to leaving my former coach's gym) but had kept in good shape and pretty much was training myself. I finally joined a new gym and after going there for a bit I was gonna do some sparring. Honestly, I felt so nervous I almost talked myself out of it and I don't know why but I just didn't feel confident until I said "fuck it, I'll probably get my ass kicked but it will help get the ring rust off." So the coach set me up with this kid who's pretty good and is going pro soon and we agreed to go "light" due to me not having sparred in a while and him weighing about 20 pounds more and having a height and reach advantage.
      The first round went decent although not much was thrown until about the closing minute. Then in the second round at some point it turned into a sparring war and I just remember fighting off of instinct and disregarded technique, defense and even my breathing. It felt like chaos and the last thing I remember I was against the ropes taking flush shots while people were telling him to calm down and go easy. I couldn't even finish the round and there was about 15 seconds left and I felt embarrassed. I don't know what went wrong but I couldn't react, couldn't circle out, jab, and couldn't even keep my hands up I just froze. A few of the guys went up to me and told me to keep my head up that it happens and even the sparring opponent went up to me as he clearly felt bad and said he went hard because he could feel my aggression and thought I started hitting him to hard.
      Anyhow, today I feel fine, not even a headache or a mark and already did my roadwork and I'm going back to the gym tonight to train and possibly do some sparring again. So it leads me to believe that it was more of a mental collapse then anything physically. I've sparred better opponents and been in worse wars and I've never just frozen up like that. On one hand I felt good as it humbled me and got the rust off and is motivating me to get back in there ASAP. And on the other hand I felt the other guy was a jerk for not holding back against a smaller and rustier opponent and this could have been avoided. Regardless, it really goes to show you just how important the mental component in boxing is. It happens I guess, sorry about the long rant just wondering if this has happened to anybody or if anybody has an idea what could have went wrong.

tl:dr version:

I hadn't sparred in a long time. Finally got back in and sparred, got whooped and mentally fell apart. Anybody experience this?
      Yeah, don't worry about it. It'll take a few sparring sessions before sparring will feel more like sparring and less like war. Really make an effort to think about about what you want to achieve before you spar and practice those techniques. And think of it this way: what happened to you was the absolute best case scenario in terms of sparring partners because if you lost control of your ego against someone less skilled than yourself, you could have hurt someone and felt a lot worse than you do now. The best thing you can do is recognize the situation and how it escalated (which you've done). Keep your head high, you have a fighters spirit.
      Ps. don't let anyone tell you that you arn't going to get far. Only you can judge you, and none ever got anywhere by asking for permission.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant
        Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockin'

Simply put, **** happens. The ones who become fighters are the ones who will show up the next day looking to do it all over again with that same guy. You've gone over the events in the ring, now do something with that experience. There must be 2 or 3 things, atleast, that you know could go differently. See it in your mind a million times over, you doing the right things, and then go execute the visions in the ring. Nobody ever told you that this would be easy, but I can tell you from experience that it is worth it.

Welcome to boxing.......

That did happen with me and I totally out boxed the guy because I had a better idea of how he fights but it was politics that held me back so now I just try and make sure I have swoll biceps.
        You coulda been a contender. Coulda been a somebody.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by Soju View Post

Who are those words directed towards?
          Last edited by Rockin'; 06-20-2014, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Surprised with the positive feedback I've received on this thread, was expecting more comments along the line of "boxing isn't for you, consider taking up golf", ect. Thanks guys, it's definitely encouraging and motivating reading these posts, green k coming to most.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post

Welcome to boxing.......
              Good post rockin'! No macho bull****, just the facts. OP you have the right mindset. Just get back in there and like rockin' said work on those mistakes. Sometimes you will get that guy who goes a bit too hard but you took it well. I got thrashed by a guy taller and 40 lbs heavier than me (I'm 122lbs and just 18) and he was in his late 20s. But when you walk back in the gym the next day coaches recognise that and pay more attention to you. Just keep doing what you're doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin'
                Quote:

Originally Posted by Soju

Who are those words directed towards?
                Spray, I quoted him.

Comment

Working...
                X