Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

These videos prove why Cuba produces the best Boxers in the World.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 537Bwouaye View Post
    People commenting this thread are dumb as fuk. As a matter of fact, Cuba is also the best producer of pro boxers. The proof is right now Cuba only has 50 professional boxers, one of them being an unified champ, two interim champs (who will probably become full champ this year - Rigondeaux and JP Hernandez), and some others to become.

Per pro capita, this makes Cuba the best at pro broxing. Just keep the same ratio and imagine if all of them could be pros. Also, over the last 50 years, this is the moment where Cuba reached the highest amount of pro boxers which, as mentionned before, it's only ~50. A few years back there were only like 15 pro Cubans and most of them were Cuban Americans boxing as a hobby. Compare that to the hundreds of Ricans, the thousands of Mexicans, the thousands of Americans... so yeah right cuba really sucks at pro boxing
    I'm not sure I agree with the first two highlighted statements. I'm not a big fan of the "per capita" tag, for starters. It must also be pointed out that many of the Cuban defectors that have found pro success were amateur standouts and/or Olympic medallists. Naturally, one would expect some measure of triumph from such a crop. If Cubans were allowed to compete freely in the pros, the ratio of competitors to world champions would diminish greatly. I do agree with the last bold statement: before these recent defectors, Cuban-Americans weren't quite so committed to boxing as their island counterparts.

Some might believe that Cubans are only now tasting professional accomplishment. Cuba has a long history of pro glory, which was almost completely derailed by Castro and his communist dictatorship. Cuba had her first world champion before either Mexico or Puerto Rico. Eligio Sardiņas better known as "Kid Chocolate", an ATG, became super featherweight champion in 1932. Alberto "Baby" Arizmendi, a HOFer, became Mexico's first world champion in 1934; and Sixto Escobar became the first Puerto Rican world champion in 1935.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
      I'm not sure I agree with the first two highlighted statements. I'm not a big fan of the "per capita" tag, for starters. It must also be pointed out that many of the Cuban defectors that have found pro success were amateur standouts and/or Olympic medallists. Naturally, one would expect some measure of triumph from such a crop. If Cubans were allowed to compete freely in the pros, the ratio of competitors to world champions would diminish greatly. I do agree with the last bold statement: before these recent defectors, Cuban-Americans weren't quite so committed to boxing as their island counterparts.

Some might believe that Cubans are only now tasting professional accomplishment. Cuba has a long history of pro glory, which was almost completely derailed by Castro and his communist dictatorship. Cuba had her first world champion before either Mexico or Puerto Rico. Eligio Sardiņas better known as "Kid Chocolate", an ATG, became super featherweight champion in 1932. Alberto "Baby" Arizmendi, a HOFer, became Mexico's first world champion in 1934; and Sixto Escobar became the first Puerto Rican world champion in 1935.
      Not at all man, how many gold medalists you know that defected? Not many, right? Most of the defectors were 2nds, 3rds and 4ths in Cuban teams. If they all could defect than you'd have a lot of the elite leaving too, and the ratios would stay about the same. If you look at the most recent waves of defectors you'll see what I mean... only Gamboa, Lara, Solis, Rigo and Barthelemy were elite. The others were not from the top at all and they're actually doing pretty well right now with very few means and promotion. Of course, not all of the elite will be great pros (Barthelemy is an example)... Some lose the appetite for the sport (Solis), etc. But for the majority they are doing pretty well. And then again, you'll have some other non-elites that will manage to be champ. Dudes like Franco and the younger ones from Ireland can achieve great things. The way you talking is like if every Cuban gold medalist defected and only Gamboa and Rigo made it. But fact is that very few of them actually could defect so having one or two champs is extremelly impressive.

To the dude that mentioned the Philippines, what was your point? There is hundreds Philippine pro boxers, I don't think their ratio of champ/active boxers is that great.

Back to CubanGuyNYC, it's not about you being a fan of the ratio or not, it's just the correct way to compare things. How else would you do it? It's the only logic and fair way.
      Last edited by 537Bwouaye; 04-28-2011, 11:50 PM.

Comment

This **** is just sad man. Half these kids don't even want to box. they are so brainwashed too.

Comment

Sad but Thats how the best are forged too bad they dont have the chance to go pro imagine what they could accomplish if they had the freedom to train for that and translate their skills into it but just Leaving Cuba is seen as a treason act. When your a Cuban Athlete, the moment you defflect you know you will never be able to return or see your family again just think how that might affect someone trying to leave and become a pro.

Comment

Working...
          X