Collapse
No announcement yet.

why is hagler rated sooo highly?? :/

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OP, what several of the fam have mentioned is what will shine a light on things here, It's the level of competition he went against.

Don't just look at the record, look at the records of who he fought and destroyed, after he got into title contention, *EVERY* opponent he faced had a stellar record and he went thru them like a hot knife thru butter (all but 2 were KOs). The loss to SRL was one of the most disappointing fights I ever watched, running from him thru the whole fight and hitting him with a bunch of pittypat slapping flurries whenever he got cornered. The world loved the mr nice guy sweet image SRL put out and he got a questionable decision that was so bad it made Hagler retire.

I don't blame him.

Take the time to watch his fights, if it doesn't change your view of his excellence you're just in a state of denial.

Always look at the records of fighters opponents, *AND* the level of talent they faced too. Perfect example is Art Jimmerson, the one glove boxer from the 1st UFC. He was there to represent boxing but built up a record fighting boxers that were 3&10 or 7 & 33. Easy to look good on paper when you're fighting guys that can't fight their way out of a paper bag.

Hagler fought guys that were 25&0 or 38&2, speaks for itself.
    Last edited by club fighter; 09-26-2016, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yngwie View Post
      It's funny how you act like that only because the man doesn't know things about Hagler, he is asking because he wants to know more about him and that all right, there is no problem on wanting to have more knowledge about a fighter, but you know, i think is important to prove how much you know.
      Unless you are posting under a newbie title like I am, you probably do not know how much this subject comes up here. There are threads to read if one thinks Hagler is overrated, and there are great fights to watch. The reason my friend Ray gets a little hard on the edges is because if one looks at Hagler's fights, and guys like Mugabe it becomes pretty obvious he was not overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Beamish View Post
        The OP raises a pretty good question. Why? Because today's critics of Golovkin would evaluate a fighter based on 1) resume/quality of competition, and 2) whether the fighter moved up in weight with successful results.

If these are your only criteria, then Hagler doesn't look as awesome as many, many guys, before and since -- particularly the ones from the lower weight classes who moved up in weight and won championships.

But if you look at dominating your own weight class, fighting everyone including some pretty bad mofos, and looking almost totally invulnerable while doing it -- Hagler was amazing.
        Exactly on that last paragraph and that's why he's rated so highly.

Comment

because he was awesome an all time great middleweight , and denied a title shot for so long as he was so good , then robbed against vito antuofermo he would have had an even longer reign if he was given his shot earlier.

Comment

And he was a warrior. A fighter, in every sense of the word.

Comment

Originally posted by club fighter View Post
              OP, what several of the fam have mentioned is what will shine a light on things here, It's the level of competition he went against.

Don't just look at the record, look at the records of who he fought and destroyed, after he got into title contention, *EVERY* opponent he faced had a stellar record and he went thru them like a hot knife thru butter (all but 2 were KOs). The loss to SRL was one of the most disappointing fights I ever watched, running from him thru the whole fight and hitting him with a bunch of pittypat slapping flurries whenever he got cornered. The world loved the mr nice guy sweet image SRL put out and he got a questionable decision that was so bad it made Hagler retire.

I don't blame him.

Take the time to watch his fights, if it doesn't change your view of his excellence you're just in a state of denial.

Always look at the records of fighters opponents, *AND* the level of talent they faced too. Perfect example is Art Jimmerson, the one glove boxer from the 1st UFC. He was there to represent boxing but built up a record fighting boxers that were 3&10 or 7 & 33. Easy to look good on paper when you're fighting guys that can't fight their way out of a paper bag.

Hagler fought guys that were 25&0 or 38&2, speaks for itself.
              The more I watch the Leonard fight the more I'm convinced that not only was Hagler well past it, he may have been shot. And still won on a lot of cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
                Hagler went through everybody to get the title and fought everybody once he got it. He was ducked for a little bit by Corro, who Hagler would have gone right through. The draw with Antuofermo was a robbery, Hagler clearly won that fight and should have been crowned champ then and there. The referee for that fight said he puked after hearing the decision.

Hagler clearly beat Duran but was nearly robbed by the judges. Duran wasn't even close to beating him and had a couple good rounds towards the end if I remember right. Hagler's problem in that fight was he was weary of Durans power and figured out that Duran wasn't **** at middleweight until too late. If you watch the fight towards the end Hagler nearly knocked Duran out.

There isn't really anything wrong with his resume. He was robbed in his first loss. After that he lost Monroe but went back to knock both of those guys out. He didn't lose again until the Leonard fight and it is clear as rain that Leonard knew Hagler beat him. He ducked him until Hagler retired then came out of retirement.

Hagler had power, speed, chin, could box, could brawl. Pretty much everything you want in a fighter. Only thing wrong was his foot speed but imo it wasn't that bad.

Overall Hagler was probably the most avoided fighter in Middleweight history. GGG has nothing on him in that respect.
                Hagler had a rough path to titles and stardom, he was ducked and not a darling of the american's boxing establishment, but if you think that he had a more difficult path than GGG you're living in fantasyland...

Comment

Originally posted by W. Ledochowski View Post
                  Hagler had a rough path to titles and stardom, he was ducked and not a darling of the american's boxing establishment, but if you think that he had a more difficult path than GGG you're living in fantasyland...
                  Ydksab stay in your lane.

Comment

Overrated as ****.

Comment

Working...
                    X