Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Had the Greater Career? Pacquiao or Chavez, Sr.?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Had the Greater Career? Pacquiao or Chavez, Sr.?

Both men rose up from nothing to become giants of the sport. But who had the better career overall?

Chavez reached an epic 87-0 before his draw with Whitaker. On his way, he captured titles at 130, 135 and 140. He has more title wins than anyone else in boxing history(although they were for alphabet titles, but still in an era where 2 or 3 were recognized). He has wins over Roger Mayweather(twice), Rocky Lockridge, Edwin Rosario, Jose Luis Ramirez, Alberto Cortes, Meldtick Taylor(twice), John Duplessis, Angel Hernandez, Hector Camacho, Greg Haugen, Frankie Randall(twice), Tony Lopez and Joey Gamache.

Pacquiao won titles in eight divisions(in an era with four recognized titles). Still, it's a remarkable feat to move up so high from flyweight. I don't think any other flyweight champion has moved up so high successfully. He holds wins over Lehlo Ledwaba, Jorge Eliecer Julio, Marco Antonio Barrera(twice), Juan Manuel Marquez(twice), Erik Morales(twice), Oscar De La Hoya, Ricky Hatton, Miguel Cotto, Joshua Clottey, Antonio Margarito, Shane Mosley, Timothy Bradley(twice) and Brandon Rios.

Who had the better run?
    Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao
    64.06%
    "El Grande Campeon" Julio Cesar Chavez, Sr.
    35.94%

Chavez sr!

PAC on roids was a beast for a hot minute.

Comment

Chavez.

He fought every style imaginable and did well. Pac was/is good but wasn't the best of his generation..wasn't the best in some of his divisions (such as any division shared wth JMM or Floyd and 154 doesnt even count.)

Hmm..if I were to describe it..Chavez was like a mythical force of nature that will be talked about until the end of boxing as a constant figure in top "p4p" atgs. Pac was a great rollercoaster that we all got to enjoy together. Maybe not the best but damnit was it fun win or lose. My kids will know about chavez..their kids will know about chavez..etc. Pac won't be forgotten but he was the "have to have been around to experience the fun real time" type of guy especially with the JMM ko and Floyd dominant loss just really keeping him from sitting on that throne Floyd will unfortunately be the guy in fantasy fights 20-30 years from now. No one actually cares about the 8 titles. No one will remember the farce of the Marg fight, it'll just be a number and a title..especially with the way the sport will/is evolving with such a nonchalant view on titles. This is the best and easiest era to be a world champion in. Not Pac's fault but it's hard to deny.

Chavez sr was the type that..if you had to summon an ancient warrior (lol getting crazy here) to defend you in a boxing ring from some 130 pound ish alien...You couldnt go wrong with chavez.

Disclaimer... I'm from Culiacan Mx.

Toooooootally not biased.

Comment

Sorry dudes. Duplicate message (F uck you wifi)

Chavez was the better fighter imo too...so that kind of also settles it

Comment

I wonder how well Chavez would have done with Ariza shakes?

I don't really remember Chavez making excuses either. No tight socks, no sudden shoulder injuries, etc, toridol! Etc.

Comment

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
            Chavez.

He fought every style imaginable and did well. Pac was/is good but wasn't the best of his generation..wasn't the best in some of his divisions (such as any division shared wth JMM or Floyd and 154 doesnt even count.)

Hmm..if I were to describe it..Chavez was like a mythical force of nature that will be talked about until the end of boxing as a constant figure in top "p4p" atgs. Pac was a great rollercoaster that we all got to enjoy together. Maybe not the best but damnit was it fun win or lose. My kids will know about chavez..their kids will know about chavez..etc. Pac won't be forgotten but he was the "have to have been around to experience the fun real time" type of guy especially with the JMM ko and Floyd dominant loss just really keeping him from sitting on that throne Floyd will unfortunately be the guy in fantasy fights 20-30 years from now. No one actually cares about the 8 titles. No one will remember the farce of the Marg fight, it'll just be a number and a title..especially with the way the sport will/is evolving with such a nonchalant view on titles. This is the best and easiest era to be a world champion in. Not Pac's fault but it's hard to deny.

Chavez sr was the type that..if you had to summon an ancient warrior (lol getting crazy here) to defend you in a boxing ring from some 130 pound ish alien...You couldnt go wrong with chavez.

Disclaimer... I'm from Culiacan Mx.

Toooooootally not biased.
            I agree. I think Chavez was on another level in his prime. He had an excellent defense when you really watch what he does in there. Great body attack, ability to cut off the ring, head movement, parrying punches, unreal chin, solid power. His legacy will only grow as time passes.

Comment

Pacquiao had a lot more success above 140 and was still elite in his mid to late 30's unlike Chavez.

I think Pacquiao is pretty clearly greater than Chavez.

Comment

Manny pac by far,, it's not even really close

Barrera, morales, jmm,Hatton, Cotto, bradley>>>Rosario, Meldrick, roger, Camacho, rocky

More success over more weight classes with more longevity

Comment

I don't know if Manny wins a H2H but he had the better career.

Comment

Mr. 8 weight classes.

Comment

Working...
                    X