Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chin Debate. Does Knock downs count towards your chin ratings? I think KD'S do.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about Martinez? He goes down off of glancing blows occasionally when he's off balance or tangled like against Macklin. Although he seemed a little hurt in the Chavrz fight after taking heavy blows from a cruiserweight and then fighting through even bigger ones

Comment

Originally posted by Skittlez View Post
      Weak chin:

A fighter with a "bad chin", refers to fighters with limited ability to absorb punishment to the chin. A fighter who is often floored could be said to have a 'suspect' chin.
      I think the key to what you quoted is where it says " fighters ability to take the punch". Getting knocked down can mean a lot of things but in the case of guys like marquez and Tito they have proven they can "take" a punch. In their particular cases the ko's may have even worked to their benefit.

Comment

Being able to recover is also part of having a good "chin".

Look at Marquez.

Comment

Yes knockdowns effect chin rating.

Chin rating DOES NOT equal will/heart.

Don't get them confused, will and heart have some to do with your chin being as good as it, but your will to keep going is something way different than your chin in my perspective.

Comment

People get knocked down for various reasons. Some drop when they're exhausted, some get lazy and walk into perfectly timed shots that would knock anyone out, and some just lack defence or don't know how to roll with punches. I personally don't think chins get "softer". When I first started boxing, I used to walk into a lot of shots while sparring. On top of that, I was unfit as hell, which is what I believe contributed to me being KD'd twice while sparring in the later rounds. After I put some work in - and became able to spar over 3 rounds without opening my mouth to gasp for air - I started taking punches a lot easier. And less frequently haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
              No, because many times getting knocked down means you just were caught off balance and has nothing to do with your ability to take a shot.

Trinidad got knocked down most of the time that way.
              Same as Juan Manuel Marquez. He doesn't get knocked down often but he is prone to knockdowns.

As of recent fighters that I can think of with the most incredible chins, it has to be Shane Mosley and, even more than him, Antonio Margarito. Margarito in 4 of his last 5 fights alone took an entire career's worth of punishment, yet he was only knocked down twice...by Shane Mosley...and Mosley needed more than 8 rounds of haymakers after haymakers to hurt Margarito. That SOB was tough as they come.

Comment

Of course it does

An Iron chin is when someone doesnt even get knocked down...because of their chin resilience...

Getting back up is recovery

Comment

Working...
                X