No announcement yet.

Was Julio Cesar Chavez overrated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Julio Cesar Chavez overrated?

Julio Cesar Chavez was a guy who showed up, won titles at 130, 135, and 140 destroying everyone he fought. But the level of competition he fought wasn't all that strong, and he got gift decisions against Whitaker and Randall. When he quit against De La Hoya, everybody was shocked. But my thinking is that maybe he was a product of media and the fans making him into this superhuman fighter who had no fear, when in reality he was just as human as the guys he fought. I feel that he was lucky to get the stoppage against Taylor, and was certainly beatable if the right guy was in front of him. But I think his march to 100 wins thing was a little exxagerated given the level of competition he did it against. I think Azumah Nelson would've beaten him if they had fought. While I think Chavez was great, I think he was overrated by history as being indestructable.

In his day he was unstoppable. He was relentless and never took a step back. Watch the Camacho fight and that is when Hector was the best (or was)

Comment

he had the one quality all great fighters need, a cast iron chin, if you know you can take whatever the other guy has you can come forward and close the distance whenever you want

Comment

Chavez was an old school fighter, fought often to showcase his skills, just like Duran did.

Asian Sensation - Don't go by boxrec, you have to live in the moment. Mike Tyson once said during his prime, "everybody at Lightweight should retire...Chavez is too dangerous." That was after Chavez made Rosario's face look like he got jumped. If you don't know by now , Whitaker waited for Chavez to get old. Just like Leonard did to fight Hagler. Whitaker was always asked, when are you going to fight Chavez and he would say when the time is right.

People always talk about the Chavez unbeaten streak. I find it funny if it was that easy how come it had not been done? Regardless who your fighting, you need to come in shape and train hard. Chavez loved to fight I can't say the same about any fighter these days.

Comment

Chavez aged sooner than most people think and most people only see CHavez's career when he was on his downhill slope.

Chavez prime was

130lbs - 135lbs - The beginning of his 140lb reign. Believe it or not even when he beat Camacho, and Hernandez he was already on a downhill spiral. He wasnt training the same, his legendary conditioning was quickly deteriorating, he didnt even move around in the ring the same.

In his prime though he laid a beating on the who's who of the 130 (martinez, Mayweather)- 135 (rosario) and ended the career of a very special 140lb fighter by the name of Taylor. If thats being overrated, then yeah he is over rated.
          Last edited by .::|ULTIMATE|::.; 01-24-2005, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Thats true he got world recognition when he was on the way down.

Comment

When Dela Hoya beat Chavez, Chavez was still great but past his prime.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetScience
                Mike Tyson once said during his prime, "everybody at Lightweight should retire...Chavez is too dangerous."
                so what... this sort of stuff was said about tyson, too and other fighters, mosdt of them overrated

If you don't know by now , Whitaker waited for Chavez to get old. Just like Leonard did to fight Hagler. Whitaker was always asked, when are you going to fight Chavez and he would say when the time is right.
                more a case of chavez not wanting the fight at 135, but this argument can go on forever...

People always talk about the Chavez unbeaten streak. I find it funny if it was that easy how come it had not been done?
                bcos who cares if you are fighting bums... actually padding record has become more and more common lately, differnce with today's fighters is chavez had a LONG and padded record (without the padding he would probably have a great 40 wins streak anyway, so hats off)

Regardless who your fighting, you need to come in shape and train hard. Chavez loved to fight I can't say the same about any fighter these days.
                I agree

I think chavez is a great fighter, he is overrated like rocky marciano is overrated (basically no, or just a very very tiny little bit).
                Only difference rocky marciano's die hard, pressclippingbelieving fans are not around.
                (I am not including you in this list, Sweetscience, your posts are always worth reading)

but pea schooled him and not past his prime, no excuses can be made

asian, good point what would have happened if he fought azuma nelson?

Comment

Chavez is a top 50 fighter easily. Overrated? That's funny.

Comment

Originally posted by mute
                    but pea schooled him and not past his prime, no excuses can be made
                    If you cant see that Chavez was not in his prime and out of his prime shape then you clearly dont wanna see the truth. His conditioning and true passion for the sport wasnt there anymore. He was technically sound and thats what got him through the rest of his career post taylor fight. But he wasnt the same person or fighter.

Chavez fought more grueling battles, over longer periods of time, Threw and received more punches, got tagged to body countless more times, even low blowed and on the hip countless times, against heavier hitters and quicker fighters. did you ever see him winded and tired then like u did in that fight against Sweet Pea?

Comment

Working...
                    X