No announcement yet.

Human beings are a type of primate

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fury View Post
    Nobody has said why they think humans are primates.
    What are you talking about? See post #3.

Comment

Nobody has said why they think humans are primates.
      If you could point to evidence suggesting otherwise I'd enjoy reading it.

Comment

Originally posted by deliveryman View Post
        Of course. We are the definition of a primate for crying out loud.

Advanced development of binocular vision? Check
        Specialization of the appendages for grasping? Check
        Enlargement of the cerebral hemisphere? Check
        High levels of social interaction? Check
        Varied locomotion? Check

This is like asking if the sun is a star.
        Most animals have eyes?
        Lots of animals can grasp things?
        Every vertebrate has a brain? Lots of animals can learn tricks?
        Lots of animals are social?
        Humans don't walk on their knuckles and swing from branches of trees?

Comment

Originally posted by A.K.A View Post
          If you could point to evidence suggesting otherwise I'd enjoy reading it.
          Anyone with a minimum amount of biological knowledge knows we are unrelated.

Comment

Anyone with a minimum amount of biological knowledge knows we are unrelated.
            Lol, oh ok. I thought maybe you could provide evidence to the contrary, but you seem content to make ridiculous statements instead. Proceed.

Comment

Most animals have eyes?
              Lots of animals can grasp things?
              Every vertebrate has a brain? Lots of animals can learn tricks?
              Lots of animals are social?
              Humans don't walk on their knuckles and swing from branches of trees?
              I suggest you look up what binocular vision is, because binocular vision isn't defined by simply having eyes, idiot.

There are plenty of animals that don't have binocular vision, but rather monocular vision, such as horses, owls, deer, lizards, fish, etc.

Most animals do not have specialized appendages to grasp things such as hands or talons.

Again, having a brain does equate to having a brain with an enlarged cerebral hemisphere. Which is gives the ability for deception, manipulation, to use symbols, and use tools. Very, very few animals have this capacity.

Most animals do not have advanced social systems such as social hierarchies, monogamous relationships, etc.

While humans typically do not walk on our knuckles or swing from branches, we certainly have the capacity to do so if we wanted.

I challenge you to find an animal that is not already considered a primate that fits all of these criterion.

Comment

I suggest you look up what binocular vision is, because binocular vision isn't defined by simply having eyes, idiot.

There are plenty of animals that don't have binocular vision, but rather monocular vision, such as horses, owls, deer, lizards, fish, etc.

Most animals do not have specialized appendages to grasp things such as hands or talons.

Again, having a brain does equate to having a brain with an enlarged cerebral hemisphere. Which is gives the ability for deception, manipulation, to use symbols, and use tools. Very, very few animals have this capacity.

Most animals do not have advanced social systems such as social hierarchies, monogamous relationships, etc.

While humans typically do not walk on our knuckles or swing from branches, we certainly have the capacity to do so if we wanted.

I challenge you to find an animal that is not already considered a primate that fits all of these criterion.
                You just called me an idiot and don't know what binocular and monocular vision is.

Comment

You just called me an idiot and don't know what binocular and monocular vision is.
                  Wow... let me break this down for you:

Binocular vision = vision input in each eye is used in conjunction with one another.
                  Monocular vision = vision input in each eye is used separately, thus allowing a much wider range of view, which gives prey animals an advantage.

Having two eyes doesn't mean you have binocular vision, I have already pointed out animals that have monocular vision such as horses, deer and most birds.
                  Last edited by deliveryman; 02-02-2013, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Apes:

48 chromosomes
                    quadrupedal
                    brain size = >300ml

Humans:

46 chromosomes
                    bipedal
                    brain size = >1000ml

Animals with advanced social systems such as social hierarchies:

ants
                    bees
                    wasps
                    rats
                    bats
                    birds
                    mice
                    cats
                    dogs
                    wolves
                    horses
                    meerkats
                    lions
                    elephants
                    penguins
                    ect

*Apes do not have monogamous relationships

Animals that use hands to grasp things:

squirrels
                    otters
                    beavers
                    raccoons
                    bears
                    mice
                    rats
                    guinea pigs
                    ect

Comment

Wow... let me break this down for you:

Binocular vision = vision input in each eye is used in conjunction with one another.
                      Monocular vision = vision input in each eye is used separately, thus allowing a much wider range of view, which gives prey animals an advantage.

Having two eyes doesn't mean you have binocular vision, I have already pointed out animals that have monocular vision such as horses, deer and most birds.
                      Prey animals have monocular vision (use both eyes independently)
                      predatory animals have binocular vision (use both eyes together)

This is basic stuff you learn in the first years of school.

Comment

Working...
                      X