Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's the Best Coach in the Game Right Now?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's the Best Coach in the Game Right Now?

Lot to choose from, but I say Robert Garcia. Guy puts in more time with his fighters (which is many now) than any other coach I've seen. Plus he knows his stuff...gets the most of his fighters and from their individual talents.

List of fighters he has trained reads like a role-call of fighters that can't dodge a punch.

I'm going with Nacho Beristáin.

Lopez and Marquez fight and think with fistic perfection

Comment

I would also say Nacho but the current flavour of the month is Virgil Hunter.

Comment

Originally posted by Young Money View Post
        I would also say Nacho but the current flavour of the month is Virgil Hunter.
        Hunter would be my second choice

Comment

I think he has potential. Ward is his masterpiece, but I want to see how he's going to do with Khan and Angulo first.

Comment

Anybody who thinks for one second that Robert Garcia belongs in this conversation then apparently they dont know boxing,boxing is about hitting and not getting hit,thats called skills, besides Nonito that he recently got and was already molded into a skillfull boxer all of his other fighters have no defense what so ever and get hit with every shot thrown at them then throw punches, how hard is that to coach all you have to say is go after them. My pick would have to be Ward's coach,sergio martinez coach,Nacho,maybe even Broners coach....again this is just my opinion about this conversation

Comment

Roger "you don't know **** about boxing" mayweather wouldn't be too happy with all these replies. There's a lot of top trainers out there it's hard to decide Garcia could be top candidate depending on how nonito and rios perform this weekend

Comment

Pernell Whitaker.

Comment

Originally posted by usaboxing142 View Post
                  Anybody who thinks for one second that Robert Garcia belongs in this conversation then apparently they dont know boxing,boxing is about hitting and not getting hit,thats called skills, besides Nonito that he recently got and was already molded into a skillfull boxer all of his other fighters have no defense what so ever and get hit with every shot thrown at them then throw punches, how hard is that to coach all you have to say is go after them. My pick would have to be Ward's coach,sergio martinez coach,Nacho,maybe even Broners coach....again this is just my opinion about this conversation
                  I respect your opinion. But to me, being a coach is a lot about working with the talent you got. Most of Garcia's fighters come to him on the down side of their career. He's almost like a rehab coach trying to get his fighters back into the mix. He doesn't really have the luxury of high end, raw talent fighters (minus Nonito, who you mentioned could be considered an exception). He took Brandon Rios (who had a pretty dismal amateur background) and turned him into a world champion. His brother Mikey Garcia is a world champion and on his way to a big fight, hopefully (I know it could be argued that Mikey's main coach is his father). Kelly Pavlik had pretty much a career and personal meltdown and he was able to get him off the boos, and get him back into the ring and win some fights. And Maidana, coming off of a land-slide loss to Devon Alexander, did a pretty good job (albeit not perfect) of getting back into the win column with his recent TKO over Soto-Karass.

Again, his fighters are far from perfect and could be argued that they lack talent compared to a lot of the blue chip fighters in the game today. But IMO, I think he deserves credit for taking the fighters that many probably would have given up on and getting some good results. But yeah, just my opinion.

Comment

Pedro Diaz impressed the hell out of me. He really has a scientific approach to boxing and even uses modern medical and fitness knowledge. He knew the jab was the shoulder roll's kryptonite and made Cotto use his jab as a power punch at the end of his combinations, genius. I'd vote for him just based on Cotto's performance against Floyd.

Honorable mention to Pablo Sarmiento.

Comment

Working...
                    X