No announcement yet.

Lead left hooks,how do you stop from telegraphing it

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lead left hooks,how do you stop from telegraphing it

Id love to hear of some of you get that pucnh through...me i just try to throw it of rhythm

Originally posted by Larry.X. View Post
    Id love to hear of some of you get that pucnh through...me i just try to throw it of rhythm
    i think you just have to basically fast enough to get away with it or your opponent should be hurt. you're leaving yourself wide open for power shots from the right side.

Comment

i usually throw it off a feint.

for example i like to throw power shots to the solar plexus, if i hurt my oponent i might go back donwnstairs with the jab. after being hurt in the same spot with powershots that jab will do some damage and its so quick they often flinch at the feints. so i bend my legs like im stepping in with a jab to the body but come up with a lead hook to the head instead.

i also love to throw a jab, feint a right and rip a left hook to the body or head. i know its not a lead left hook but its somewhat similar to the move i described and very effective.

another thing i sometimes do is get on my toes and flick the jab. i move my right hand a bit further to the side of my head making me open for a counter jab. i purposely step within range to get hit with a jab as i feint a jab of my own. as they jab i take a sideways backstep to the left and fire a left hook. more of a counter hook than a lead hook but effective regardless. important to not step straight back or you will be vulnerable to a right hand.

Comment

IMO, if you're gonna throw lead left hooks, you should already be on the inside. Throwing it from distance is dangerous. A hook by definition is a short punch.

Comment

A-lAH Floyd.......Throw a feint half a jab and loop it into a hook.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
            IMO, if you're gonna throw lead left hooks, you should already be on the inside. Throwing it from distance is dangerous. A hook by definition is a short punch.
            That's not a lead left hook then. How many times do you hear trainers and broadcast members using the term in a fight between two Mexicans, or in-fighters? The whole point of a lead punch is to shoot from the outside. How many lead straights are thrown inside?

Originally posted by IdNod4u2 View Post
            A-lAH Floyd.......Throw a feint half a jab and loop it into a hook.
            This would be the best way to go. Gatti, Marquez, Hatton... In order to land from the outside, using feints effectively would be the best bet.

Comment

Originally posted by davis828 View Post
              That's not a lead left hook then. How many times do you hear trainers and broadcast members using the term in a fight between two Mexicans, or in-fighters? The whole point of a lead punch is to shoot from the outside. How many lead straights are thrown inside?

This would be the best way to go. Gatti, Marquez, Hatton... In order to land from the outside, using feints effectively would be the best bet.
              Lead straights are distance punches that need full extension. You're comparison is rather incompatible. Way to make no sense. Out of curiosity, if you lean in & throw a hook 1st, wouldn't that be considered (leading) with it??

Comment

Lead straights are distance punches that need full extension. You're comparison is rather incompatible. Way to make no sense. Out of curiosity, if you lean in & throw a hook 1st, wouldn't that be considered (leading) with it??
                Again, if you throw a short right hand on the inside, it's not called a lead right hand, it's a short right hand, the same way when a hook is thrown on the inside, it's a short hook, why? Because you can throw a hook from the outside, maybe even lead with it... I wonder what it's called.

If you lean in, where are you starting from? Right, the outside.

Comment

Well when i think of lead punches i think of fighting at a distance

Comment

Originally posted by Larry.X. View Post
                    Well when i think of lead punches i think of fighting at a distance
                    When anyone who actually knows boxing thinks of a lead punch they think of distance. But, apparently to some [or one], lead punches are thrown when you're already inside. I learn so much on NSB!

Comment

Working...
                    X