The Boxing Bulletin's Updated P4P List

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Boxing Bulletin's Updated P4P List

by The Boxing Bulletin on Dec 3, 2010 in Pound For Pound

Time for a P4P update. These sort of lists are not to be taken too seriously of course, but it's always a bit of fun to rank the best in the world. It's been over three months since we posted our previous rankings, and plenty has happened since then.

Our criteria:

1. Current level of ability
    2. Accomplishments over the last 3 years

Let's get to the rankings...

1. Manny Pacquiao... No change and the top. Pacquiao took care of business in dominating fashion against Antonio Margarito last month, which is easily good enough to keep a firm grasp on our #1 spot.
    2. Floyd Mayweather... Even though Money is taking it easy right now, his spot is secure.
    3. Juan Manuel Marquez... The classy 37 year old came through a tough challenge from Michael Katsidis to win in style last weekend and has his eyes set on Manny Pacquiao. Here's hoping he lands that fight.
    4. Sergio Martinez... He deserves his lofty status after a big year, highlighted by his one punch destruction of Paul Williams.
    5. Timothy Bradley... Bradley doesn't have a signature win yet, but his consistent bettering of top ten opposition has him near the top of our list. He'll need to take care of Devon Alexander in February to hold his spot, and a dominating win could potentially see him jump one or two places.
    6. Carl Froch... Nobody has fought a tougher schedule over the past couple of years than the Cobra. Life doesn't get any easier with Glen Johnson looming sometime early in 2011.
    7. Andre Ward... The Oakland fighter took care of Sakio Bika last weekend, though his tactics have come under some criticism. His overall resume is still a little thin, but holds down a high spot thanks to his win over Mikkel Kessler.
    8. Fernando Montiel... With a whole lot of talent at 118lbs, the Mexican slugger will have a chance to climb even higher. Possibly as soon as early next if a reported showdown with Nonito Donaire (yeah, we aren't holding our breath either on that one) comes off.
    9. Lucian Bute... The Montreal fighter has put together a string of highlight reel KOs, though he still hasn't taken on truly elite opposition. With the Super Six coming to a close, hopefully that will change this coming year.
    10. Juan Manuel Lopez... The heavy hitter came through a stern test against Rafael Marquez last month. Let's hope we don't have to wait too long to see him in against Yuriorkis Gamboa.
    11. Jean Pascal... The current 175lb king defends his title later this month against Bernard Hopkins. It's a tricky match-up, but an impressive win could see the Montreal fighter climb a little higher.
    12. Chad Dawson... The former top man at light-heavy easily has the talent to move back up the rankings.
    13. Wladimir Klitschko... The big man has been dominant, but he'll need to get David Haye in the ring if he's too climb any higher as his overall competition leaves something to be desired.
    14. Nonito Donaire... The potential is there to one day top the list, but the Filipino Flash needs to take on better fighters. Wladimir Sidorenko is definitely a step in the right direction in terms of quality.
    15. Paul Williams... The Punisher tumbled all the way down from #5 after his recent KO loss.
    16. David Haye... The big talking Englishman needs to step up and face either Adamek or one of the Klitschko brothers very soon if he's to keep his spot on our list.
    17. Tomasz Adamek... See the above. Accomplishments at cruiserweight are one thing, but it's time to get something significant done above 200lbs to justify his ranking.
    18. Pongsaklek Wonjongkam... The Thai southpaw has been world class for almost a decade.
    19. Giovanni Segura... A big stoppage victory over former P4P stalwart Ivan Calderon has the Mexican slugger cracking our list for the first time.
    20. Yuriorkis Gamboa... Perhaps it's too soon to list the Cuban speedster, but his talent is undeniable. He probably needs at least one more solid win though to justify his ranking.
    21. Devon Alexander... The St. Louis fighter struggled mightily against Andriy Kotelnik in his last outing, and will need a much better performance if he's too stand a chance against Timothy Bradley in February.
    22. Miguel Cotto... Now fighting at 154lbs, the Peurto Rican fan favorite will need a big win soon if he's too keep his status as a P4P player.
    23. Amir Khan... The lightning quick British junior-welter has the talent to climb considerably and will have a chance to shine next weekend against Marcos Maidana.
    24. Vitali Klitschko... Though closing in on 40, the big man still has it.
    25. Hozumi Hasegawa... The Japanese southpaw just squeaks back into our list after a nice comeback win last weekend.

Alexander ahead of Khan? lol

Alexander's best win in Urango, a good win, but that's all there is to his resume. That and a win over a past-prime Witter the Quitter. He lost his last fight versus Kotelnik!

Khan has wins over Prime Kotelnik and also Malignaggi, both in very impressive fashion.

Alexander has beat 3 former world champs (Corley [past-prime], Witter [past-prime], Urango) and has lost to 1 (Kotelnik).

However Khan's loss to Prescott is a bad one. But still, he's beat 4 world titlists (Gairy St. Clair [past-prime], MAB [past-prime], Prime Kotelnik, and also a good win over Malignaggi).

Khan got KO'd, fair enough, but he's not dodging the biggest puncher in the division, so he's got balls. Alexander's only loss however is arguably worse because he got out-boxed over 12 rounds (8 rounds to 4 in my opinion) and got a home-town decision against Khan's left-overs.

It's also worth noting that Khan took Kotelnik's '0' in title fights, Kotelnik was 3-0-1 (1 KO) in world title fights including a win over Maidana, before Khan shut him out. Considering the difficulties Alexander had vs. Kotelnik, this is a very impressive victory for Khan and ranks higher than any of Alexander's wins.

Khan is better P4P than Alexander.

I also think Tim Bradley is WAY too high on that list.

Comment

Originally posted by £-4-£ View Post

Alexander's best win in Urango, a good win, but that's all there is to his resume. That and a win over a past-prime Witter the Quitter. He lost his last fight versus Kotelnik!

Khan has wins over Prime Kotelnik and also Malignaggi, both in very impressive fashion.

Alexander has beat 3 former world champs (Corley [past-prime], Witter [past-prime], Urango) and has lost to 1 (Kotelnik).

However Khan's loss to Prescott is a bad one. But still, he's beat 4 world titlists (Gairy St. Clair [past-prime], MAB [past-prime], Prime Kotelnik, and also a good win over Malignaggi).

Khan got KO'd, fair enough, but he's not dodging the biggest puncher in the division, so he's got balls. Alexander's only loss however is arguably worse because he got out-boxed over 12 rounds (8 rounds to 4 in my opinion) and got a home-town decision against Khan's left-overs.

It's also worth noting that Khan took Kotelnik's '0' in title fights, Kotelnik was 3-0-1 (1 KO) in world title fights including a win over Maidana, before Khan shut him out. Considering the difficulties Alexander had vs. Kotelnik, this is a very impressive victory for Khan and ranks higher than any of Alexander's wins.

Although these list are nothing more than a p*ss take I looked through and thought the exact same as you on the Khan situation. Also get David Haye the feck out of that list...

Comment

Originally posted by £-4-£ View Post

This is why Amir Khan is not ahead of Alexander, WATCH IT WON'T TAKE LONG.

Comment

amir khan looks good in that fight.

Comment

Originally posted by PAC&PBFsuck View Post
            This is why Amir Khan is not ahead of Alexander, WATCH IT WON'T TAKE LONG.

I don't get it why isn't Khan ahead of Khan?

Comment

Anyways, that list sucks, is garbage...Especially if they follow their own criteria.
              Last edited by jrosales13; 12-03-2010, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
                Anyways, that list sucks, is garbage...Especially if you they follow their own criteria.
                Yeh thats what I was getting at. These list are a waste of time all of the time but at least have a list that correlates with your own criteria lol

Comment

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post

I don't get it why isn't Khan ahead of Khan?
                  He's wondering why khan isn't ahead of Alexander, the only reason he's behind is cause he has been KO'ed. Had Khan lost by a SD, he probably wouldn't drop back that far and would probably be ahead right now.

That's the point I was making, my bad everyone, I thought it was obvious I should've explain myself.

Comment

Originally posted by PAC&PBFsuck View Post
                    He's wondering why khan isn't ahead of Alexander, the only reason he's behind is cause he has been KO'ed. Had Khan lost by a SD, he probably wouldn't drop back that far and would probably be ahead right now.

That's the point I was making, my bad everyone, I thought it was obvious I should've explain myself.
                    The point is idiotic...

Because, just cuz you have been KO'd means you can't rank ahead of an undefeated fighter even though you probably have a better resume than him?

Sounds pretty stupid...

Why not look at how they look against a common opponent in Kotelnik?

Comment

Working...
                    X