No announcement yet.

C-Spine wear and tear

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C-Spine wear and tear

This is not an entirely dissimilar thread to Zarco's "Ache in back" thread as it goes.

I am now 43 and have been training with a personal coach for about 2 years. Considering my age, it's going great, and he reckons I'm not bad.

I spar, either with him or with another of his students, and we take it fairly lightly. It's not touch sparring, it's enough to give a black eye, but not enough to "turn" the head, so to speak. I've taken a few moderate blows to the eye, temple, chin etc. and he reckons from my reaction that potentially I have an ok chin.

Anyway, had an x-ray on my neck the other day because I've always suffered with stiff neck, and they have reported back that I have a little excess wear and tear on the c-spine. I have to go and consult the doctor further about it in 2 weeks.

My question is really, where does this leave me in terms of getting hit harder in the head? If we were to up the power of the sparring?

I'm getting the impression if I say to the doctor "how hard can I get hit in the head" he'll probably tut at me. Doctors don't really like boxing. So I'm not sure I'll get a straight answer out of him.

I'm pretty gutted actually, does this mean for example that I could never go in for a white collar fight?

Do any of you have the same problem? Any of you got any useful comments or advice?

For the record, I use an attempted Winky Wright style earmuff guard with my chin tucked right down. I made this decision of style based on my age, as well as having fairly strong forearms. I figure at my age, I can't really employ a "cute" style, I have to really go for defense first.

We have discussed gradually upping the power, but this neck problem of mine has always made me hesitant. He is quite happy for me to stay at the power we're at currently if I want, there's no pressure. But the question arises with all of us - how am I going to take a heavy punch? What effect would this effective mild whiplash have on these vertebrae compared to someone who hasn't got this condition?

Originally posted by Locche View Post
    This is not an entirely dissimilar thread to Zarco's "Ache in back" thread as it goes.

I am now 43 and have been training with a personal coach for about 2 years. Considering my age, it's going great, and he reckons I'm not bad.

I spar, either with him or with another of his students, and we take it fairly lightly. It's not touch sparring, it's enough to give a black eye, but not enough to "turn" the head, so to speak. I've taken a few moderate blows to the eye, temple, chin etc. and he reckons from my reaction that potentially I have an ok chin.

Anyway, had an x-ray on my neck the other day because I've always suffered with stiff neck, and they have reported back that I have a little excess wear and tear on the c-spine. I have to go and consult the doctor further about it in 2 weeks.

My question is really, where does this leave me in terms of getting hit harder in the head? If we were to up the power of the sparring?

I'm getting the impression if I say to the doctor "how hard can I get hit in the head" he'll probably tut at me. Doctors don't really like boxing. So I'm not sure I'll get a straight answer out of him.

I'm pretty gutted actually, does this mean for example that I could never go in for a white collar fight?

Do any of you have the same problem? Any of you got any useful comments or advice?

For the record, I use an attempted Winky Wright style earmuff guard with my chin tucked right down. I made this decision of style based on my age, as well as having fairly strong forearms. I figure at my age, I can't really employ a "cute" style, I have to really go for defense first.

We have discussed gradually upping the power, but this neck problem of mine has always made me hesitant. He is quite happy for me to stay at the power we're at currently if I want, there's no pressure. But the question arises with all of us - how am I going to take a heavy punch? What effect would this effective mild whiplash have on these vertebrae compared to someone who hasn't got this condition?
    It's from getting your head snapped straight back. The pain is right between your shoulder blades, am I correct. If this is the case than you'll just have to deal with the injury and build that neck strong if you want continue.

That's what you get with low knowledge gyms, the neck should have been prepared before letting you in the ring to swap some blows.

I sparred my first night ever in a gym and just about every night there after.

I deal with it daily, that pain, all though the injury is set far back in my mind to where it doesn't affect me. But I can feel it.

For being 43 and getting in there to throw some fists I take my hat off to you. Boxing is the toughest sport that you can ever do. Lumps, bumps and pain are just part of the sport. Some of those things become a part of your life, even after it's all said and done. You chose boxing over golf and that takes real balls, no matter your age yet especially at your age.

If you walk the way of the warrior there will be unforeseen prices to pay.

Welcome to the world of boxing.
    Last edited by Rockin'; 06-06-2014, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Ah, not quite, my friend. I'll explain further :

I've now been training two years, and I am lucky enough to be friends with an ex pro, who now does training one-on-one. When I spar it's always with him (although I sparred with a beginner pupil of his last week), and he's very good at controlling his shots. I have taken a few semi-heavy blows to the head, but haven't had my neck snapped back or sideways as of yet (well maybe a little bit but nothing that troubled me at all). Might I add, I've clocked him a few times, and him being an ex pro, he's vey hard to hit. The strength we spar at is black eye or bruised rib strength, but not head snapping strength. He's a very responsible dude.

This neck problem I've had, I've actually had for years and only just got round to having it x-rayed the other day, having always been convinced it was a muscular problem, so it has nothing to do with the boxing. I almost wish it was due to receiving a punch, because then I could just rest it and start again. But unfortunately this turns out ot be wear and tear (from what, I don't know).

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
      For being 43 and getting in there to throw some fists I take my hat off to you. Boxing is the toughest sport that you can ever do. Lumps, bumps and pain are just part of the sport. Some of those things become a part of your life, even after it's all said and done. You chose boxing over golf and that takes real balls, no matter your age yet especially at your age.
      Thank you, man. I'll take that! Even though I'm not sparring with random other guys down the gym yet, I am quite pleased with my progress at my age, I can spar a few rounds with my trainer (I've done 9 before in one session), I have good technique, and, he reckons I potentially have a good chin (neck trouble aside), judging from my lack of reaction when hit firmly, good power, and good balance (i really wish I'd started this when I was 17).

Starting boxing training has really given me a new lease of life, and a passion.

I guess my question currently is can I ever end up at the stage you talk about, where the sparring starts increasing in power, and one potentially has one's head snapped back or to the side. How is someone with wear and tear on the c-spine going to take that compared with someone who has not? And obviously if you ask the doctor "how hard can I get hit in the head" you will probably not receive a favourable answer.

Sorry about the long post, but I hope that clears a few things up.

Oh just another thing, the ironic thing is, after training, and sometimes after receiving a few "firm" (but not heavy) blows, my neck actually feels better for a few hours. I'm guessing this is because of chemicals, or warming up etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Locche View Post
        Ah, not quite, my friend. I'll explain further :

I've now been training two years, and I am lucky enough to be friends with an ex pro, who now does training one-on-one. When I spar it's always with him (although I sparred with a beginner pupil of his last week), and he's very good at controlling his shots. I have taken a few semi-heavy blows to the head, but haven't had my neck snapped back or sideways as of yet (well maybe a little bit but nothing that troubled me at all). Might I add, I've clocked him a few times, and him being an ex pro, he's vey hard to hit. The strength we spar at is black eye or bruised rib strength, but not head snapping strength. He's a very responsible dude.

This neck problem I've had, I've actually had for years and only just got round to having it x-rayed the other day, having always been convinced it was a muscular problem, so it has nothing to do with the boxing. I almost wish it was due to receiving a punch, because then I could just rest it and start again. But unfortunately this turns out ot be wear and tear (from what, I don't know).

Thank you, man. I'll take that! Even though I'm not sparring with random other guys down the gym yet, I am quite pleased with my progress at my age, I can spar a few rounds with my trainer (I've done 9 before in one session), I have good technique, and, he reckons I potentially have a good chin (neck trouble aside), judging from my lack of reaction when hit firmly, good power, and good balance (i really wish I'd started this when I was 17).

Starting boxing training has really given me a new lease of life, and a passion.

I guess my question currently is can I ever end up at the stage you talk about, where the sparring starts increasing in power, and one potentially has one's head snapped back or to the side. How is someone with wear and tear on the c-spine going to take that compared with someone who has not? And obviously if you ask the doctor "how hard can I get hit in the head" you will probably not receive a favourable answer.

Sorry about the long post, but I hope that clears a few things up.

Oh just another thing, the ironic thing is, after training, and sometimes after receiving a few "firm" (but not heavy) blows, my neck actually feels better for a few hours. I'm guessing this is because of chemicals, or warming up etc.
        Adrenaline is masking the pain for you at those times. God do I miss the adrenaline flowing through my blood.

And good for you man, for getting in there and doing it. Every man will tell you that they could do it too if they wanted to, but we know that 98% of the time it's just **** talk, very much like Anorak.

You are learning and pushing yourself each day, I know it's not easy. But once you start to grasp the concepts and then begin to slowly master these concepts you will find that it's all worth it.

It's a lot better to know that you could defend yourself with your hands if you had to. In most cases, at least for Anorak, a keyboard will not be available to make offensive comments towards people or your attacker.

Keep on keepin' on young soldier, it only gets better from here.

Comment

Working...
        X