Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are people saying DSG is ducking 147 fighters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, there is a few reasons..

1. Dude ran from a floyd fight after beating lucas-- now he says he wants to fight anyone, yet the idiot rejected the fame and fortune of a floyd fight.. Losing to floyd didn't hurt canelo at all,

2. Dude wouldn't commit to 147 for over a year,, how many catchweight 144 fights did danny have?

3. Dude has yet to fight a top caliber welter, even though Haymon has a loaded stable of welters

4. If danny isn't ducking, he should have no problem fighting the winner of thurman/Porter by the end of the year

It's basically put up or shut up for danny..mthe guy has literally wasted all momentum he had coming off the wins over khan and lucas a few years ago

Comment

Originally posted by Zaryu View Post
      But he hasn't had any gifts, just the benefit of the doubt in close fights. I think it's fair for people to think he has lost some fights, but I think it's unfair to say he's getting gifts, because he's never been outscored cleanly. There's always a justified argument to see the fights go his way.

What his dad said is what most people are doing, not going to start calling out by names, and I don't agree with it. But at least Danny has earned what he has now by fighting as an underdog and coming through a few times. Danny and Canelo have fought their way to credibility with their opposition, but I don't think either one is at a stage to be looking for soft touches just to extend their reigns as titlists. They should be fighting the best opposition available, and now that Danny has a title, no excuses should be afforded to him.

On a side note, I think that when fighters are in their mid 30's, have a good resume and are looking to get out within the next few years, they deserve to pick and choose their fights more carefully than 20 year old's building up their resume.
      First emboldened: No it's not unfair at all; Herrera clearly beat Danny. Clearly. That was a gift. Hence, Danny "Gift" Garcia.

Second emboldened: Danny's name should not be mentioned alongside Canelo's. There is no competitive equivalence there. Canelo won a couple of close decisions, but nothing like the The Gift and against much more dangerous opposition to boot.

Finally, I don't know If there is an age number I'd put on it but yeah; guys like B-Hop, Marquez, Pacman, Cotto at this point and sure I've missed some names. Warriors nearing the end of a long and distinguished career, that have taken the risky fights, yeah, they can fight pretty much who they want and I'm gonna' watch.

Danny Garcia ain't that guy and at the rate he's going, he'll never be. He has 2 really good wins (Khan, Matthysse), but they are getting further and further into his rearview mirror.

Comment

He really hasn't duck anybody at 147 , The WBC made a plan for him let see if he fights those guys the WBC want

So going by the WBC you have

vs Khan next
        vs ther winner of Peterson/Vasquez Jr*

I see Peterson beating Berto , Vasquez beating Cosio

Comment

Because they're gay. He just came up 2 fights ago. Some fans hold other fighters to higher standards than their own favorites. Like DSG moved up in weight, he fought some of the best JWW's, Matthysse, Khan, Peterson, Herrera. Now they want him to fight the best WW's right away. But they don't want their favorite fighters to even move up.

Comment

Originally posted by lefthook2daliva View Post
            First emboldened: No it's not unfair at all; Herrera clearly beat Danny. Clearly. That was a gift. Hence, Danny "Gift" Garcia.

Second emboldened: Danny's name should not be mentioned alongside Canelo's. There is no competitive equivalence there. Canelo won a couple of close decisions, but nothing like the The Gift and against much more dangerous opposition to boot.

Finally, I don't know If there is an age number I'd put on it but yeah; guys like B-Hop, Marquez, Pacman, Cotto at this point and sure I've missed some names. Warriors nearing the end of a long and distinguished career, that have taken the risky fights, yeah, they can fight pretty much who they want and I'm gonna' watch.

Danny Garcia ain't that guy and at the rate he's going, he'll never be. He has 2 really good wins (Khan, Matthysse), but they are getting further and further into his rearview mirror.
            Calling the Herrera fight a gift for Danny is completely unfair. It was a close fight and not a clear win for Herrera. We can agree to disagree on this one.

The only reason I bring Canelo up is not because of any close decisions, but because he has faced fighters who a lot of people thought he wouldn't face because of the risk they posed. Garcia went is as an underdog against Khan and, I think, Matthysse as well. They've actually paid their dues for now. However, they've both had some exhibition fights(Salka, Paulie, Josesito Lopez, Kirkland, Angulo, etc), with Garcia being the worst offender of the two. They've both flirted with the idea of fighting softer touches instead of facing the best opposition in their weight classes e.g. Garcia needs to fight Thurman-Porter winner, Brook, or another top welterweight. While Canelo needs to fight GGG or another top middleweight or jr. middleweight.

My point in comparing them was that they're both two young fighters with some of the best resumes in the game, but with some exhibition fights mixed in. They're still young enough to build solid overall resumes or tarnish their reputation in spite of all the good work they've done.

There are some, silently, understood requirements for fighters having earned the right to pick some favorable match making at the end of their careers. Age is one of them, but not the only one. For example, GGG is already in his thirties, but his resume is not strong enough to enable him to fight a few big name fighters, like Chavez Jr or Froch, and call it a career. But he knows this, and is actively trying to face the best fighters at 160 and unify the whole division.

Comment

Working...
            X