No announcement yet.

Harder puncher, Liston or Foreman?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tough to call...

I think comparing the two times, Liston may have been more feared....

Then again, nobody wanted it with early Foreman either....

Very tough call....

Liston was built like a brick house....

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      yes, and he said shavers.
      And he said Shavers without question. Also said he was the strongest.

But we also have to consider this was at the end of Ali's career and he had just fought him. Maybe edge it a little.

Generally people say that Shavers' power was unreal. Like superhuman power.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
        Listons jab was not telegraphed, it was damn near perfect. He taught george how to throw a jab.

Ali in the foreman fight was what? 2 lbs heavier than his prime? skinny cruiser of the 60's was a lean ferocious version from the 70's. He had more experience in the 70's but the 60's version that fought Liston would have clowned Foreman sorry.

I am gonna say it again too..these men were not smaller, they trained differently. They trained down in weight, not up. they were big framed men. Thy trained for boxing and stamina, conditioned themselves to box, not lift weights and look huge. Ever see Ali in that interview beside prime Tyson? he dwarfs Tyson.

You people have never boxed. Liston would have been 210 lean with great dexterity and stamina, or 230 of pure muscle or 270 of all fat. It all depends on how he trains. What matters most is skill. Boxing isn't wrestling and the biggest dude in the heavyweight division is almost never the best so I don't know why people keep blowing that horn.

Liston was a heavier framed man than 90 percent of the heavyweights today. His fists were 15-16 around his reach was longer than Deontay Wilders. whats funny too is wilder was 219 lbs against his title fight in stivern. The dude is 6'7. You telling me a 212-215 lb ali is a small man? bulking does **** all in boxing.
        Clearly a man who has had enough of the size rhetoric that's been ongoing for a decade+ here. Have you seen juggernaut's heavybag video posted in NSB? Might bring some perspective on who the people are who care so much about scale numbers.

Comment

Foreman.....

Comment

Foreman was the harder hitter but Liston the better puncher.

Comment

Foreman was the heavier handed puncher. You saw him lift Frazier off the canvass and knock Joe down repeatedly!
              However he didn't have a crispness to his shots because he couldn't keep Joe down. Granted Frazier was one of the most determined fighters of all time but he got hit with big shots.

Sonny Liston had very good technique to his punches if you g0o back and study him you will see combinations put together like Joe Louis used to do. Liston had a great left hook to the body amnd head and is very under rated because young fans watch the Liston/Ali bouts and don't actually study what Liston was all about.

Shavers to me is the harder puncher than all of them. He didn't have greatest technique because he was very long armed for his height so his punches looked awkward at times to me.
              I worked pads with Ernie at an Ohio show he was on and had a few guys to handle. I can tell everyone he hit harder on my pads than anyone I had ever worked with. I kept thinking if I miss his punch and he hits my wrist I'm in big trouble!
              He had decent speed, and great snap and he was strong and heavy handed too. Not heavy like George but he could hurt you badly with glancing shots off your head easily. I had a local guy back in the late 70's named Kenny Schmidt who hit extremely hard too he was 6'2" about 205lbs with fore arms like Popeye!

Bottom line is if any of these men hit you clean with their best your up sh*!s creek! No paddle, No boat, No consciousness.

I know fans have no clue how getting hit by a big puncher feels,
              don't say you do if you've never experienced it! ha!

Ray
              Last edited by Ray Corso; 01-01-2017, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Ridiculous question, because nobody would even know.

Comment

Ali would know!

Comment

Originally posted by Weltschmerz View Post
                    Ridiculous question, because nobody would even know.
                    You could make an educated guess quite easy by footage and opponents...foreman clearly hit harder and shavers power is overatted ..its overatted because he failed to k.o top level guys when he hit them and those guys are very undersized compared to the better bigger guys Foreman k.od. foreman didnt k.o everyone either but his punches certainly had more force behind them 70's or 90's. I would have a few punchers over both.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                      Ali would know!
                      Ali had sighns of brain damage ,such as slurring,bad reflexes..etc...when he fought shavers,if anything Shavers not k.oing Ali at that time shows he wasnt the hard hitter you guys are making him out to be..He hit hard but lets not get carried away.

Comment

Working...
                      X