Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between an infighter, swarmer, and pressure fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between an infighter, swarmer, and pressure fighter?

I've heard these three terms used interchangeably, but what IS the difference between the three?

A fighter may be known to possess all 3 of these qualities but not always

A pressure fighter is someone who does not stop coming and will only have forward momentum

A swarmer likes to overwhelm the opponent with many punches ... whether they are accurate or not

And an inside fighter like to get close where he is most effective

Frazier is a fighter that fits all of these descriptions

Comment

in fighter- carlos palomino

swarmer- henry armstrong

pressure fighter- aaron pryor...

though i think "pressure fighter" is more of a generalised term from which the first two are subtypes...

Comment

pressure fighter Jake LaMotta

swarmer Julio Cesar Chavez

Many swarmers are inside fighters

Comment

swarmer pryor gatti
          infigter ww duran palimino
          pressure frazier lw duran

Comment

I guess Pressure fighter can be used to describe all 3. But pressure does vary, like you say.

Winky Wright was a pressure fighter considering he almost always came forward although his pressure came from a stiff jab & an almost impenetrable high guard pushing forward & forcing his opponent to work.

Then there was the Punisher, definitely a long, swarming type fighter with a fantastic inside game considering his size.

Then you have the Mares's & Chavez jr who work there way to the inside & set up shot with a good body attack. I think all can be considered pressure, but there are different techniques to applying pressure.

Comment

a swarmer is someone who throws alot of punches. alot of punches miss but they create openings and keep their opponent busy.

a pressure fighter is someone who comes forward and cranks up the pace. a pressure fighter doesnt necessarily throw alot of punches or fight inside but it complements the style if they do.

there are very few fighters who are pure inside fighters. most fighters who prefer to fight up close can fight at mid range and sometimes long range too.

theres no real connection between a swarmer and an inside fighter, as long as your arms are long enough you can swarm someone from almost any distance and you obviously dont have to throw nonstop just bcuz you are inside. there is a connection between being a swarmer and a pressure fighter though. a pressure fighter isnt always a swarmer but a swarmer is always a pressure fighter, you can pressure someone without swarming them but you cant swarm someone without pressuring.

same thing kinda applies to being an inside fighter and a pressure fighter, its very hard to be an inside fighter without pressure. if you fight at other distances too its no problem but im talking about fighters who fight ONLY up close, they have to come forward and apply pressure to get there. you dont have to fight inside just bcuz you are appliying pressure though. look at hearns, in several fights of his he was a pressure fighter yet attacking from long range. also picking his punches and not swarming.

Comment

So then I take it Paul Williams was considered a swarmer? In that case, I kind of like swarmers, because they're always throwing punches and that keeps a fight from getting boring, at least to me. I like watching Williams fights online or on DVD. Aren't these guys also called volume punchers? And wasn't Calzaghe a big swarmer/volume puncher later in his career, when he started getting all those hand injuries? And before that, what was he, a knockout puncher or more of a big, heavy handed puncher?

Comment

Salvador Sanchez had this 3 tools

Comment

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
                    in fighter- carlos palomino

swarmer- henry armstrong

pressure fighter- aaron pryor...

though i think "pressure fighter" is more of a generalised term from which the first two are subtypes...
                    IMHO you got Pryor and Armstrong mixed up

Comment

Working...
                    X