No announcement yet.

Best material to stuff a punch bag??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best material to stuff a punch bag??

...i want to refill one of my punch bags but at the same time make it heavier, iv'e been told cut up tires, rolled up carpet, sand , gravell, clothes, leathe strips putting weights in the middle and wrapping them or putting them where you can't hit them..any advice will be gr8ly appreciated!! thanx!!!

ive heard rubber mulch is good, would be like cutting up tyres but easier.

i wanted to do the same thing but i just bought a new bag

Comment

Originally posted by bridger1 View Post
      ive heard rubber mulch is good, would be like cutting up tyres but easier.

i wanted to do the same thing but i just bought a new bag
      i bought a cheap four foot reebok bag, it only weights 20kg, i have a canvas old bag but but it's on its last legs, i thought if i could get the reebok bag up too 55kg it would save me buying a heavy or middle weight bag....i don't know, i had been told so many ways but still don't know which, i'm hoping sum1 with experience with this see's this

Comment

id be worried that the bag would split if it was too heavy, i'm guessing it's a pu bag, not leather.

and if it is only 20kg then it probably wasnt that expensive, the stitching might not be able to hold up for a long time. but i dont know for sure so yeah you need someone with some experience to tell you.

but i think you do get what you pay for, cheap bags, gloves etc. wont last a long time, whereas the higher priced ones last for years, not always the case but usually.

Comment

Originally posted by bridger1 View Post
          id be worried that the bag would split if it was too heavy, i'm guessing it's a pu bag, not leather.

and if it is only 20kg then it probably wasnt that expensive, the stitching might not be able to hold up for a long time. but i dont know for sure so yeah you need someone with some experience to tell you.

but i think you do get what you pay for, cheap bags, gloves etc. wont last a long time, whereas the higher priced ones last for years, not always the case but usually.
          thanx...iv'e got the canvas one, it weighs just under 35kg and is over 25 years old and one strap has just brike, i bought the reebok one for £80 and it's not leather..it has really light stuffing and u can't hit it, looks gr8 but at the moment its useless, maybe i should just add the stuffing from the canvas bag to the reebok and see how that works but who knows???? thanx for the advice

Comment

I've heard the rubber pellets are pretty good, but i can't vouch for them myself. Recently I've been using some bags filled with cut up T-shirts from the salvation army (get a trash bag full for $5-$10, I assume there is a good will with reasonable bulk T-shirt prices around your area). So far this has the best feel in my opinion, they get rather heavy, and you just add more shirts as the bag starts to settle and to speed up the process, you just drop a weight on top of the shirts to help force them down.

I doubt it'd be heavier than sand, but its definately something to try.

Comment

Originally posted by DIB420 View Post
              I've heard the rubber pellets are pretty good, but i can't vouch for them myself. Recently I've been using some bags filled with cut up T-shirts from the salvation army (get a trash bag full for $5-$10, I assume there is a good will with reasonable bulk T-shirt prices around your area). So far this has the best feel in my opinion, they get rather heavy, and you just add more shirts as the bag starts to settle and to speed up the process, you just drop a weight on top of the shirts to help force them down.

I doubt it'd be heavier than sand, but its definately something to try.
              thanx see..there is so many ways!!! thanx

Comment

I your looking to add weight and the bottom of the bag is secure just add beach sand. It will fall to the bottom and will give the bag an even swing. As for stuffing it try a furniture repair shop and see if you can buy a roll of "horse hair"! Its a material that used to be in car seats and old couches.
                Is basicly the material thats under the canvas on a boxing ring floor. Ray

Comment

I believed if i could get the reebok bag up too 55kg it would preserve me purchasing a hefty or center bodyweight bag....i don't know, i had been informed so many methods but still don't know which, i'm expecting sum1 with encounter with this see's this

Comment

An option I'd go with is the rubber mulch. It's durable, of the right weight, and won't breakdown over time. Another option if you cant get mulch would be to use old clothes like others have mentioned but put a weight lifting plate in the bottom of the bag (were you won't punch) for more bag stability.

Comment

Working...
                    X