Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does James Toney Have Better WINS Than Roy Jones Jr?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Nunn and Jirov fights for Toney seems to be risks that Jones didn't take IMO. They were both dangerous champions at the time and correct me if I'm wrong, but i think they were both favorites to beat him. You also have to look at how accomplished both were and how highly they were regarded. Jirov had an extensive amateur pedigree and i believe he was making his 7th defense. And Nunn was going through everyone. I honestly haven't seen Jones fight anyone that dangerous in his prime besides James himself, who had to cut a lot of weight to even make the limit. He was drained.
    Last edited by slicksouthpaw16; 09-30-2011, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slicksouthpaw16 View Post
      The Nunn and Jirov fights for Toney seems to be risks that Jones didn't take IMO. They were both dangerous champions at the time and correct me if I'm wrong, but i think they were both favorites to beat him. You also have to look at how accomplished both were and how highly they were regarded. Jirov had an extensive amateur pedigree and i believe he was making his 7th defense. And Nunn was going through everyone. I honestly haven't seen Jones fight anyone that dangerous in his prime besides James himself, who had to cut a lot of weight to even make the limit. He was drained.
      what was wrong with reggie johnson?

Comment

Originally posted by Ugh! View Post
        what was wrong with reggie johnson?
        He was good but I'm not talking about just a good/unbeaten record, its how much they accomplished in the pros and how highly they were regarded. What makes Johnson as good as Nunn and Jirov? And keep in mind that Toney also beat him.

Comment

He was good but I'm not talking about just a good/unbeaten record, its how much they accomplished in the pros and how highly they were regarded. What makes Johnson as good as Nunn and Jirov? And keep in mind that Toney also beat him.
          toney didn't beat johnson, com on now, robbery, roy beat johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Ugh! View Post
            toney didn't beat johnson, com on now, robbery, roy beat johnson
            I don't really call close fights robberies. Toney did enough to win IMO (though slightly) and was more effective in the later rounds which was critical since Johnson was going after HIS title. I would definitely consider that win legit.

Comment

I see that excuse all the time. But the fact remains that Toney was never "drained" until he lost to Jones. It's a ready made excuse to discredit the Jones win. He certainly didn't show any effects from that in his previous fights and could have moved up in weight if he chose to. Jones beat Toney because he was the better fighter. Period.

Comment

[QUOTE=slicksouthpaw16;11233960]He was good but I'm not talking about just a good/unbeaten record, its how much they accomplished in the pros and how highly they were regarded. What makes Johnson as good as Nunn and Jirov? And keep in mind that Toney also beat him.[/QUOTE]

The difference is Jones dominated Johnson every minute of every round. Johnson dropped Toney and lost a very close decision to Toney. If you're going to compare those fights Jones win was far more impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                  [/U]
                  I see that excuse all the time. But the fact remains that Toney was never "drained" until he lost to Jones. It's a ready made excuse to discredit the Jones win. He certainly didn't show any effects from that in his previous fights and could have moved up in weight if he chose to. Jones beat Toney because he was the better fighter. Period.
                  Wait so according to you, James was in his best shape? I couldn't disagree more. Did you see Toney's love handles? That fight was at 168 and he came in looking like a borderline cruiser. And since when have you known Toney to not let his hands go and give no effort whatsoever? Even against a faster Nunn, he was starting to make the fight close and was continuously stalking Nunn and doing work. I would have loved to seen the Toney that in the shape he was against Barkley, show up against Jones.

I'm actually one of those anti excuse people, but Toney was clearly out of shape and its as clear as night and day.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post

The difference is Jones dominated Johnson every minute of every round. Johnson dropped Toney and lost a very close decision to Toney. If you're going to compare those fights Jones win was far more impressive.
                    The thread is on "who has the better wins" not "who beat Reggie Johnson more clearly". Never did i once compare their wins over Johnson.

Comment

Wait so according to you, James was in his best shape? I couldn't disagree more. Did you see Toney's love handles? That fight was at 168 and he came in looking like a borderline cruiser. And since when have you known Toney to not let his hands go and give no effort whatsoever? Even against a faster Nunn, he was starting to make the fight close and was continuously stalking Nunn and doing work. I would have loved to seen the Toney that in the shape he was against Barkley, show up against Jones.

I'm actually one of those anti excuse people, but Toney was clearly out of shape and its as clear as night and day.
                      Toney was reluctant to open up because he was overwhelmed by Jones hand speed. You can't compare Nunn's speed with Jones. And no, I don't believe for one minute that Toney was "out of shape ."

Comment

Working...
                      X