No announcement yet.

Revisiting Rios vs Abril

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
    I think personally people just need to accept reality & that is Rios is simply not a good boxer.
    Hes a slow, face first brawler whose power and chin are vastly overrated.
    Sorry but a win over Mike Alvarado, an unproven 140lb brawler who was getting schooled by Prescott until he gassed doesn't prove much to me.

He is a notch at best above John Murray. Acosta was outboxing him, John Murray gave it a damn good go despite coming off a horrendous beating & K.O loss to Mitchell. Abril shut Rios out on short notice.

He just isn't very good. In fact to be totally honest as far as I am concerned he is the biggest overachiever in boxing.
    He's one hell of a brawler with a great chin. Not a boxer at all.

Comment

Abril more frustrated him than schooled him. Wasn't as if Abril was doing serious damage himself. Probably exposed the limitations of Rios' offensive capabilities alright.

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
        He's one hell of a brawler with a great chin. Not a boxer at all.

I don't think so, I mean he has tools hes strong, his stamina is good, hes got a fair punch but I don't think hes that good inside myself. Abril is a boxer through and through & he spent a lot of time in the trenches with him and beat him to a pulp.
        I think hes fought a lot of shopworn guys who have made him look that way.

I think his chin is very overrated, hes been down several times (maybe the weight did have something to do with this) and he hasn't really thought a puncher his own size, except Alvarado whose got decent power but its far from one punch K.O power.

He weighed in at 137 then came back to the scales at 139 so I don't think the weight was that much of a problem, Abril also took the fight on short notice.

Comment

I took Abril to school him last time out. A rematch at any weight, 140 or even at welter, I've got Abril to beat him again and even more decisively.

That Cuban cat is no joke, hes technically a very sound fighter all round, just a pity he keeps getting robbed he is the real #1 at 135 in my eyes.

Comment

I like Rios, but I've never completely been sold on him. I feel a good boxer will beat him every time. A Broner type fighter will knock him out or beat the hell out of him.

Comment

He weighed in at 137 then came back to the scales at 139 so I don't think the weight was that much of a problem, Abril also took the fight on short notice.
              In fairness Rios was a dead man at that weight. It was madness to try make 135 again after the Murray fight. Garcia wasn't in favour of it, and the only reason they tried was because the lucrative Gamboa fight was dangled in front of them.

Comment

I think personally people just need to accept reality & that is Rios is simply not a good boxer.
                Hes a slow, face first brawler whose power and chin are vastly overrated.
                Sorry but a win over Mike Alvarado, an unproven 140lb brawler who was getting schooled by Prescott until he gassed doesn't prove much to me.

He is a notch at best above John Murray. Acosta was outboxing him, John Murray gave it a damn good go despite coming off a horrendous beating & K.O loss to Mitchell. Abril shut Rios out on short notice.

He just isn't very good. In fact to be totally honest as far as I am concerned he is the biggest overachiever in boxing.
                exactly................

Comment

If you don't back away from Rios and you just stay in the Pocket like Abril did, you can pick him apart inside...Rios will kill you if you back away and allow yourself to get caught up against the Ropes, that is what Abril did, he stayed in that Shell and basically gave Rios no space to get off with that Power

I think Danny Garcia and Lucas Mattysse both would beat Rios probably by KO

Comment

Great thread, people don't seem to understand that. Chad Dawson looked a million times better than Rios did at the weigh in against Ward, but everyone wants to shit on Ward's win and big up Abril, see the hypocrisy there?

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
                      Great thread, people don't seem to understand that. Chad Dawson looked a million times better than Rios did at the weigh in against Ward, but everyone wants to shit on Ward's win and big up Abril, see the hypocrisy there?
                      Yea. Its almost as if people have completely disregarded Rios' weight situation. Granted, it serves him right for continuing to try and fight that weight in attempt to have a size advantage on fight night. But you can't say it had nothing to do with performance.

And another thing: I'm not saying that Rios is unbeatable. Far from it. My prediction is that he would get beat badly against a guy who is a really good boxer with power and can handle his aggression.

Comment

Working...
                      X